walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Iaruinn, Glen Roy, steep ascent and descent.

Beinn Iaruinn, Glen Roy, steep ascent and descent.

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:25 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Iaruinn

Date walked: 10/07/2015

Time taken: 2.6 hours

Distance: 3.87 km

Ascent: 565m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was the Clubs July Meet which was to be held at the excellent Bunroy Campsite at Roybridge. With the weather forecast for the Western Hills bloody awful but the Pod already booked there was nothing else for it but to drive over and hope that the weather would be kind to us for at least pitching the tents. The Big day plans were to be scrapped for smaller hills and shorter days in case the forecast deluge of rain caught us out. Luckily the tents were pitched in dry conditions and as others were to be arriving later we drove up to Glen Roy to tackle the Corbett on the West side of the Glen Beinn Iaruinn more or less as described in the SMC book. It would appear that most WHers include the Graham Leana Mhor with there walk but as weather was going to hit us at some point and that there was a good chance of seeing Andy Murray playing his Wimbledon semi final match in the afternoon we were only doing the Corbett. This report being the first and only report so far of this hill on WH, but no doubt others will follow very shortly :lol: Booted up ready to go at1145hrs from a small parking area at the bridge where the waters from the Coire nan Eun flow below.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.JPG
Looking South down Glen Roy with the Parallel Roads identifiable on the slopes of Leana Mhor (West) and Carn Bhrunachain. The going is tough straight from the off through thick heather and ferns
2.JPG
Further up the South East spur of Beinn Iaruinn still getting steeper but now leaving the tall ferns behind, tick country!
3.JPG
In the distance the Sub2 ofBeinn a' Mhonicag 567m
4.JPG
Another view looking along the East side of Glen Roy
5.JPG
Steeper still and soon to arrive at a rocky outcrop which we traversed around to the South and headed up a loose muddy rake towards the grassy summit. In the background is our descent route, maybe not as steep but with more large hidden stones within the deep heather and grass
7a.JPG
Coming off the summit down the East side missing the crags, walked beyond the cairn to the low point towards the 779m point shown on OS Map. In the background the spur we climbed to get to the summit
8.JPG
Looking down towards the parked car at the roadside. We stopped for a bite to eat at some boulders. The forecast rain had only been a drizzle at this point.
9.JPG
Zoom of the parked car. Off the hill before 1425hrs in time to catch a pint at the Inn in the village and to see Andy Murray loose to RF.
Attachments
6.JPG
Summit cairn
Last edited by The Rodmiester on Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Beinn Iaruinn, Glen Roy, steep ascent and descent.

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:36 am

This was one of my first Corbetts, and I still remember the steepness of that slope!!! Exactly the same route you took, but we had +30*C heatwave boiling us alive :lol:
On a good day this hill has good views to Loch Lochy Munros:
I must post all my "archive" reports, but at the moment I'm still far behind with current ones!

We did the two Carn Deargs at the top of the glen yesterday, and it was a snorkelling experience :lol: :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:07 pm

BlackPanther wrote:This was one of my first Corbetts, and I still remember the steepness of that slope!!! Exactly the same route you took, but we had +30*C heatwave boiling us alive :lol:
On a good day this hill has good views to Loch Lochy Munros:
I must post all my "archive" reports, but at the moment I'm still far behind with current ones!

We did the two Carn Deargs at the top of the glen yesterday, and it was a snorkelling experience :lol: :lol:

Hi BP, I would not fancy climbing that one in 30 degrees, I would be sweating buckets :lol: :lol: I might have bumped into you yesterday as these two were on my radar but after 7 hours continuous rain on the tent the previous night I had had enough and decided to head East and home and get all my gear dried out, which I did, Result :D Just about to put my trip report on the other Carn Dearg, note my route probably not the best to be followed in snow or wet conditions, just a word of caution :wink:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:31 pm

Hi Rod - not sure about this one. Could you pop back on a better day so I can see what the views are like??
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:00 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Hi Rod - not sure about this one. Could you pop back on a better day so I can see what the views are like??

Hi Gordie, two days two hills, no views from summits, hope you stayed in the East, it was nice and sunny when I arrived back to Carnoustie :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby mountain thyme » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:14 pm

Nice one Rod. Thanks for the invite to the wee Meet. Good location and great 2 days :)
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland