walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Munros One Hundred and Thirty Six and Thirty Seven

Munros One Hundred and Thirty Six and Thirty Seven

Postby Chris Henshall » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:07 pm

Route description: Ben More and Stob Binnein

Munros included on this walk: Ben More, Stob Binnein

Date walked: 25/05/2015

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Monday, 25th. May:
These were a couple of bonus hills! Chalky, Sasha the Dog and I had left S.E.England at 5.00.am. for an uneventful drive north in Chalky’s Landover (punctuated by dog-walking stops) - but we arrived in Crianlarich by 3.00.pm. and the weather was good! We were booked in at the dog-friendly Ben More Lodge so said hello and immediately headed up the biggest hill in the neighbourhood, Ben More.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Experienced mountaineers that we are, we took care to take neither food nor a map with us, so leg power was fading significantly by the top (except for Sasha the Dog who must have climbed the hill twice once off the leash). Even though our preparation had been so bad that we actually debated mugging a couple for their sandwiches, we decided that the nearby peak of Stob Binnien was close and couldn’t be missed - but Sasha refused a small rock step just below the summit of Ben More and Chalky opted to take her down, leaving me to pull myself to this neighbouring top having only had a cup of coffee, a piece of flap jack and a scone all day. I was, luckily, able to sustain myself on three or four dried venison dog treats – not nice but effective enough – and I laboured up the final slopes before heading back down to the bealach and off down to valley level. Once we were down, we felt that we’d earned a couple of beers and a decent meal supplied by the friendly staff back at the lodge.
The next day we were off the Ben Alder...
Next Report: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54364.
Chris Henshall
Mountaineer

Munros:253   
Hewitts:157
Wainwrights:214   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland