walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ring of Steall and Buchaille Etive Beag

Ring of Steall and Buchaille Etive Beag

Postby malrobb » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:49 pm

Date walked: 25/05/2015

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hi,

I thought I would show this quite cool way of doing walk reports by using a (free) app called Sway. Its made by Microsoft and you wil need to have a Microsoft Account eg a Outlook.com, Hotmail, live email address but you can produce a Sway on IPads and IPhones. Seems to be quite a quick and easy way of sharing photographs and text in a pretty simple and engaging way. Would be interested to hear feedback on the tool really as oppose to the writing.

https://sway.com/Pj8NK7lK7cXHF6K7
malrobb
Mountain Walker

Munros:201   

Re: Ring of Steall and Buchaille Etive Beag

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:44 pm

Yes, definitely an interesting alternative. I particularly liked the fact that the big pics filled the entire screen. The main downside for me personally is that I'm not very familiar with many of the areas in Scotland, and I very much like the route map feature on WH: I always look at these when people include them in a report (which they usually do!).

Is it quicker to use than the native WH set up?

The thing that seems to take most time for me is uploading my pics into Flikr, and then sorting and chosing them! I'm not sure this would remove this task!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby malrobb » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:06 pm

I think it is probably slightly quicker and is very intuitive, but I think the main advantage is that it just lets you share rich content a lot easier, so you can share movies, maps etc without knowing how to write code. The pain of uploading will not go away but if you say insert a picture, it will give you a choice of sources to select from of which Flickr is one as well as OneDrive, online images as well as images on your computer.

Here is the link if you want to try it:

https://sway.com/

Enjoy
malrobb
Mountain Walker

Munros:201   

Postby Silverhill » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:38 pm

Very nice pictures, even in the dull weather! 8)
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland