walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Our first Munro

Our first Munro

Postby Aliannesim » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:09 am

Route description: Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'Chroin

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn)

Date walked: 23/06/2010

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After spending the last couple of months tackling walks and hills in the Bridge of Earn / Perth area, we decided to bite the bullet and go for our first Munro when Sunday promised to be bright and sunny 8) I set off at 08:30 with my walking companion ( my daughter) and headed to Loch Earn. Ben Vorlich seemed as good a Munro as any to begin with.
After a white knuckle drive along the very narrow, winding south Loch Earn road we arrived at Ardvorlich where we managed to get parked easily. We had our first sight of Ben Vorlich and couldn't wait to get started :D
Ben Vorlich 20.6.10 002.JPG

The track was easy to find and signposts helped us on our way.
The going was fairly easy to start with and right from the start the scenery was amazing. We soon discovered though that the climb was relentless and as we headed towards the summit it was starting to get fairly hard work. The last couple of hundred yards or so was very hard work for me ......... I'm not as young as I used to be and I'm definitely not as fit as I used to be :shock: After much puffing and panting and stopping to admire the scenery, we made it to the trig point and were rewarded with a whole new panorama to the south suddenly appearing.
Ben Vorlich 20.6.10 024.JPG
Me at the top

Ben Vorlich 20.6.10 023.JPG
Shona at the top

Time for a spot of lunch and a bit of time to take a few pics from the summit.
Ben Vorlich 20.6.10 014.JPG
Looking back down towards Loch Earn

After looking at Stuc a'Chroin we decided that we would save that for another time when we have a bit more experience and stamina!
Ben Vorlich 20.6.10 010.JPG
Stuc a'Chroin - stunning but daunting!

After a sufficient recovery time we headed back down the way we had come. Initially this was quite tough due to the loose stone path and there were a few wee stumbles on the way down.
Ben Vorlich 20.6.10 027.JPG
I'm smiling because this was taken on the way back down!

Ben Vorlich 20.6.10 028.JPG
Nearly back down.

Approximately 4 and a half hours after we set off, we arrived back at the car, very hot, tired and aching legs but chuffed to bits :lol:
We couldn't have asked for better weather for our first Munro and that combined with the breathtaking scenery will make it a day I'll never forget.
I've well and truly got the bug now and can't wait to tackle my next Munro...watch this space :D
Aliannesim
Mountain Walker

Munros:6   Corbetts:2
Grahams:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Our first Munro

Postby Astronick » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:03 am

Congratulations on your first Munro! Ben Vorlich is a cracking hill to do, particularly with the great weather you had. I'm sure you'll be heading up your second soon enough! Stuc a' Chroin does have a very intimidating look but there is actually a reasonable (though eroded) zig-zag path that goes up to the right of the big prow.
Astronick
Stravaiging

Munros:220   Corbetts:52
Grahams:11   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:10   

Postby monty » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:08 am

Well done,
You had great weather but still its a step up from the hills you have been doing :D Look forward to your next report :D
monty

Postby danrun » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:44 pm

weldone on your first munro, won't be long till your hooked :lol:
danrun
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:12
Grahams:4   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:5   

Postby CurlyWurly » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:05 am

Well done on your first Munro and some great photos there. Ben Vorlich was the first peak we climbed when we moved up to Scotland from London :)
CurlyWurly
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:47
Grahams:17   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:50   

Postby Jock McJock » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:18 pm

Well done on your first Munro. That one is on my list for this year so was nice to see some pics of it. :D
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Grahams:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland