walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cairnwell

Cairnwell

Postby ancancha » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:01 pm

Route description: The Cairnwell Munros

Munros included on this walk: The Cairnwell

Date walked: 08/07/2015

Time taken: 1.75 hours

Distance: 4.65 km

Ascent: 320m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Cairnwell.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Needed to get this one ticked off, and as I was passing as it were.
Got to admit to the GPX and stats on this not being accurate. I forgot to switch on at the very start, but they will be a very good approximation.

Headed up the track from the car park at the ski centre; it was more or less deserted. There doesn't seem to be a route marked if you just want to pick off the Cairnwell, so when I got to the Cairnwell T-Bar I decided this looked good enough and started walking upwards.
It was fine underfoot, although a bit squidgy in places, usual amount of frogs and meadow pippits. After some way started traversing up more directly to the summit. They have quite a lot of tech on the top of the Cairnwell :!:

Cairnwell approach.jpg

Because I was setting off from the carpark it doesn't take very long to reach the summit and the interesting shelter cairn.

Cairnwell cairn.jpg

Despite the reputation and ease of getting up I found the views in all directions entertaining enough.

Creag Leachach

Cairnwell Creag Leachach.jpg

To the west across

Cairnwell Creag to the west.jpg

The top of Choire Dhirich

Cairnwell Creag Choire Dhirich.jpg

Enough seen I started to make my way down along the conventional route, landrover track towards Carn Aosda past Loch Vrotachan. I've ski toured around here many times, it looks a lot different now

Cairnwell Creag Loch Vrotachan.jpg

Turned right at the junction and headed back down to the carpark pasted a bothy that I never knew existed or seen before and as I say I have ski toured the area often and also downhill skied everywhere on a lift pass

Cairnwell bothy.jpg

Not a grand or spectacular walk, but as always something of interest and an enjoyable one :)
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland