walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

It was a question of height?

It was a question of height?

Postby Fife Flyer » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:55 pm

Munros included on this walk: Stob Bàn (Grey Corries)

Date walked: 03/07/2015

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 871m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

No map attached as it was a textbook walk (for a change), following the WH route 8)

At last I was able to escape having been medically grounded, 3 weeks away from the hills was not my idea of fun.
A weather window appeared on the horizon on the back of the record breaking temperatures down south.
My plan was not to tackle anything too ambitious just in case the knee started to react, so I 'hand picked' Stob Ban in the Corries as that seemed like a great chance to get back into the swing of things again.
I contacted Karen to see if she was available and fancied a day out, along with driving duties - her car it slightly better suited to trundle up the track to the parking area past Coire Choille Farm, as anyone who has been up that way will appreciate. If your car has firm suspension or is sensitive to slightly rough terrain, forget it :lol:
A post on the 'Meets' section attracted a few lurkers and before I knew it we had a gang of 5 heading up to Spean Bridge.
We opted for the usual early (ish) start, I picked David (kaiserstein) & Cat (cmarcol) up from Inverkeithing Railway Station at 5.50, the scheduled pick up, was Dobbies in Perth at 6.30, where I uplifted another David (stirlingdavo) and off we headed to Crianlarich, where we all disembarked and piled into Karen's car for the rest of the journey.
We arrived at the parking area and set off about 9.30. The plan was for kaiserstein to walk with us until he reached the 500m contour, where he would turn left & head uphill on his Corbett mission and tackle the "Innse(s)" and we would then meet up later on at the bothy for the stroll back down to the car.

Quick pose

Man on a mission, kaiserstein romping up the 'wee' hills (zoomed)

Kaiserstein is there

The bothy at the foot of Stob Ban

Bothy interiorc

Not too much bedding space

Sgurr Innse looking quite impressive

We had a look inside the bothy before crossing the bridge and then heading up the slopes that would take us to Stob Ban. There is a small cairn indicating the point where you leave the main path and start heading up, the first problem is crossing the Allt a' Chuil Choirean. You have a choice either the rickety bridge that looks like it is on it's last legs or stepping stones. On the way up we opted for the bridge, making sure we didn't overload it by crossing one at a time :lol:

Karen admiring the bridge?

Looking back, Cat trying her best not to be in the photo :lol:

Looking back again, path not quite the same as the one up to the bothy

Looking ahead to the summit

The UK's smallest tree - a dwarf willow, thanks to David for educating us during the day, if your passion is butterflies - David is your man :wink:

3 hours after setting off we were on the summit of Stob Ban and what views we were treated to, obviously the Grey Corries dominate the view to north, but the views of the Mamores were superb.
The main topic of conversation on the summit was how superb Binnein Mor was looking and we were sure that it looked higher than Ben Nevis. Admittedly the Ben was much further away, but it still didn't look higher.
We spent the best part of half an hour on the summit and were joined by another couple of walkers, big thanks to one of them who almost volunteered to take a group photo.

The Binnein's Mor (the big one) and Beag (the wee one)

The Grey Corries

Grey Corries, Ben Nevis (with the snow)

Looking SW down the shoulder

Looking SE

Looking down to the way back

Once David and I managed to persuade the ladies to vacate their comfortable summit seats, we headed downhill. We were basically returning via our ascent path, it seemed to be much steeper going down :lol:
About half way down the descent we could see a figure lingering near the bothy, so we knew David had completed his mission and would have to amuse himself until we joined him.
The highlight of the descent was a small group of 4 deer galloping across the path below us.

One of the locals making a brief appearance

Once we met up with kaiserstein, we briefly swapped stories and then started the long trudge back to the car.
We had been very fortunate on the insect front, the only area they kind of bothered us, was as we passed by the forested area, apart from that a gentle pleasant breeze was obviously too much for them - they really do need to 'man up' if they want to feast on us :lol:
We arrived back at Karen's car almost 6 hrs later, we were kind of dreading opening the car doors as the sun had been out for a good part of the day, but we were pleasantly surprised 8) as the temperature in the car wasn't too bad :lol:
Another memorable day, big thanks to Karen for kind of volunteering to drive and to the rest of the gang for your company. David (davo) hope you can make the summer meet, you know you want to join in the fun :wink:

Next target - CMD, hopefully there will be a half decent day between next Friday & Sunday :wink:
Last edited by Fife Flyer on Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: It was a question of height?

Postby ancancha » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:18 pm

You had me a bit foxed with the view of Binnein Mor looking after Binnein Beag until I sorted out there are two Stob Bans :roll:
I really enjoyed Binnein Mor and looking down on Binnein Beag from the summit

Binnein Mor Binnein Beag Grey Corries From Peak.jpg

Glad your knee is better and you are back enjoying yourself, great photo of Binnein Mor :clap:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby dav2930 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:43 pm

Glad you're back in action after your knee problem. Quite a striking peak is Stob Ban isn't it? And rather steep near the top! And quite a long walk-in along the landrover track (unless you cycle it, as I did). Not bad going straight after being medically grounded! 8)
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby simon-b » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:18 pm

Good to see you back on the hills Martin. It's a nice little Munro, and yesterday was a great day in that area. I was trying to see you all on that Stob Ban (I was on the other one later in the day) from An Gearanach, but might have been a bit early. Your picture of the Mamore Binneins is a beauty; it makes the direct route from Beag to Mor look well nigh impossible (it's not, I did on Wednesday so it must be very doable :lol: ). Torrential downpours in the West Highlands this morning. You picked the right day to be out, and I got the right day to drive back here to sunny Yorkshire. Enjoy the Nevis range.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Collaciotach » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:59 pm

Good stuff and some craicing pictures :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby basscadet » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:22 am

Glad you're knee is better - only a couple of weeks and you are back out already - brilliant 8)

I got a minging day for this one, so nice to see some good pics of it :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:21 pm

Nice report.

We enjoyed perfect weather for Stob Ban...aside from the fact that soft snow made the walk in a nightmare! The bothy was pretty chilly (got it up to +4c inside after 6 hours of stove, the ice on the floor never fully melted though), but the next day was superb. Still took a long time to "swim" up the hill though, despite being so close to the bottom, walked out the next morning. So, you took 6 hours, we took 48!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:33 pm

I see this old wooden bridge has tilted even more since I jumped up and down on it :lol: :lol:

Great "wee" hill this one. Some walkers on a mission add it to the main GC ridge, but it's a lovely short-ish walk by itself. You had better views than we did last year - the cloud was lower for us.

It is worth returning to this area for the Innses - one of the best Corbetts I've done so far!
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Backpacker » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:56 pm

I was up there yesterday, thought I was walking in your footsteps when I found myself walking through ankle bog taking the wrong "path" up :lol: :lol:
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby cmarcol » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:16 pm

No mention of the part where you called me huge then pointed out that my dinner in the pub was the biggest portion of all..... I've came off that hill with a complex! :(

Great day for it. Really enjoyed it and look forward to the CMD whenever it happens :lol:
cmarcol
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:22
Fionas:6   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland