walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Arthur's Seat

Arthur's Seat

Postby Foghlainte » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:39 pm

Route description: Arthur's Seat and Holyrood Park, Edinburgh

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Arthur's Seat

Date walked: 06/04/2015

Time taken: 1.33 hours

Distance: 3.2 km

Ascent: 263m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was an unseasonally hot and sunny day in April and I had some old friends visiting from abroad, so we decided to take a trip up Arthur's Seat.

I always like the look of the yellow gorse at this time of year.

St Margaret's Loch had its usual contingent of swans and opportunistic gulls, but it was looking very fine.

As we got higher on the hillside, the full city began to come into view. I've been living here for almost three years now, but I never get tired of seeing it from above.

The hill levelled out and we were able to see up to the top of Arthur's Seat. A trail of people snaked up like ants.

We stopped to take a break before the final climb and take in the view for a few minutes. We could see the cloud beginning to roll in off the Forth in the distance, but we weren't concerned. I suppose you need to treasure the little windows of good weather while you can.

We reached the top and this was what we were treated to. It's easy to forget when you live here how extraordinary it is to have a mini-mountain and a castle in the city centre, but it certainly impressed the guests.

This was the view in the other direction, out towards East Lothian. I can just about see my house... just about.

We began the descent, which was made harder purely by how slippy the ground was beneath our feet. Having flat soles was definitely a bad decision.

The staircase down to the bottom is excellent mainly for the views up to the peak. All in all, this was more of a stroll than a hike but it was good to get out on such a nice day.
Attachments

06-APR-15 01_25_04 PM.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Foghlainte
Mountain Walker

Sub 2000:3   

Re: Arthur's Seat

Postby Sarah86 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:50 pm

What great views of Edinburgh, really need to visit this one.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:3
Grahams:1   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland