walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tuesday evening above Glen Feshie

Tuesday evening above Glen Feshie

Postby malky_c » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:26 pm

Munros included on this walk: Sgòr Gaoith

Date walked: 30/06/2015

Time taken: 3.8 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 1020m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Munros: Sgor Gaoith
Date: 30/06/2015.
Distance: 19km.
Ascent: 1020m.
Time taken: 3 hours, 50 minutes.
Weather: Warm and windy. Couple of showers, cloud down on plateau.

Most summers I like to try and get onto the hills after work, but unless I'm out on site somewhere interesting, the scramble to leave work at a decent time, have the car on hand and escape Inverness seems to get more difficult every year. With a sudden heat wave appearing on Tuesday, and fortunately having the car close by, I was heading down the A9 by 4:30. The weather forecast wasn't entirely promising, but buoyed by the high temperatures and sunshine in town, I decided to think big. Rather than sticking to my heathery plan around the moors above Tomatin, I continued past Aviemore and down to Glen Feshie.

By the time I'd parked at the carpark near Auchlean, the showery weather was pushing in from the south and the wind was much stronger than in Inverness. It was still above 20 degrees though, so pretty benign.

Gaoith.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A shower began as I passed Auchlean, and I decided to get straight on the hill rather than carrying on down the glen to the shoulder of Meall nan Sleac. I'd never been up the new path onto Carn Ban Mor before, although I'd seen a couple of photos to prepare me for the motorway that it is. My route choices were somewhat made up as I went along - would I head towards Sgor Gaoith or back to the rim of Coire Garbhlach once on the plateau?

Meall nan Sleac from Auchlean carpark:

Auchlean:

I passed a couple of people descending and kept moving through the worst showers, and then it was sunny again. However the cap of cloud on the plateau didn't lift so I doubted I'd be lucky enough to get the views down onto Loch Einich that I wanted.

Carn Ban Mor from Glen Feshie:

Across Glen Feshie to Carn Dearg Mor:

Geal Charn:

On the plateau, it was a sharp left in the clag, and in no time I was on Carn Ban Mor (which I'd somehow not been up before). I took a bearing from the summit cairn to Fuaran Diotach (the breakfast well). There were more direct routes to Sgor Gaoith, but I like this little corner with the ruined bothy. Once there the cloud almost cleared, and I got a brief glance of sunshine on the moorland leading out to Loch Morlich. Should have gone there!

Fuaran Diotach and the remains of the old bothy:

Back in the cloud, I part walked, part jogged to the summit of Sgor Gaoith, which I reached just before 7:30 pm. I sat around for almost 10 minutes hoping for the clag to clear, but despite a couple of promising holes above, it didn't. Although I thought I'd return by Meall Dubhag to the south, I changed my mind and kept going towards Sgoran Dubh Mor. In 2008 I found my way up onto the plateau from Loch Einich - quite an interesting way up. I got a very brief glimpse down there just now, but the cloud was filling the glen, so was unlikely to clear properly.

Loch Einich:

I decided to run down to Meall Buidhe as the ground was fairly easy going. As soon as I was off the dome of the plateau, I was back out onto clear summits and even the odd bit of sunshine. I always enjoy views out over Strathspey - it seems so fertile, but also quite wild and forested at the same time.

Upper Strathspey and Geal Charn (the Pattack one):

Approaching Geal Charn from Meall Buidhe:

Sgoran Dubh Mor:

Across to the Northern Corries:

Creag Leth-choin:

I took a more relaxed approach to the traverse to Geal Charn - good thing as there was quite a lot of walking over loose stones. The views from here (and a prominent cairn just beyond) were even better. This almost made up for the lack of views into Glen Einich.

Strathspey from Geal Charn:

Down Strathspey and Loch an Eilean:

Back to the Carn Ban Mor plateau:

Descent was steep and heathery (and also a bit bouldery in places), but before long I was on a good path in the corrie. This led me down through the forest and eventually to the Auchlean road. There were a couple of options for staying in the trees, but these looked to involve a bit of up and down and it was now getting on a bit. I preferred the nice easy couple of miles back along the road instead.

Creag Ghiuthsachain:

Back up to Sgor Gaoith:

Hares the size of deer:

Creag Mhigeachaidh:

Not quite the Cairngorm experience I was after, but what turned out to be a very pleasant way of visiting some of the western tops. Not sure why I was concerned about darkness as I was eating my dinner outside in the garden at 11:30 pm with a last glint of sunset still showing behind Ben Wyvis.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Tuesday evening above Glen Feshie

Postby dogplodder » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:16 am

Reminds me of taking Canadian and Dutch friends up Sgor Gaoith, the cloud coming in and finding that ruined bothy on the way back. Do you know why it's called the breakfast well?
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Sgurr » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:21 am

Met some French birders up there once and we all saw dotterel, which was what they had come to see.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby ilovescotty » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:42 am

!!!!! My girlfriend and I saw a huge hare on the way to Glen Feshie in late May this year. We were gobsmacked at the size! from a distance it looked like a small deer coming towards us, and as it got closer I could hardly believe what it actually was!!

Didn't get a photo unfortunately but i'm pleased to know that someone else has seen one of these mutants!
ilovescotty
Munro compleatist

Munros:5   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:2

Postby davegreg » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:54 am

I can see the rainbow clearly. It's very beautiful!
davegreg

Postby weedavie » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:14 am

I'd never been up the new path onto Carn Ban Mor before, although I'd seen a couple of photos to prepare me for the motorway that it is.

We came down this in February - neither of us had been on it for 5 years or so. We recognised it had changed but in the way of it, couldn't work out how. It was one of these afternoons where the snow pellets were battering down on the gale so for once we weren't being prissy about change as long as we could motor.
weedavie
Mountain Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland