walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Wyvis

Ben Wyvis

Postby seamus0 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:34 am

Route description: Ben Wyvis, near Garve

Munros included on this walk: Ben Wyvis

Date walked: 16/07/2015

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 14 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I flew up from London in the morning, in the knowledge of my planned trip of the Glen Shiel ridge was not a goer for this weekend given the weather forecast of gales and lightning. Not the best forecast for camping and ridge walking! It was a shame, as I wanted to do as many Munros given I'd broken my ribs earlier in the year doing some foolish MTB sport! This put a dampner on my remote Munro bagging pilgrimage for the year! So, the new plan was damage limitation and using Inverness YHA as a base instead, I had a look to see what could be done in the poor conditions. Arriving at Inverness, the weather was fine on the Thursday, lovely blue skies and minimal wind. So picked up the car from the airport and decided to head straight to the local favourite of Ben Wyvis. I had always planned to keep it as a wet-day option, but given the poor forecast I thought this might by my only chance for the weekend to bag something.

Following the A832 for signs to Ullapool at Inverness, I arrived at Ben Wyvis car park (411672) at 1.30pm just north of Garve on the right. I had all my old used and abused gear with me, as travelling from London my normal gear is stored locally near Stirling to avoid putting it in the hold of the aircraft each time. But as I had booked my ticket to Inverness, and the planned trip with my mate was cancelled (who was going to bring my gear) it was too far to drive. So I made do with my old leaky boots from my garage, to my mistake! I should always learn there's a reason why you put your boots aside to boot heaven!

Anyway, I quickly changed out of my jeans at the carpark put on what walking gear I could muster and headed off up the track at the carpark beside the Ben Wyvis Nature Reserve signs.

ben_wyvis-1.jpg
Start of track from car park

ben_wyvis-2.jpg
Path leading through forest

This led to a gate which led into the wood following the Allt a' Bhealaich Mhoir river on the right. Crossing over a forest road, the path eventually breaks out of the wood after 40mins or so, and starts to climb steadily towards An Cabar the first top on the ridge. The path is good all the way, and helpfully zig-zags up the steeper bits. Good stone steps have been constructed most of the way. Along the way I met a few dog walkers and folks having just climbed it informing me I'd get a great view. I knew I had made the decision to go up this today!

ben_wyvis-3.jpg
One man and his dog!

ben_wyvis-4.jpg
Views looking back while climbing up track

ben_wyvis-5.jpg
Steps leading onward

After 2hrs of climbing I reached An Cabar where 2 cairns marked the spot. After a further 20 or 30 mins walking along the broad NE ridge for 2km, gets you to the top of Ben Wyvis, where I took a wee break and my first water stop. The weather had held and the views were indeed fantastic. I took the time for a photo opportunity and a chat with a few fellow walkers who were enjoying the spot.
ben_wyvis-6.jpg
Views from near An Cabar

ben_wyvis-7.jpg
2 cairns at An Cabar

ben_wyvis-8.jpg
View from An Cabar to Ben Wyvis top along ridge

ben_wyvis-9.jpg
Fellow walkers along the ridge

ben_wyvis-11.jpg
Top of Ben Wyvis

ben_wyvis-13.jpg
B&W top of Ben Wyvis

ben_wyvis-15.jpg
2 cairns at An Cabar on the way down

The sky was great on the way back down, it was obvious the clouds were gathering up, for want of a better word, for the forthcoming weekend of torrential weather.So here's a few pics....

ben_wyvis-16.jpg
Great clouds!

ben_wyvis-17.jpg
More great clouds!

Ah yes, my boots.....well it seemed either they had shrunk in the garage over the years, or my feet had got fatter (not sure if getting fat feet is a condition or not :-)) Anyway they were killing me and by the time I had descended down back to the car park, I had 4 or 5 blisters for my foolishness! I guess if I wanted to do any more walking this weekend in bad weather Id need to get another pair of boots....ah well! That can be tomorrow mornings task! It was time to check into the YHA and have a pint after an enjoyable day! So Ben Wyvis, an enjoyable easy Munro to do with a good path all the way. Certainly one to recommend with friends or just for a bit of exercise!
seamus0
Munro compleatist

Munros:138   Corbetts:2

Re: Ben Wyvis

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:15 pm

nice black and white photo with the trig :clap: shame about the blisters :(
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:81   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Re: Ben Wyvis

Postby Silverhill » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:30 pm

Nice one! How good is that, getting nice weather on a wet-day hill! :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland