walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Winched into the sky from the mountain of the fairies

Winched into the sky from the mountain of the fairies

by dogplodder » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:58 pm

Route description: Ben Tee, Kilfinnan

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Tee

Date walked: 22/04/2015

Distance: 10 km

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Winched into the sky from the mountain of the fairies

Postby dogplodder » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:15 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Goodness me, quite a tale. Glad Mary was OK.

Thanks Mal.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby dogplodder » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:21 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Hi dogplodder - hope Mary is recovering well.

I wouldn't bother sticking anything on the "Meeting Up" thread - don't think you'll get many takers :)

I don't know Gordie - for nail biting options you have the Cuillin ridge, the Aonach Eagach...... and now you can add venturing out with dogplodder. :crazy:
dogplodder

Postby weaselmaster » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:13 pm

Glad it ended well and she's recovering.
Helpfully it was on a hill with phone reception too - a different matter if there was no reception in the area.
Not the sort of injury you'd want if on your own and out of phone contact :shock:
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:195   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby Silverhill » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:31 pm

Good to hear that Mary is on the mend. She was lucky to have you by her side! :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby dogplodder » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:21 am

ancancha wrote:Incredible Sgurr's comment about the rescue services not being thanked and appreciated :crazy:

As you say - incredible. :o
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:24 am

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Fantastic report, the photos are stunning and it's good to have the detail of what happens when something does go wrong. Your experience of getting people rescued makes you a very valuable walking partner :lol: :lol: :lol:
I completely agree with your comments about MR they provide an amazing service.

So you'll still walk with me then? :lol:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:38 am

SAVAGEALICE wrote:Goodness me :shock: ...a reminder that accidents can easily happen to anyone ..and we should all be prepared. Hope Mary is doing well.

I'm hoping Mary will come on with an update herself but in the meantime here are a couple of Rob's pics of her in Ullapool when she had decided the small matter of having a leg in plaster wasn't going to stop her getting the use of her recently acquired bus pass! :D

11401082_974543852591013_3110784620468756406_n-large.jpg

549365_974544165924315_3278209201287380527_n-large.jpg
dogplodder

Postby maryw » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:30 am

Here is Mary, the subject of dogplodder's report! It will certainly be a lasting reminder of a great sunny day out on the hill which went a bit pear-shaped towards the end! Thank you for the good wishes for my recovery, I have been out of the plaster cast for three weeks now, walking on one or two crutches (two outdoors in public in case I wobble and fall over!!). Mostly stiffness remaining in the ankle, not pain, but improving with physio exercises, and I walk regularly on level-ish surfaces at a speed of around one mile per hour, so not up to hillwalking for a while yet - but one day I'll be back! Raigmore physio may as well give me a season ticket, as I have been on their books since January, moving seamlessly from treatment for a fractured upper arm (fall from bike on black ice on Christmas Day, trying to get to my care home job!) to treatment for ankle fracture, I must have met half the physio staff one way or another on the ward, in outpatients, hydrotherapy pool etc, but all very good! I discovered Inverness Coastguard have a Facebook page, and was able to leave a message of appreciation for the helicopter team, which I'm assured would be passed on to them - they were very professional, caring and efficient throughout. Though I hope not to meet them in a professional capacity again any time soon, or ever....
maryw
Munro compleatist

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:45 pm

maryw wrote:Here is Mary, the subject of dogplodder's report! It will certainly be a lasting reminder of a great sunny day out on the hill which went a bit pear-shaped towards the end! Thank you for the good wishes for my recovery, I have been out of the plaster cast for three weeks now, walking on one or two crutches (two outdoors in public in case I wobble and fall over!!). Mostly stiffness remaining in the ankle, not pain, but improving with physio exercises, and I walk regularly on level-ish surfaces at a speed of around one mile per hour, so not up to hillwalking for a while yet - but one day I'll be back!

Glad to know you are recovering Mary - hope to join you and DP some time in the future on the hills :D I reckon I'll be in safe hands :lol: :lol:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby Emmanuelle » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:48 am

Reading this well after the event and I hope Mary's recovery is proceeding apace. Her wish to return to the hills ASAP is pretty remarkable and I, for one, applaud her.

All I'd say is that she might have to work quite hard at the rehab. My mum broke her ankle a few 6-7 years ago (slipping on ice) and had excellent medical and surgical treatment in Bourg St Maurice. However she needed to have 68 (yes 68) physio sessions (all paid for by the French health service) to stretch her achilles' tendon. Every week she'd go to her physio for him to manipulate her foot back and forth gently to stretch it. My mum is now 77, and unless she walks slowly when there is a slight limp, you wouldn't know there was anything wrong with her. But she and the physio had to keep the faith that he would restore her to full function. So keep the faith!

And yes, the MR folk are absolutely amazing. One of my friends is both a firefighter and a MR guy in the Ochils and such altruism must be celebrated.
Emmanuelle
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:78
Fionas:6   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:4   
Wainwrights:1   

Postby railton22 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:55 pm

That's some report Dogplodder. :shock: Epic. Sending get well wishes to Mary. Please don't go for the hat-trick
railton22
Mountaineer

Munros:186   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:10   

Postby dogplodder » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:28 pm

spiderwebb wrote:Jeez some report and day you had there. So glad to here she's ok. When I first read the report I checked the date as whilst working at Raigmore I saw the CG Rescue fly in twice ! But it wasn't you :lol:

We can see Raigmore from the house and Pete said the helicopter was in and out several times that day so pretty busy apart from their trip down the Great Glen! 8)
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:41 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Hi there dogplodder, a perfect day for the hills, superb weather what could go wrong? It is a very timely reminder for all lone hillwalkers me included how easily something like this can happen and it doesnt have to be on a major climb but can be anywhere. Hope Mary is progressing andjust goes to show what an excellent service Mountain Rescue does. Since I had a fall which resulted in nothing more than bruised ribs on West Lomond on wet snow I have been a little more careful especially when on my own. It's amazing how quickly it can happen, so take care all.

You're absolutely right and an accident can happen in perfect conditions and anywhere. :o
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:02 pm

basscadet wrote:How eventful :shock:

Probably horrible at the time, but glad everyone is on the mend now, and a good story to tell in the pub/bothy/wherever.. :D

A good story for the 3 year old grandsons who're all heavily into helicopters. 8)
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:51 pm

Beaner001 wrote:Just goes to show how easily an accident can happen.....Hope Mary is on the mend and well done you and the emergency services for the quick action :thumbup:
I aim to include this one with the two Loch Lochy Munros at some point.

It's a great viewpoint and certainly worth including! :D
dogplodder

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland