walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ring Of Steall

Ring Of Steall

Postby jamesb63 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:23 pm

Munros included on this walk: Am Bodach, An Gearanach, Sgùrr a' Mhàim, Stob Coire a' Chàirn

Date walked: 15/07/2015

Time taken: 7.45 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1675m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The weather was nice and clear for the drive North to Glen Nevis ,arrived at 6.45 and was promptly ready to set off
the walk up by the river almost turned into a disaster as we were going through the gorge near the top a Mink crossed in front of us and the dog was off no holding back straight into the gorge he went into some seriously turbulent water among huge boulders were he got into serious trouble and by time I get there he was going under and in a bad place I gave no thought and got off my pack and went into the water I managed to jam myself in and then just got a hold of the back of his neck and pull him back up and go us both out :shock:
By the time we were back on the path he was none the worse and I was soaked to the skin :lol:
So we were then on our way again up and over the wire bridge and over by the Steall falls through the Bogfest and start up An Gearanach
IMG_0628.JPG

IMG_0632.JPG

Afetr a couple of pics it was then off the decent to cross An Garbhanach there was no issues here and we were over quickly on the ascent to Stob Coire a'Chairn on the ascent we passed a gent who was on his 4th doing the 10 on this side of the Glen and he was not hanging arround :clap: :clap:
Reaching the top in good time I had a good dring of water a few pics and a quick stop to remove boots tip out more water and again wring out the socks after out earlier mishap
IMG_0634.JPG

The ascent from Stob Coire a'Chairn was quite easy with nothing major then the ascent to Am Bodach was quite steep at the top I took a well earned break and a bite to eat and let some air about my feet that were feeling quite hot with being soaked all day
IMG_0639.JPG

IMG_0641.JPG

IMG_0643.JPG

IMG_0644.JPG

Relaxed and refreshed both now had lunch it was onwards to the Devils Ridge I would be doing the bypass with the dog
IMG_0645.JPG

It was again no problems here and we were quickly across the ridge over the grass and onto the final ascent of the day up to Stob Coire a'Mhail this was more an ascent than it seamed from a distance ,after about 25 mins were were then on top of Stob Coire a'Mhail which gave great views all around and down Glen nevis to Fort William
IMG_0647.JPG

IMG_0649.JPG

IMG_0651.JPG

The decent down Stob Coire a'Mhail was a bit of a slog with the small loose quartzite making for some loose footing in places I passed a few on the ascent here doing just the one hill but a great day they had for it these were the only ones I saw all day except for the runner
IMG_0652.JPG

A look back up Stob Coire a'Mhail

Passing down the Glen I noticed that the Nevis car park was as usuall packed to capacity
it was then straight home to put the feet up and enjoy a well earned beer :D
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Munros:218   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Ring Of Steall

Postby simon-b » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:47 pm

I'm glad the walk turned out a success after the early scare, James. It looks like your dog had no trouble with the ridges, once you'd got out of Glen Nevis. There are some great views from that route, so it's good to see you got them.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Petr Dakota » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:29 pm

Hi James, nice to see you did not give up and you finished your trip safely despite the trouble on the beginning :clap: :crazy: :D
Hope you will enjoy next trip without any problem, some days are just different and making the life more interesting...every experience counts :wink: :D
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby jamesb63 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:30 am

Petr Dakota wrote:Hi James, nice to see you did not give up and you finished your trip safely despite the trouble on the beginning :clap: :crazy: :D
Hope you will enjoy next trip without any problem, some days are just different and making the life more interesting...every experience counts :wink: :D

Hi Petr the weather was perfect for walking (allowed me to dry out fairly quick :lol:
simon-b wrote:I'm glad the walk turned out a success after the early scare, James. It looks like your dog had no trouble with the ridges, once you'd got out of Glen Nevis. There are some great views from tat route, so it's good to see you got them.

Hi Simon yes I agree the views from walking the ring are Spectacular :clap:
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Postby Sarah86 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:21 pm

Cracking views, what a real heart in mouth moment at the start! So glad everything turned out ok and that you also had a good to to try out :lol: Love the summit shots of your dog.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:39 pm

Blimey, the most traumatic start to any trip report I can remember, glad you got him out so quickly, and were able to continue. Did he tightrope the wire bridge? ;)
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby jamesb63 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:56 pm

Sarah86 wrote:Cracking views, what a real heart in mouth moment at the start! So glad everything turned out ok and that you also had a good to to try out :lol: Love the summit shots of your dog.
Mal Grey wrote:Blimey, the most traumatic start to any trip report I can remember, glad you got him out so quickly, and were able to continue. Did he tightrope the wire bridge? ;)

Thankyou :clap: After just reading in the lost and found seems like someone else has had a very unfortunate expieriance in the same place with their dog still not got it back
Makes me realise how lucky I was !!!
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland