walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Evening light in Glen Affric (May 2008)

Evening light in Glen Affric (May 2008)

Postby malky_c » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:55 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn a'Mheadhoin

Date walked: 22/05/2008

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 5 km

Ascent: 400m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I don't have much time for writing retro-reports these days, but on browsing the small list of Grahams which don't yet have reports, I was surprised to spot this little gem. Since I have some photos, I thought I'd write it up. I had the car and evening to myself, so took a quick run down to Glen Affric after work. It was a lovely evening.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I started from the large turning area a mile or so short of the main Glen Affric car park - more commonly used for a circuit of Toll Creagach and Tom Choinnich.

Start of the walk:

Tom Choinnich:

After following the stalker's path for a short distance, I turned right and worked my way up the hillside. Soft in places but not too hard going.

Carn Glas Choire and Sgurr nan Conbhairean:

Sgurr na Lapaich, Mam Sodhail, Carn Eighe:

Loch Affric:

Loch Bheinn a Mheadhoin:

South Loch Affric:

East towards Strathglass:

The ascent was very uneventful, and I was on the top in an hour or so without going particularly fast. You are looking right into the jaws of the Mam Sodhail/Carn Eighe horseshoe here. A nice spot for a break, before dropping back down the same way.

Sgurr na Lapaich, Mam Sodhail and Carn Eighe from the summit:

Loch Affric:

Much recommended as a short leg-stretcher in Glen Affric if there isn't time for the big hills :) .
Last edited by malky_c on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Evening light in Glen Affric (May 2008)

Postby malky_c » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:05 pm

BUMP

A oldie that I have added photos to. Can't believe there were no trip reports for this one.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland