walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First wild camp.

First wild camp.

Postby davgil » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:15 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chrùlaiste, from Altnafeidh

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Chrùlaiste

Date walked: 15/07/2015

Distance: 11 km

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My last walk report on walkhighlands was over three years ago.
I couldn’t believe that when I checked, but as it was my first ever wild camp I thought I’d share.

I’ve planned to do this for a long time now but matching free time with ideal weather conditions etc. has been tricky.
This was a quick decision as I spotted a good weather window for Wednesday through Thursday morning.

I wanted somewhere relatively easy but still remote enough to get the experience I was seeking.
Thanks to wilkiemurray and others on Walkhighlands, Youtube etc. I settled for Beinn a'Chrulaiste,
hoping for some good photo opportunities.
I parked at Altnafeidh and headed up the hill just after 5.00 pm.
It was my first time with such a heavy pack, 18k :crazy: but this was deliberate as I had a lot of overkill with my gear.
First time wild camping with heavy photo gear, plenty of water, food, lights, batteries etc. I didn’t want to scrimp,
I was there to enjoy myself :D

The summit was reached in just under two hours, I had taken my time,
much slower than my normal hikes, 18k has that effect!
As I arrived I met a young lad who had the sameplan as me and was setting up camp.
We chatted for a while then I searched for a pitch a good distance away from him.
We couldn’t see each others tents so still had the feeling of isolation.
As the night progressed we crossed paths and chatted some more as we both searched for our ideal photos.
For obvious reasons our cameras were pointed towards Buachaille Etive Mor quite a lot.

Summit-Camp-01a.jpg

Summit-Camp-02a.jpg

Summit-Camp-03a.jpg

Summit-Camp-04a.jpg

Taking photos kept me busy till nearly midnight so I was ready for some food.
Jetboil and Adventure Food’s Pasta Bolognese to the rescue,
followed by a cuppa and some chocolate of course.
It was now I expected the midges to spoil the perfect night but surprisingly there
were only a very few which were attracted to my headtorch. It was a still night and quite mild
so I didn’t understand their absence as I was also camped in a grassy waterlogged area.
My pitch was on a convenient rise and nice and dry though.

Summit-Camp-05a.jpg

Summit-Camp-06a.jpg

Summit-Camp-07a.jpg

Into bed and alarm set for two hours later, I wanted some night shots as there was no moon
and I'd hoped for some star shots. I didn’t get exactly what I was after,
although I was pleased with what I ended up with.

Summit-Camp-08a.jpg

Summit-Camp-09a.jpg

Summit-Camp-10a.jpg

Summit-Camp-11a.jpg

Summit-Camp-13a.jpg

No point in going back to sleep, well I’d only had an hour at best anyway so stayed out
hoping for a sunrise. I got mist!

6.00am all packed up and heading for the car.

My first wild camp was a great experience leaving me itching to get back and repeat it as soon as I can!
davgil
Mountain Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   
Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:4   Islands:7

Re: First wild camp.

Postby rockhopper » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:33 pm

Good to hear from you. :D Excellent idea and a cracking area to pick for your first camp and some great photos of an all too brief weather window :clap:

Pity about the clag in the morning but the previous night's results looked well worth it. That's you started now, where's the next wild camp ? - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Silverhill » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:31 am

Congratulations on your first wild camp! Your tent has the perfect colour for night time pictures. 8)
I hope you will post reports of your next explorations soon. :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Petr Dakota » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:18 pm

Congratulations ! :clap:
Great choice of area for your 1st wild camping :clap: ...and also the day / night - clear views 8)
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:59 pm

A stunning location to bed down, well done for making the effort. Shame about the mist in the morning, but the evening and night photos are excellent.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby davgil » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:18 am

Thanks for the comments everyone.
rockhopper, I'm looking forward to my next wild camp but no idea where yet, always open to suggestions for good photographic locations!
davgil
Mountain Walker

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:32 am

davgil wrote:Thanks for the comments everyone.
rockhopper, I'm looking forward to my next wild camp but no idea where yet, always open to suggestions for good photographic locations!

I've always thought the top of Bheinn Bhan (Applecross) or Sgurr a' Chaorochain ought to be pretty special in the right conditions - Sunset over Skye/Outer Hebrides, Sunrise over Torridon/Coulin Forest. Access pretty easy from Bealach na Ba, and half-the climbing done by car!

Failing that, Assynt/Inverpolly. But I am a little obsessed with the place.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby davgil » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:46 pm

Thanks Mal, I'll add these to my list of possibles, so many to choose from!
davgil
Mountain Walker

Postby AnnieMacD » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:15 pm

Fantastic photos - well worth the effort! Did you carry a tripod up the hills, and, if so, which make? I carry a mini tripod sometimes but a full height one is so much more practical - weight is always an issue for me and I can only dream of an overnight camp with photo gear!
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:45 pm

WOW you certainly picked a cracking hill for your first wildcamp, it has superb views in all directions. Some lovely photographs for your records. Looks like the weather was very kind to you, lucky , lucky this year has been very hit and miss, mostly miss! Now for the next midnight adventure, and you can snore to your hearts content :lol: :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby rockhopper » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:20 pm

davgil wrote:Thanks for the comments everyone.

think I might be a bit biased but a couple of favourites are Slioch and Beinn Tarsuinn - also a high camp on the south side of Loch Mullardoch - cheers :)
rockhopper

Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby davgil » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:29 am

AnnieMacD wrote:Fantastic photos - well worth the effort! Did you carry a tripod up the hills, and, if so, which make? I carry a mini tripod sometimes but a full height one is so much more practical - weight is always an issue for me and I can only dream of an overnight camp with photo gear!

Thanks Annie, I used the Manfrotto Befree, not as light as I would like but a good compromise, worth it when I get results, always seems heavier when it's carried and not needed!

The Rodmiester wrote:WOW you certainly picked a cracking hill for your first wildcamp, it has superb views in all directions. Some lovely photographs for your records. Looks like the weather was very kind to you, lucky , lucky this year has been very hit and miss, mostly miss! Now for the next midnight adventure, and you can snore to your hearts content :lol: :lol:

Thanks Rodmiester, agreed, the weather has been poor this summer so far.

rockhopper wrote:think I might be a bit biased but a couple of favourites are Slioch and Beinn Tarsuinn - also a high camp on the south side of Loch Mullardoch - cheers :)

All good thanks rockhopper, we're all a bit biased depending on how suitable the conditions of our trips were I suppose!
davgil
Mountain Walker

Postby wilkiemurray » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:21 pm

Great stuff - just getting to some long awaited reading of report this week as been off - great photos :)

My pitch was literally about 10 meters to the right of where you were pitched :)

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby dooterbang » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:04 pm

Oooft! What a night to lose your virginity :wink: Fanatastic photos, makes me want to be there.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Sick Kid » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:11 pm

Well done on your first wild camp! :D
You've got some cracking shots there, didn't see anything the day I went up there :lol:

P.s. I think you may have taught me karate a long time ago.... :shock:
Sick Kid
Mountain Walker

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+50
Sub 2000:364   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:13   

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland