walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Nevis by the Mountain Track

Ben Nevis by the Mountain Track

Postby Gerry Reynolds » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:24 pm

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Mountain Path

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis

Date walked: 09/07/2015

Time taken: 11 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1352m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My wife and I decided to bring forward our attempt to go up Ben Nevis via the Mountain Track by 24 hours in order to avoid some bad weather and we are so glad that we did. Our trip up Ben Nevis was blessed with sunshine and the chance to really appreciate the wonderful views that are available from up there on a good day.

I had heard that Ben Nevis was a long slog which should be broken down into manageable sections by novices and so it proved. Each of the ends of the zig-zags in the paths in the final third of our climb provided natural points at which to sit down, enjoy the view and take on some much needed water.

Unfortunately my better half suffered badly on the way down with a foot injury which limited her movement and added about two hours to our descent; but apart from that, for me Ben Nevis will be remembered mostly for the quiet satisfaction that comes from discovering just how beautiful the Scottish Highlands looks from up there .
Gerry Reynolds

Re: Ben Nevis by the Mountain Track

Postby Fife Flyer » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:36 pm

Glad you enjoyed the day, 11 hours is a long day :wink:

RTC wrote:You were really lucky to enjoy a view from the top. I've been up 3 times and never seen anything.

Complete opposite for me Russell, 3 times & a view every time :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:151   Corbetts:46
Grahams:35   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:83   Hewitts:2

Postby jamesb63 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:10 pm

Glad you enjoyed the day, 11 hours is a long day :wink:

RTC wrote:
You were really lucky to enjoy a view from the top. I've been up 3 times and never seen anything.
Complete opposite for me Russell, 3 times & a view every time :lol:

Same here 3 times and great views ,though ive never walked up the tourist route
ive always walked up and detoured round the north side and went up through
the Bealach
jamesb63
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Sunset tripper » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:23 am

To climb the ben is a good achievement. You've climbed to the highest point in the British Isles from pretty close to sea level. A lot of folk say they dislike it because its too busy but i sometimes wonder if its just because its such hard work :D Having said that i had a laugh recently when someone who had just run the London marathon criticized Ben Nevis for being too busy :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sunset tripper

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland