walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Great Weekend in Skye

A Great Weekend in Skye

Postby jupe1407 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:50 am

Route description: Elgol peninsula circuit

Date walked: 05/07/2015

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 9.77 km

Ascent: 396m

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Since our first visit to Skye together in May 2013, despite four days of utterly atrocious weather, and a further two visits to the island, again featuring atrocious weather would be enough to put most folk off. However Anne and I love the place, it's a photographers' paradise, even in dodgy weather, and there's something special about the journey to get there as well. I love the drive past Lochs Laggan and Lochy, the wee cairns overlooking Loch Loyne then the dramatic drive through the formidable mountains of Glen Shiel.

And so it was time for another visit. Initially I had formed a plan to summit camp on Sgurr na Stri on Friday, before moving to our more homely comforts at the wonderful Pier House Apartment in Elgol. However, a crap forecast for Friday night, and difficulty in getting enough time off work put the kibosh on that idea, so we headed through on Saturday, the weather initially as forecast was terrible, but once we got to Loch Duich, things improved, so we nipped half a mile up the Lochcarron road to a car park with a fine view of the Sisters.

Skye-1.jpg
The Five Sisters of Kintail

After some faffing around taking various other photos, we headed to Kyle of Lochalsh to get some provisions (alcohol) and continued on to Elgol via Broadford. It's around 16 miles on a single track road, which is tremendous fun when there's been a wedding in Elgol and all the guests are driving home :lol:

We eventually arrived at Pier House, a wonderful apartment we found on this site. We unpacked then spent some time staring at the view from the living room window. I'd highly recommend this place to anyone looking for fine 2-person accommodation.

2015-07-05 15.52.42 (600x338).jpg
The View

After wolfing down a chicken Balti for tea, we watched Andy Murray win his match and decided to take the short walk to the beach to photograph the sunset, as the tide was now heading out. It was a beautiful night.

Skye-2.jpg
Elgol Sunset

Unfortunately doom in insect form lay in wait. We decide to walk along the beach then get up to the cliff path. The midges were ferocious. I took one shot and almost ran back to the shore. Anne stuck around and now resembles a human dartboard. There was no respite from them at all and we soon headed back to the apartment, doubtless pursued by a cloud of midges.

The following morning, we decided to tackle something quite easy. My knees are still gubbed, so any form of mountain, or remotely strenuous hillwalk was out of the question. It had been a couple of years since we'd first walked out to Camasunary bothy, so we settled on this lovely walk again. This makes up one leg of the Elgol Coastal Circuit, though we wouldn't be doing the whole thing.

It's a short drive to the start point at Kilmarie and the ample car parking on the roadside.

We started off in overcast conditions, but in truth, just grateful not to be getting an absolute soaking.

Skye Trip-1.jpg
Anne ready for the off

The walk is pretty straightforward, following a wide track over the Am Mam pass, which then drops down to Camasunary Bay. We passed a couple of young lads on the way in and stopped near the top of the pass to take in the views.

Skye Trip-2.jpg
Back to Kilmarie

From only a short distance into the walk Bla-Bheinn is dark, looming presence, as it's long South Ridge gradually becomes more prominent. It's a fantastic looking mountain from any angle, but the approach from Am Mam looks particularly tasty.

skye-1-2.jpg
Bla-Bheinn

We had a wee bite to eat once we'd found a suitably breezy (and therefore midge-free) spot :lol: As had been the case on our previous trip here, the main Cuillin ridge was shrouded in cloud, down to about 700m or so and it was still pretty overcast. Unsure if the bothy was still accessible or not (see MalGrey's recent trip) we decided to have a wander down anyway. On the way, we encountered the somewhat surreal sight of a road-going Honda Motorbike, just before the u-bend in the route where the south ridge path cuts off.

Here it is:

Skye Trip-3.jpg
Motorbike

I was quite impressed that someone had doubtless pushed the thing most of the way here from Kilmarie. We reckoned the bike belonged to a couple of cheerful youths we saw on the way down to the beach. Not content with having pushed the bike beyond the top of Am Mam, they'd gone down to the beach, walked back up the steep shortcut, pushed it back out to Kilmarie, then walked back in again, presumably to crash out in the bothy :lol:

We followed the the usual track past the cottage, and out to the bothy, which hadn't changed a bit since our last visit. There's certainly no sign of work commencing, although the new bothy further along the coast looks complete. With the tide receding fairly well, I saw a chance to nip out and get a photo of the bothy i'd wanted to get for some time.

Skye Trip-4.jpg
Camasunary Bothy

We wandered back along the beach which was pretty quiet, save for a woman and her daughter who were trying to figure out how to get to the Bad Step near Loch Coruisk. They didn't have a map which wasn't ideal, so I showed them the route and distance involved, the daughter took a photo of the map and they continued on.

The weather by now was starting to clear, so we started back up the path, hoping to get to the high point in time to get some views.

Skye Trip-5.jpg
The new bothy

After some huffing and puffing quickly up the slope in now baking conditions, we found a nice wee spot to have a break and take some photos. This was the first time i'd seen the ridge properly from here, and i must say, it's absolutely sensational. We took god knows how many photos here. Bla-Bheinn, now clear of cloud, looked glorious, whilst across Glen Sligachan, Sgurr nan Gillean's spires and pinnacles looked terrifying and fantastic in equal measure. It's at times like this that Skye just seems like another planet. I couldn't possibly begin to do it justice, but here are a few shots:

Skye Trip-6.jpg
Sgurr nan Gillean and Loch na Creitheach

Skye Trip-8.jpg
Camasunary and the Cuillin Ridge

skye-1-3.jpg
The Cuillin, Glen Sligachan and Bla-Bheinn

We must have sat here for over an hour taking photos and just generally enjoying the view. Reluctantly we tore ourselves away and started heading back, but not before nipping across to a massive and randomly situated lump of rock on the south side of the path. This is a fine viewpoint in itself.

Skye Trip-10.jpg
Sgurr na Stri and the main ridge

From here it was a straightforward daunder back to the car. We headed back to Elgol which by now was really busy, and managed to nip into the fantastic Cuillin View for a coffee and scone. This is a lovely, reasonably priced cafe which sells ridiculously good coffee and goodies, with a great view over the isles. It's a great wee place and well worth a visit.

After a short walk back to the apartment, during which we experienced the only moderately heavy rain of the trip, we decided to relax for a while before later heading out to brave the midges to photograph the sunset. The scorching heat gave way to cloud later on, giving some dramatic-looking vistas over Loch Scavaig. This was the view from our garden:

Skye Trip-1-2.jpg
Gars Bheinn

The sunset later on was also lovely, not quite as colourful as the previous evening, but nice soft golden light nonetheless, and more importantly, less midges :lol:

Skye Trip-2-2.jpg
Sunset

We left the following morning with heavy hearts. It had been a fantastic weekend, but with a dreadful forecast and Anne feeling less than 100% as a result of a reaction to the midge bites, we headed home via Broadford's Chemist, who must be able to spot midge-bite victims from 100 paces :lol: then an excellent coffee and bacon roll combination in Portree, before stopping off for photos on the road to Dunvegan.

Skye Trip-1-3.jpg
Loch nan Eilean

After that, it was a leisurely drive home, stopping only for the obligatory photo of Eilean Donan Castle:

Skye Trip-3-2.jpg
Eilean Donan Castle

Hopefully the next time we're in Skye (October with any luck), I'll be able to get up some hills.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Re: A Great Weekend in Skye

Postby larry groo » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:11 am

Great shots Jupe.... simply stunning!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:
larry groo

Postby Aldawen » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:18 am

Fantastic photos, enjoyed them very much. Looks much better on your pictures than in my memory although it's only been a month ago I've stayed there :wink:
Aldawen
Mountaineer

Munros:3   

Postby spiderwebb » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:32 pm

Gorgeous photos :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:36 pm

Outstanding photos.

I've seen many great photos from Elgol looking to the Cuillin, your first one with the sunset is up there with the very best.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby jupe1407 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:05 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Outstanding photos.

I've seen many great photos from Elgol looking to the Cuillin, your first one with the sunset is up there with the very best.

Thanks Mal :)

Do you know when they will be starting work on the Camasunary Bothy? I'd like to head back there and spend a night in it before it closes if at all possible.

spiderwebb wrote:Gorgeous photos :D

Thanks Dave :)

larry groo wrote:Great shots Jupe.... simply stunning!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks Larry :)
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:35 pm

I loved this report, and the pics beggar any kind of superlative :clap: :clap: :clap: It's hard to understand that Elgol sunset pic is real!

The pic looking back at Camasunary brought back some great memories of when I first experienced that view over 20 years ago.

I don't know about Skye seeming like another planet, but it's certainly another world - an what a wonderfully fine one!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:48 pm

jupe1407 wrote:Do you know when they will be starting work on the Camasunary Bothy? I'd like to head back there and spend a night in it before it closes if at all possible.

Sorry, no idea I'm afraid. seems to have been dragging on for ages, which is great for those who get lucky enough to still find the old bothy open. I first heard it was closing, through one of the forums, can't remember which, well over a year ago.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Beaner001 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:58 pm

Was on Skye last Thurs/Fri and it is awesome. Your pics are top notch mate, utterly stunning. If I had to pic a fav which is hard I'd choose the Gars Bheinn one, you've caught the most amazing colours in the clouds and sky , so moody and reminds me of a storm brewing :clap: :clap: :clap:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Bonzo » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:28 pm

Fantastic stuff.

All of the photos are superb but for me, the Gars Bheinn shot is magnificent :clap:
Bonzo
Mountain Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:96
Wainwrights:147   

Postby dogplodder » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:45 pm

Your photos would back up my pal-who-comes-from-Elgol's claim that you get the best view in Europe from there! The first one of the sunset is gorgeous. :clap:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby jupe1407 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:09 pm

Beaner001 wrote:Was on Skye last Thurs/Fri and it is awesome. Your pics are top notch mate, utterly stunning. If I had to pic a fav which is hard I'd choose the Gars Bheinn one, you've caught the most amazing colours in the clouds and sky , so moody and reminds me of a storm brewing :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks Beaner. It was great staying somewhere with such a view of the Cuillin. Watching the cloud formations in and around them was really interesting. Gars Bheinn looked a bit like a volcano when i took that one!

Bonzo wrote:Fantastic stuff.

All of the photos are superb but for me, the Gars Bheinn shot is magnificent :clap:

Thanks Bonzo :)

dogplodder wrote:Your photos would back up my pal-who-comes-from-Elgol's claim that you get the best view in Europe from there! The first one of the sunset is gorgeous. :clap:

Yup, totally agree with your pal! I spent a significant portion of our time in the apartment gawping at the view out the living room window. :lol:

Alteknacker wrote:I loved this report, and the pics beggar any kind of superlative :clap: :clap: :clap: It's hard to understand that Elgol sunset pic is real!

The pic looking back at Camasunary brought back some great memories of when I first experienced that view over 20 years ago.

I don't know about Skye seeming like another planet, but it's certainly another world - an what a wonderfully fine one!

Thanks very much Alteknacker. I love Skye (not the midges!). From a photography point of view, it's almost limitless. It'll be even better when I can get back onto the hills again. Camasunary must be one of the finest beach locations in Scotland outside of the far northwest.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:44 pm

jupe1407 wrote:... It'll be even better when I can get back onto the hills again. ...

You look pretty young on your picture (the one with the mike), so I guess you'll soon be as right as rain....
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby simon-b » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:22 pm

Some beautiful pictures JP. You don't have to go onto the highest mountains to see the glory of Skye.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby jupe1407 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:01 am

simon-b wrote:Some beautiful pictures JP. You don't have to go onto the highest mountains to see the glory of Skye.

Thanks Simon ... I've only been on one in five trips, and it was completely clagged in :lol:

Alteknacker wrote:
jupe1407 wrote:... It'll be even better when I can get back onto the hills again. ...

You look pretty young on your picture (the one with the mike), so I guess you'll soon be as right as rain....

I wish i was that age. That's ex-Joy Division frontman Ian Curtis. I'm a 41 year old with the knees of an 81 year old :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland