walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Saunter along the Aonach Eagach

Saunter along the Aonach Eagach

Postby alexberry » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:23 pm

Route description: Aonach Eagach

Munros included on this walk: Meall Dearg (Aonach Eagach), Sgòrr nam Fiannaidh (Aonach Eagach)

Date walked: 27/06/2015

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 996m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My first Walkhighlands report! And what a walk to do...

Four of us (friends / work colleagues, ranging in age from 50 to 26, I'm 42) set off to do the Aonach Eagach on Saturday with the promise of reasonable weather. Myself and one other chap are preparing for a shot at the 11 munros of the Cuillins in Skye in August so the Aonach Eagach seemes like ideal preparation, at least in terms of exposure etc.

It's pretty much the standard route. We set off from Allt-na-reigh in the rain, but with the prospect of the weather improving and the cloud lifting. It's a stiff climb right from the start and we were soon at the summit of Am Bodach.

From there, we made our way along the ridge, overcoming the succession of obstacles along the way. At no stage were we left unsure of how to progress. The scrambling itself is reasonably simple, with the challenge coming from the exposure. But even then, we weren't hanging around to contemplate the what-ifs and none of us really felt in any danger at any stage. It was just thoroughly good fun. The highlight for me is the chimney climb relatively early on, but there are so many excellent steps to get over it's hard to pick anything out.

Once along the ridge and onto Sgorr nam Fiannaidh, the visibiliy was stunning and we took the decision to make our way down per the SMC route directly to the South. NB this is not the Clachaig Gully, but East of there. It's a tough descent through scree and steep grass slopes. The potential to slip is there and you can see how easy it would be to injure yourself, but perhaps without the potential to kill yourself as via the Clachaig Gully. To be honest, it's really just the knees that take a battering on the route down we took.

Once back to the road, the lure of the Clachaig Inn was there, as you'll see from the GPS route. A quick pint of fresh orange and lemonade before the drive back to Edinburgh. A fantastic day out, and definitely one of the best walks in Scotland.

If anyone's interested, I've posted a film of edited highlights on YouTube from the day taken with a new camera I recently acquired. The footage is a little shaky, so there's a risk of inducing motion sickness, not to mention vertigo. I don't seem to be able to post a link to it at this stage, but if anyone wants to see it it's here youtu.be/AlgGiKqdvxU

Off to the Lake District in a couple of weeks with the prospect of doing Striding Edge, and perhaps Sharp Edge with my nine-year-old daughter. The real dare-devil in the family. :-)
Attachments

activity_816659285.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

alexberry
Munro compleatist

Munros:76   

Re: Saunter along the Aonach Eagach

Postby jamesb63 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:49 pm

Looks like an enjoyable day all round :clap: :clap:
Still one I have to do :D
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Munros:218   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland