walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Clagtastic! Not!

Clagtastic! Not!

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:58 pm

Route description: Ben Avon via Gleann an-Slugain

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Bhùird, Ben Avon

Date walked: 30/06/2015

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 38 km

Ascent: 1380m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Yeehaa another biketastic adventure !

Start this time was from the rather beautiful Invercauld estate- well worth the £2 parking fee to have a clean toilet and wash facility :thumbup:

I was lucky to be given some valuable advice about this walk, first was from Val - if I'm not enjoying the cycling ditch the bike after you leave the forest-( did that) and second was from Monty- use the long flat terrain to run most of it. I wasn't too sure about this but was keeping my options open.

After ditching the bike I followed the higher path to the lodge and after a crappy scrambly ascent I was up on an amazing path. A smashing curvy gently ascending path all the way to the Sneck. Unfortunately the clag that I had hoped would clear was still hanging about :(
Turned right up to the steeper slopes of Ben Avon and met two blokes who were heading over to Beinn a Bhuird. Made my way as best I could to the Tors and clambered through the middle section only to discover a very easy path coming from the left. :crazy: No expert scrambling alas- just a bumshuffle to what I hope was the summit. :D

A quick shuffle down and then onwards and downwards to Beinn aBhuird. Although a good path to begin with, I some found myself unsure of where to go so I did two things I got out my GPS and I ran! And so that's what I did- run, check, run, check until I reached the disappointing summit- :lol: A quick word with a woman running around the summits on a challenge run and then another encounter two different guys and I was off as fast I could down to the Sneck. Happy to be back in the land of visibility, I slowed down and ate for the first time on the walk :shock: :shock:

Feeling a bit more relaxed and all fuelled up I decided to start a gentle jog and then into a faster run. Before I knew I was back at the ruins, this time I took the lower path and had a wee rummage around the charming Fairy Glen. Another 30 min jog saw me back at my bike and then a speedy downhill cycle to the carpark. :D :D

Despite these hills being a long journey in and out I would happily repeat them to get the amazing views that I'm pretty sure I missed out on :crazy: :crazy:
b1.jpg
b2.jpg
b3.jpg
b4.jpg
b5.jpg
b6.jpg
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland