walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Squelchy Blairdenon Hill

A Squelchy Blairdenon Hill

Postby inca » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:31 pm

Donalds included on this walk: Blairdenon Hill

Date walked: 19/07/2015

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 8.5 km

Ascent: 400m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

OS Map: 58

Attendees: Me, Big Dog

Route: Harperstone Farm – Little Corum – Mickle Corum – Point 616 – Blairdenon Hill – Point 616 – Mickle Corum – Harperstone Farm

Dreich morning and forecast wasn’t promising much so decided to knock off Blairdenon Hill. This was my last Ochil and now leaves only Craignaw and Dungeon Hill to finish my Donalds round. Small Dog wasn’t well so just me and the Big fella today. Had considered several options for tackling this one and settled on an approach from the north.

Parked up at 0815 hours in the small lay-by midway between Carim Lodge and Harperstone Farm on the unclassified road leading from the A9 at Blackford. Set off 10 minutes later up tussocky, wet slope of Little Corum. Heavy rain had given way to drizzle the going proved difficult. Near the top, Big Dog scented a deer in the distance and disappeared for 20 minutes, presumably chasing it. Shouting for him had little effect and I was on the verge of abandoning the walk to go and look for him when he reappeared.

Carried on up south up the slopes of Mickle Corum, the drizzle stopping and clouds lifting off the tops ahead. Unfortunately I picked a route that brought us out to the east of where we should have been. This meant a short diversion and some 30m descent and reascent to get back on track. The rest of the walk up was uneventful -apart from boggy ground and sopping wet feet- and we arrived at the Tiger Moth memorial and thereafter the summit of Blairdenon at just under the 2 hour mark. Took some quick pics and headed off back the way we came. At Mickle Corum decided to follow the northerly fence which led in a straight line downhill to near Harperstone. A faint trod turned into an ATV track midway down and, whilst wet in places, it made for good progress. Certainly better than the route up. An attractive thistle field made for a point of interest. With hindsight, I think this would make for a better and quicker route of ascent. An additional benefit in poor weather would be the usefulness of the fence as a navigation aid.

A short road walk back to the car and quick lunch before heading home.
inca
Mountaineer

Munros:223   Corbetts:71
Grahams:82   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:184   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland