walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Schiehallion, midges and an adder

Schiehallion, midges and an adder

Postby denfinella » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:37 pm

Route description: Schiehallion

Munros included on this walk: Schiehallion

Date walked: 06/07/2015

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 730m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Arr...! Schiehallion! It sounds a bit like something a pirate would say, somehow. Anyway, that's where we were heading to today. Rain was forecast later in the day, but it wasn't supposed to reach the east until early evening, so a shortish Munro seemed to be a good plan. Turns out that this part of Scotland is quite a long drive from Paisley, especially when you get stuck behind slow vehicles practically all the way after turning off the A9. It was about half ten when we arrived, taking one of the last spots in the car park even though it was a weekday. Midges and other flies were there to greet us.

schiehallion.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After paying for parking we set off along the trees edge at a speed just quick enough to escape the midges. The larger flies kept up a little longer until the breeze picked up on the ridge. From near the start, Schiehallion's summit seemed to be the dividing line between fog (on the north side) and blue skies. Better weather than the Ochils which had been covered in blanket cloud on the journey up.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Once we could see over the level of the trees we'd just left, good views began to open out over Loch Tummel.

3.jpg

Despite the full car park the hill seemed fairly quiet. The weather was sunnier and the breeze gentler than expected, and I was wishing I'd brought a sunhat. Soon though, an interesting diversion was provided in the form of a baby adder slithering across the path into nearby heather. This was the first time an adder had stuck around long enough for us to take a photo...

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Views were now really opening out behind us:

7.jpg

Back down the path:

8.jpg

Soon, it was boulderfield time. A large cairn lay just ahead, but I had my suspicions about this being the summit. Glancing at the map confirmed this!

9.jpg

10.jpg

In fact, from the cairn, it was clear that the summit was still a little way away...

11.jpg

12.jpg

Glen Lyon munros:

13.jpg

Further up the ridge:

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

Soon we were at the summit - ah, this is where all the crowds had got too! Lovely weather still - the clouds approaching from the southwest seemed to have stalled. We noticed these random spirals on one of the rocks:

17.jpg

Also, there were some views :wink: With the help of an online panorama saved on my phone, we tried to identify the various hills - visibility was about 50 miles today. Towards Ben Nevis:

18.jpg

Loch Rannoch:

19.jpg

Dunalastair Reservoir:

20.jpg

Loch Tummel:

21.jpg

Cairngorms:

22.jpg

23.jpg

After a leisurely lunch we headed back down the same way - no adders this time! The weather stayed fair for the descent - a pretty straightforward Munro, great views and some interesting wildlife as a bonus :)

24.jpg
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Re: Schiehallion, midges and an adder

Postby basscadet » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:08 pm

Looks like you got a good day for it :clap:
It really is a prominent hill - you can see it from a lot of places, so hardly surprising the views are good :)
I had to take shelter in a plastic bivvy bag at the summit of this one - hail the size of golf balls :shock: :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Re: Schiehallion, midges and an adder

Postby denfinella » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:41 pm

You're right - it is surprising where you can see the hill from. I remember the first time we saw it, I think we were on the tiny hill with the observatory on top in Dundee city centre!

Hail the size of golf balls... quite glad we didn't have to experience that... :wink:
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland