walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn Glas-choire - a short one from Speyside

Carn Glas-choire - a short one from Speyside

Postby malky_c » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:50 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Càrn Glas-choire

Date walked: 18/06/2010

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 400m

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

When I started writing up walk reports about 6 months ago, I was only going to bother with the best ones. However, I seem to have got a bit carried away, and so far, everything I've done this year has been documented. Nothing wrong with this hill, but the report is probably only of interest to some.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

My original plan had been to head up onto the Cairngorm plateau for a quick morning walk, but time was limited, and there was a cap of cloud sitting across the Northern Corries. Probably a good thing, as I still had a cold, and was really just testing the water for a longer day on Saturday. Parked a hundred yards or so past the track for Auchterteang and walked towards the farm. The track goes right past the front door, and as the occupants were around, I said hi. I'm sure I remember an article in the Angry Corrie mentioning access problems here some time back, but they were happy enough for walkers to be passing through. The only gripe they had was with people parking right on the junction of their driveway (something I thankfully hadn't done).
Picture 001.jpg
Carn Glas-choire from the B9007
Picture 003.jpg
Cairngorms from above Auchterteang

From the farm, the track continued towards the hill, passing a stalking bothy en route. Shortly after that, there was a major fork, with the right-hand branch leading off to Drynachan, on the river Findhorn. I believe this route is followed by the Nairnshire Challenge.

My route went off left, and the track ascended almost to the plateau (some maps, including those provided by Multimap, don't show this). A bike could easily be used to this point. From here, a straightforward 10 - 15 min walk across the plateau to the summit trig point.
Picture 007.jpg
Cairngorms from the summit
Picture 010.jpg
Ben Rinnes from the top of the estate track

This hill makes up one of a trio of Grahams in the wedge of land between Strathnairn and the Spey. They are all fairly similar, but this one offers the most varied approach and has the best views of the Cairngorms. Stupidly, I dropped my phone somewhere between the end of the track and the summit, and it took me half an hour of wandering about to find it again! This made me late for picking up my wife from work, so I hurried back down the same route, as it was probably the quickest.
Picture 012.jpg
The bothy
Picture 015.jpg
Cairngorms (now clear of cloud) from the descent

So, not really a hill worth driving hours to, but pleasant enough and with good views of the Cairngorms and Speyside if you happen to be in the area.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:319   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Carn Glas-choire - a short one from Speyside

Postby walk aboot » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:49 pm

Nice report malky_c, plenty of useful information :)
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby Graeme D » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:09 pm

Doing research into a shortish route on the drive back down from Torridon on Sunday - this looks like it may fit the bill! 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:125
Fionas:76   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby ChrisW » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:56 am

Certainly of interest to me Malky, but then I've been off the site for so long I've got withdrawal symptoms :lol: Looks like the kind of hill I used to love. Got to say I'm impressed with your phone finding skills....how much swearing did you do whilst looking for it :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby kevsbald » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:39 am

Nice wee pad this one. Quite a feeling of isolation on it - the top is oddly spongy though.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:277   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby hills » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:36 pm

Interest to me too, like these type of freedom walks, have this planned soon. :D
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Postby Gog the Mild » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:47 pm

Thanks Malky, very handy.
Gog the Mild
Munro compleatist

Munros:23   Corbetts:156
Fionas:153   Donalds:30
Hewitts:47
Wainwrights:3   

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland