walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinns Mhor & Bheag Cowal with bike

Beinns Mhor & Bheag Cowal with bike

Postby m3doc » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:06 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Bheag (Cowal), Beinn Mhór (Cowal)

Date walked: 09/09/2014

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 12.3 km

Ascent: 1175m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Started at Forestry Commission Offices car park (toilets) at Glenbranter. Biked straight up good forestry road ignoring Glen Shellish Farm, passing a few houses and a small car park on right with a steeper section (they are called push-bikes for a reason!) and ignoring Cowal Way sign, keep going straight up past a quarry then after Glen Shellish loop junction, a lay-by with Creag Tharsuinn start track, up and round to left to reach almost Bealach Bernice at end of forestry road not shown on 1:50,000 map but on 1:25,000 after 4.15 miles and 400m ascent in 1 hour 15 minutes. Forest felled here so took ATV track up to deer fence then onto grassy north ridge of Beinn Mhor following fence near trig point top 741m (400m from Bealach). Descended north to Bealach and steeply up grass by edge of forest over Meall Breac to Beinn Bheag's top 618m (300m ascent) with small spiky cairn (contrary to Dempster) perched above crags overlooking Loch Eck. I lost my iphone 4s on way back down from the top amongst the clumpy grass and in spite of returning the following 2 days was unable to locate it (no signal below the top to use Find my iphone app). Biked back to car in 25 minutes.
Note these 2 Grahams could easily have Creag Tharsiunn added by my approach route - see my walk report for it.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

m3doc
Walker

Munros:7   Corbetts:222
Fionas:124   Donalds:29
Sub 2000:54   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:22   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland