walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Granson's first Scottish hill

Granson's first Scottish hill

Postby Oldman » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:45 pm

Route description: Ben A'an

Date walked: 13/08/2009

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 3 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I did this beautiful walk last year and have been meaning to submit a report ever since - shame on me. It was the finest of summer's days. Very little wind, beautiful blue skies with shallow cumulus clouds kissing the higher tops and excellent visibility. Number one grandson lives in the North of Ireland and has done a little bit of walking there with his dad mainly in the Mourne Mountains. He was keen as mustard to climb a Scottish peak and so we elected for Ben A'an. I have been up Ben A'an on several occasions in different conditions and have never been disappointed - this occasion was no exception. On the morning of the walk we were up early to try to be first on the top that day. When we came over Duke's Pass I stopped to show him the mountain which by any standards is quite dramatic.
Ruairi Ben An the target.jpg
The target
Although it was after 9AM when we got to the car park we were surprised to be the first car there - whoopee! So we set off at a pace through the woods.
Ruairi Ben An 015.jpg
up through the woods
In no time at all it seemed we had got up to the little level area where we got a closer look at the Ben.
the target again.jpg
the target getting closer
Then it was off to the top in jig time - no flies on this lad. What a panorama and look at him on top of the world.
Ruairi Ben An 046.jpg
This is fantastic Grandpa - you're right there kid
The views all round are superb.
Ruairi Ben An 071.jpg
a wee sail on Loch Katrine
Ruairi Ben An 072.jpg
Magnificent Ben Venue
Stob Binnien and Ben More.jpg
Ruairi Ben An 081.jpg
Dramatic looking Loch Katrine
Sir Walter Scott sails out.jpg
That boat again
Having looked all around our attention was taken by the 10 second slab. "Can you manage it Young un?" "No problem Grandpa". "Go to it then!!!". OK he went up the left hand side but did it in about a minute - well done. I didn't do it at all - I could but I just didn't want to.
Ruairi Ben An 088.jpg
up the slab
10 second slab in 1 minute.jpg
OK Call it a minute!
By this time the usual crowds were gathering so it was time for a hearty bite to eat - chocolate bars and irn bru of course and then it was time for home. The descent was easier than the ascent and we met loads of folk on their way up some of whom looked like a coronary was just round the corner - although I hope not - and we were soon at the foot of the hill.
Back down at 12.29.  No problem!.jpg
Brilliant walk Grandpa
The family are visiting again this summer and this time we plan a couple of Munros - roll on!
Oldman
Bird-watcher

Re: Granson's first Scottish hill

Postby Alan S » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:57 pm

Well done to the grandson ben A'an is an ideal hill for this
I stopped to show him the mountain which by any standards is quite dramatic

Agree, its a cracking wee hill whichever way you look at it
Nice pictures of one of my favourite hills 8) thanks
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby Grandpa'sBoy » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:34 am

Hey Grumps, oops, I mean Gramps.....

Nice report. Leaving for Northumberland tomorrow. Daddy says we might get a walk in the Cheviots to get us ready for a Munro or two. Don't know what Mummy says about it yet. I dont think Daddy has asked! :lol:

Hope the weather picks up. It's rotten here today.

See you soon..............

Grandpa'sBoy
Grandpa'sBoy
Bird-watcher

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:53 am

Moving on up with the Cheviots... good luck and don't get stuck in the bog
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby monty » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:32 am

Nice report Oldman.

Some really bright excellent pictures. Well done the weeman. :D
monty

Postby Grandpa'sBoy » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:55 pm

Paul Webster wrote:Moving on up with the Cheviots... good luck and don't get stuck in the bog

I'm tempted to say something about OldMan and the Sunday Paper......

(Daddy told me to say it :? !!)
Grandpa'sBoy
Bird-watcher

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland