walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Starav 5

Ben Starav 5

Postby jamesb63 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:56 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn nan Aighenan, Ben Starav, Glas Bheinn Mhor, Meall nan Eun, Stob Coir an Albannaich

Date walked: 09/07/2015

Time taken: 10.5 hours

Distance: 29 km

Ascent: 2580m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After Reading Simon-b and his excellent report on A 5 Star(av) route
I decided I would test myself on it ,I have only been walking since Mid April
and had just gave up a 20 a day habit so this would be a test
I did the Ben Lui 4 a couple of weeks previous and found that no problem
So I set off at 4.45am and reached the parking place ( wrong one :roll: ) at 7am
The weather was perfect for what I had planned so I set off at 7.10 to head along the river
to the bridge
IMG_0584.JPG

I headed through the bog at the back of Coiletir having navigated through this
I then proceeded to go arse over tit slipping on a slab in the stream
so a nice wet start to a dry day :lol: :lol:
with just the 1 stop on the ascent at the 800m mark where it levels out
it was then up the final boulderfield to the top
IMG_0593.JPG

After taking a couple of pics it was off along the ridge to Stob Coire Dheirg
IMG_0595.JPG

A quick decent down to Bealachan Lochain Ghaineamhaich where I left my rucksack
for the decent and ascent to Beinn nan Aighenan ,this is rather deceiving in the distance
it looks form the bealach but without the rucksack we reached the summit in good time
IMG_0596.JPG

I had planed before that depending on how the legs were I would make my decision
the after Glas Bheinn Mhor to see if I would continue or head out
well as it went other factors came into play on reaching the top of Glas Bheinn Mhor
I was out of water (2 litres )
IMG_0602.JPG

So I decided that if I could not get a top up I would walk out at the bealach with Stob Coir an Albannaich
but as luck would have it right at the ascent to Stob Coir an Albannaich a small stream allowed a topup
so it was onwards and upwards on the ascent up the zig zag path the reach where it levels out
and allows a nice gentle ascent the rest of the way to the top of Stob Coir an Albannaich
IMG_0606.JPG

Another quick bite to eat and a chat with 2 lads from Ireland first people I met on the walk
and it was of on the decent to the final target of the day
IMG_0607.JPG

By now the legs were starting to feel it a bit but the ascent to Meall nan Eun was quite pleasant
over a nice grass slope ,then after a lengthy gentle ascent we reached our final summit
IMG_0609.JPG

So it was time to head down now not far from the summit I met to nice ladies who suggested
I should keep over to the left for the decent as the right was quite wet and slippy
well the left hand side proved to be a bit of a scramble for us both as it is quite steep and awkward in parts
but we eventually reached the path and the walk out
IMG_0612.JPG

IMG_0613.JPG

IMG_0627.JPG

a look back at the start of the day and what a great day it was
I was very pleased to have done this walk ,and now I look forward to many more
adventure in the hills of our beautiful country :D
Last edited by jamesb63 on Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
jamesb63
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Ben Starav 5

Postby simon-b » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:57 pm

Well done James, an excellent effort. You got some great pictures as well. I think we both agree, it's a really good walk.
simon-b
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Grahams:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:156
Wainwrights:214   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland