walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Ghaordaidh & Beinn nan Oighreag

Meall Ghaordaidh & Beinn nan Oighreag

Postby MiniRambo » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:53 pm

Route description: Meall Ghaordaidh from Glen Lochay

Munros included on this walk: Meall Ghaordaidh

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn nan Oighreag

Date walked: 27/06/2015

Time taken: 6.3 hours

Distance: 14.3 km

Ascent: 1220m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The time had come for my usual day trip to climb some Scottish hills and it was originally intended to try Ben Lui in a linear route, depositing a car at either end, however, with the forecast for rain on Friday, I didn't fancy wading through deep water to cross the river at the end of the walk. It was also to be the first Munro walk for two friends/work colleagues so didn't want to scare them and stop them from coming again! :lol: :lol:

So a last minute change of plan was hatched and decided upon Meall Ghaordaidh (or Geordie as it was to become known - Craig is a Newcastle Utd fan) with the addition of the Corbett, Beinn nan Oighreag, if they were still up for it (btw, they referred to the Corbett as a 'Ronnie' after the comedian - the youth have no respect! :lol: :lol: )

So Chris set off early from Lancaster and arrived at Appleby just after 6am, almost at the same time as my brother, also Chris and my nephew Andrew. We travelled north and picked up Craig on the outskirts of Carlisle just before 7am. Thankfully the motorway was quiet and we were soon at Hamilton where we made a quick pit stop and then onwards to Killin and our destination on the single track road in Glen Lochay. We were lucky to get the last noticeable parking space to the west of the starting point for the walk. Booted and away by 10am with pleasant, calm and dry weather conditions.

P1050212_800x600.JPG
The boys ready for the off.

P1050213_800x600.JPG
Making way through the farmland.

The route climbs up through farm land, through a gate and over a large stile. A tractor track is picked up and this leads upwards through fresh growth of bracken. A small cairn to the left of the track marks the point where we then followed the footpath up towards broad south east flank of M G. We met another walker on his way down having climbed MG and heading to Crianlarich to climb another with only 5 Munros left to compleat - oh how jealous am I? 8) :clap:

P1050214_800x600.JPG
First view of B n O

P1050215_800x600.JPG
The small cairn showing the path leaving the track

P1050216_800x600.JPG
Looking east to the Tarmacans

From here it is a relentless and constant uphill climb to the summit of M G with underfoot conditions invariably damp yet not problematic, although It was good to reach the point where rock became more of a feature. The weather conditions had changed to light, intermittent showers and the summit itself had a covering of cloud but this would lift as we topped out.

P1050217_800x600.JPG
Climbing steadily upwards to M G

P1050218_800x600.JPG
From the path up M G, looking north to Cam Chreag

P1050219_800x600.JPG
Chris, Craig and Chris. View back to Killin.

P1050220_800x600.JPG
Looking north again.

P1050221_800x600.JPG
Almost there..

P1050223_800x600.JPG
Still climbing...

We met another man on his way down - a retired vet from Perth and at the summit another couple who had set off in front of us. Andrew was easily the first of our group to summit, followed by my bro, me, Chris and Craig. As we were having our sandwiches, Craig let us know that he had almost turned around as he was struggling with the climb. Chris was also suffering from a cold as well as asthma, so I was chuffed for them both to make it.

P1050224_800x600.JPG
Happy smiley faces!

This was their 1st Munro and my 50th! 8)

Distant views weren't great but we were able to gauge a few other local hills and recognise Beinn Mhanach at the west end of Loch Lyon, the Munro we climbed 12m ago.

It was at about this point that I realised my GPS wasn't recording the route properly. :( :( The guys were feeling better from having a rest and getting some food inside them and we all set off with renewed energy to make our way along the meandering east/north east ridge of M G over Cam Chreag and towards the point shown as 815 on the OS map. We continued a little further along the ridge to avoid the crags before dropping down the steep flank directly east to the watershed between Lairig Luaidhe and Allt na h-lolaire.

P1050226_800x600.JPG
Just setting off down the ridge..

P1050227_800x600.JPG
Snow under the north east face of M G

P1050228_800x600.JPG
The route to B n O

P1050230_800x600.JPG
Looking back to M G

We were all still together, although Craig had suffered a nasty graze to his leg when the ground gave way under his foot and he scraped it on a rock. We plastered it with liberal amounts of Germolene and he carried on without any whinging. Top man. :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap:

P1050231_800x600.JPG
At the low point before the climb up to B n O

The climb up to the ridge on Beinn nan Oighreag was steep and relentless, nevertheless Andrew was at the top like a whippet while the rest of us huffed and puffed our way up. A short walk to the 909m summit followed but I wasn't sure if it was the top so jogged over to the northern top just to make sure. We all gained our first Ronnie, sorry, Corbett :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol:

P1050232_800x600.JPG
From B n O ridge looking across to M G

P1050233_800x600.JPG
Craig topping out on B n O....

P1050234_800x600.JPG
...and Chris too.

P1050235_800x600.JPG
Group photo on B n O

After a quick stop for refreshment, we headed directly south, over the minor southern top before descending over Carn Shionnach. We followed a faint path down but it soon petered out so we made our way down and over the the Allt na h-lolaire, also over a number of its tributaries before crossing the boundary fence and regaining the tractor track we used at the start of the day. As we got closer to the car, the sun came out and it became very warm.

P1050236_800x600.JPG
Looking north along the ridge of B n O

P1050237_800x600.JPG
View towards the Tarmacans

P1050238_800x600.JPG
View south towards Glen Lochay

It had been an enjoyable day with a strenuous walk but also with good company. Hopefully Chris and Craig will come along again for another ramble at some point. 8)
MiniRambo
Mountain Walker

Munros:52   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Meall Ghaordaidh & Beinn nan Oighreag

Postby Silverhill » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:38 pm

Congratulations on reaching 50! :clap: I see no evidence of or reference to celebrations on the summit. Hopefully you made amends in a pub afterwards! :wink: Good luck for the next milestone! :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland