walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

NORTHERN FELLS - BOWSCALE,BANNERDALE,MUNGRISDALE-SOUTHER

NORTHERN FELLS - BOWSCALE,BANNERDALE,MUNGRISDALE-SOUTHER

Postby susanmyatt » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:47 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Bannerdale Crags, Bowscale Fell, Mungrisdale Common, Souther Fell

Hewitts included on this walk: Bannerdale Crags, Bowscale Fell

Date walked: 19/06/2010

Time taken: 6

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 785m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hello everyone, hope you are enjoying the sun (and the football :thumbup: ) We, hubby and I, left Threlkeld early and parked up at Mungrisdale, on the verge just before the village hall, and were off up the valley by 7am.

Route_Title.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We passed the phone box, through a gate and followed the River Glenderamackin..Rather than climb the Tongue we decided to follow the path up the left hand side which would take us to the ridge.
IMG_5426.jpg
The Tongue, our route to the left
It was a gradual climb that gave us great views back down the valley, of Souther Fell, Bannerdale Crags and the ever threatening Blencathra.
IMG_5441.jpg
Back down the valley
IMG_5446.jpg
Bannerdale Crags
We were soon at the summit of Bowscale Fell where the wind was quite fierce and we soon got cold.
IMG_5453.jpg
Bowscale summit at 702m, shelter and Blencathra behind
We quickly set off towards Bannerdale Crags, despite the dry weather it was still a bit spongey but it was a steady walk for our next summit at 683m.
IMG_5472.jpg
Towards Bannerdale Crags
IMG_5480.jpg
The Crags with Souther Fell behind
IMG_5487.jpg
Summit of Bannerdale with Bowscale behind in the distance
IMG_5496.jpg
Just to prove he is with me, our route up the valley is behind him
We descended a little towards the cairn facing Sharp Edge on Blencathra
IMG_5501.jpg
View from second cairn to Blencathra
IMG_5514.jpg
Sharp Edge
Before we set off down to the Col we saw our 3 walking buddies just reaching the climb to Scales Tarn, they were climbing Sharp Edge today :clap: We reached the col and without to much ascent we were onto Mungrisdale Common, it was quite a trudge over to the cairn and I know this Wainwright has been given some bad publicity but to us the all round views were splendid. Luckily it was dry and with a 360 we could see all of Blencathra, views to Derwent and numerous fells, Lonscale, Skiddaw, Calva, back of Sidda' and to the fells from where we had come.
IMG_5530.jpg
Calva and back of Skidda' Fells
IMG_5536.jpg
From Mungrisdale top, Derwent and many fells, Castle Crag in center
IMG_5539.jpg
From Mungrisdale top, Skiddaw
IMG_5548.jpg
Mungrisdale summit at 633m, Blencathra summit behind
Now it was the trudge back where we reached the col at the head of the valley down to White Horse Bent, we sat at the top staring directly at Sharp Edge, we could hear the climbers talking to eachother.
IMG_5562.jpg
Sharp Edge
IMG_5563.jpg
Sharp Edge
As we set off down the valley towards Souther Fell, the view of Sharp Edge changes considerably, also there was numerous people heading that way.
IMG_5579.jpg
Another view of the edge
We lost all our height as we cossed the river to start up Souther, it was a gradual climb and the views were magnificent.
IMG_5594.jpg
Climbing Souther, Blencathra behind
IMG_5595.jpg
Zoom in on the edge
As we climbed we could clearly see the routes to Scales Tarn and our route back down the valley.
IMG_5598.jpg
Routes to and from
There was a grand cairn at the southern end of Souther Fell and a very long walk across the top before we reached the summit at 522m, superb views across to the Dodds etc.
IMG_5610.jpg
Souther Fell summit at 522m, Bannerdale Crags right behind
It was quite steep off the fell as we headed straight for the village, we could actually see the car, you know the feeling when you wish you could transport yourself right to it. :lol:
IMG_5622.jpg
Descending Souther Fell
IMG_5625.jpg
I can see me car !!!!
A great start to our week and ready for a drink as it was quite warm by the time we reached the car, still not too far to travel home, more walks to come, love Sue :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Re: NORTHERN FELLS - BOWSCALE,BANNERDALE,MUNGRISDALE-SOUTHER

Postby mountain coward » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:58 pm

I almost did a similar horseshoe the other week when I walked Skiddaw with Derek T off here... but instead I predictably went for my usual Grisedale Pike as the bad weather was coming in...

But I can't believe you went down the back of Blencathra and back up again to pick up Mungrisedale Common! That's real dedication! I honestly think that it is the Wainwright which Wainwright included as a joke! I hated it - I just tacked it onto the end of Great Calva and walked out below Skiddaw House on the valley track. I think most people would only normally include it on either a final ascent or descent to/from Blencathra et al!
mountain coward

Postby fedupofuserids » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:29 pm

I quite like Mungrisedale Common. It's peaceful :lol: it gives pretty good views to the surrounding fells.

Wainwright was a bit mean here IMO.
fedupofuserids

Postby susanmyatt » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:31 pm

I think he was too serious about his fells to have included it for a joke, we were glad it was dry, wouldn't like to be there in winter :(
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Postby PauloUK77 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:40 pm

Good report Susan,its strange to see how different it looks to when I was in that area in winter time.
I like some of your pics of Sharp Edge.
PauloUK77
Mountain Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:28   

Postby susanmyatt » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:55 pm

Thanks Paulo, we took quite alot as we had a cereal bar and a drink watching them cautiously make their way, some confident some not so, don't think its for me, it was quite windy on the tops that morning as well.
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Postby fedupofuserids » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:07 pm

I agree with MC in a previous post Sharp Edge is quite polished, apart from the short exposed bit that can be a bit dodgy it isn't too bad. I've been along it with two terriers even with their short legs they coped, but then most dogs are not afraid of heights.

I'm not afraid of heights, or exposure its more hitting the bottom after falling from a great exposed height that scares me !

Out of the many thousands of people who traverse it each year very few get hurt. In the winter months (Nov-Feb) when iced, as PauloUK77 said, its a bit more tricky.
fedupofuserids

Postby 37lumleyst » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Great report there Sue and some cracking pics - I've done Blencathra way back when but did it from the A66 and went up via sharp edge (the best ridge in the Lakes I think)

I've always wanted to get 'out back' of Blencathra but never managed it yet - I love the rolling hills and wide open feel that you often dont get in other parts of the lakes. As always a great report and cracking pics :D
37lumleyst

Munros:6   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:49
Wainwrights:56   

Postby fedupofuserids » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:35 am

Nice report to a group of underated fells.

I found the diversion around the lower fields a bit annoying, a long diversion because one farmer to refuses access one field no bigger than the average back garden !

I'm sure the footpath route across Souther Fell to Mungrisedale was there well before his fields (just ask the ghost army - if you meet them).
fedupofuserids

Postby mountain coward » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:34 am

susanmyatt wrote:I think he was too serious about his fells to have included it for a joke, we were glad it was dry, wouldn't like to be there in winter :(

No, he actually admits that one of the fells in his books, he just put there for a joke! He did have that kind of sense of humour :D

Fedupofuserids - the route around the bottom of Souther Fell did used to go straight down - Wainwright lists that as the route - it's been changed since his books were written. To be honest, if I come down there in the evening, I just cut across his fields and hope he isn't looking! It annoys me too having to divert round, especially as the track is hidden in long bracken and a very ankle-snapping surface! :(
mountain coward

Postby susanmyatt » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:33 am

To be honest we did, meant vaulting the farm gate but needs must :lol:
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Postby mountain coward » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:44 am

susanmyatt wrote:To be honest we did, meant vaulting the farm gate but needs must :lol:

:lol: that ol' farmer's probably wondering why that path across his field from the bottom of Souther Fell to the pub door isn't fading at all yet! :lol:
mountain coward

Postby The English Alpinist » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:13 pm

'we could actually see the car, you know the feeling when you wish you could transport yourself right to it.' - Yes I know that feeling! What an interesting route, lots of useful description thanks (I'm going up there later this week, might well be in rain cloud so it's good to know Mungrisdale summit is where I thought it was on the map!).
The English Alpinist
Mountain Walker

Munros:56   Corbetts:11
Fionas:22   Donalds:18+10
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:214   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland