walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Strange spot to shelter on summit of Morrone

Strange spot to shelter on summit of Morrone

Postby dogplodder » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:43 pm

Route description: Morrone ascent, Braemar

Corbetts included on this walk: Morrone

Date walked: 21/06/2015

Distance: 12 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was a last minute decision to climb Morrone. We hadn't planned a hill that day but the dogs needed a walk so we thought why not? We started in the centre of Braemar and it's the only time I can remember starting walking up a hill from the place where we were staying.

Lilac Cottage
DSC_3294-large.JPG

View from our window of Morrone beyond the trees
DSC_3293-large.JPG

We crossed the road and followed the road for Linn o' Dee passing the Bothy Cafe with its home-baking and free Wifi and then the boarded up Fife Arms Hotel which according to a local is being refurbished into something swankier than it was before but will be closed for the Braemar Games this year which will be a problem for accommodation.

DSC_3295-large.JPG

At the mini roundabout we turned left then took the right fork up Chapel Brae. The first three photos were taken a couple of days after we climbed Morrone but the day we set off was dull and overcast - and we hoped it wasn't going to rain!

DSC_3139-large.JPG

DSC_3141-large.JPG

We passed the car park and the duck pond and kept left at the track signed for Morrone.

Duck pond and Morrone beyond
DSC_3143-large.JPG

Dogs patiently waiting while we faffed with cameras
DSC_3147-large.JPG

Path narrows through the birch woods
DSC_3148-large.JPG

Braemar from lower slopes of Morrone
DSC_3149-large.JPG

Approaching the gate
DSC_3150-large.JPG

Good path crosses the moor
DSC_3151-large.JPG

The dark clouds had turned into rain (M's pic)
008-large.JPG

It was one of those times when you make the wrong call on whether to stop and put on the waterproof trousers. You know the scenario, you have them in the bag and what's the point of carrying them if you're not going to use them.... but the rain is just light and maybe it's just a passing shower so your damp trousers will soon dry off etc etc. Except that today you weren't in proper hill walking mode - just dog walking mode - and the trousers you have on are absorbing every drop of rain so that by the time you know you should stop and pull on the waterproofs it's way too late and all you'd be doing is trapping all that wetness... so what's the point now?

(M's pic)
009-large.JPG

The light rain turned into heavy rain and by the time we reached the top was falling as hailstones and I was soaked from the jacket down - not quite what we had hoped for on midsummer's day!

Cold and wet at the top
DSC_3155-large.JPG

Leaving the cottage at lunchtime but without having any lunch meant we were by this time (with apologies to mrssanta) cold, wet and hungry. But with hailstones bouncing off our heads I don't think I've been on a summit less appealing as a lunch spot! All was not lost however. On closer examination of the buildings round the radio mast there was a doorway behind a wall with a roof over and just enough space for two drookit wifies and their dogs to hunker down for a cup of coffee and a sandwich.

Salubrious spot to celebrate solstice (M's pic)
012-large.JPG

Ain't this fun? (M's pic)
013-large.JPG

It was miserable and dreich so we didn't hang around but continued on the circular route suggested by WH.

Descent route heading south west in direction of Glen Ey
DSC_3156-large.JPG

Start of the descent
DSC_3158-large.JPG

The track meanders gently down before rising slightly to a cairn. These old dogs have bagged so many hills that when they reach a cairn they automatically go into posing-for-photo-beside-the-cairn mode so I didn't have the heart to disappoint, even though this wasn't the top of our hill. The thing that makes me smile is the way they get up and walk off as soon as they hear the click of the camera. No retakes for them!

Cairn photo
DSC_3160-large.JPG

Looking back at summit (M's pic)
022-large.JPG

From the cairn the track turns east and descends into the glen. It's a vehicle track all the way.

DSC_3162-large.JPG

The track leads to a minor road in Glen Clunie, which is an old military road that leads back to Braemar.

DSC_3164-large.JPG

Looking back the way we came beside the River Clunie
DSC_3165-large.JPG

The road passes through Braemar Golf Course and despite the rain there were plenty of folk out playing. It was good to see we weren't the only daft folk out that afternoon!

Peter coming to meet us in the car - which was a nice wee bonus
DSC_3166-large.JPG

A view of Morrone from Invercauld a few days later
DSC_3236-large.JPG
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Strange spot to shelter on summit of Morrone

Postby dogplodder » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:10 pm

Morrone from Altdourie
DSC_3239-large.JPG

It maybe wasn't the best day for it but even in the rain we got quite good views - and we couldn't have stayed in Braemar and not climbed it! :D
dogplodder

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:02 pm

Shame about the weather, I always think the view from Morrone (looking north) is one of the best panoramas around.

That thing about the waterproofs, I'm convinced I just carry them in the rucksack out of habit as I rarely put them on - same theory, what's the point, when the rain stops I'll dry off quickly.................
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby dogplodder » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:46 pm

Gordie12 wrote:
That thing about the waterproofs, I'm convinced I just carry them in the rucksack out of habit as I rarely put them on - same theory, what's the point, when the rain stops I'll dry off quickly.................

Or you go to the other extreme like I did last week and put them on at the first hint of proper rain and then when it's just a shower can't be faffed to take them off so spend the rest of the day feeling like a mobile sauna. :roll:
dogplodder

Postby Blokewithastroke » Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:48 pm

Well, I never...! We have done exactly the same as you and rented Lilac Cottage as our base for a week. Just 7 years and 2 months apart from each other!

We approached Morrone somewhat differently to you. Instead of going by the Duck Pond, we took the road to the Golf Club. We certainly had better weather than you!
Blokewithastroke
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:15

Postby al78 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:15 pm

I was in Braemar a few days before you and got the same dreich wet conditions. I couldn't be bothered to stop and put on waterproofs thinking it was just a passing shower, which turned out to be prolonged moderate to heavy rain, and I got soaked, so with the summit well and truly in the cloud, I turned round about a third of the way up.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby dogplodder » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:34 pm

Blokewithastroke wrote:Well, I never...! We have done exactly the same as you and rented Lilac Cottage as our base for a week. Just 7 years and 2 months apart from each other!

We approached Morrone somewhat differently to you. Instead of going by the Duck Pond, we took the road to the Golf Club. We certainly had better weather than you!

Aw thanks for this. I've fond memories of Lilac Cottage with its open plan kitchen/dining room/ lounge and the jigsaw that occupied half the dining table until we got it completed! Seeing our dogs, now sadly departed, sitting dutifully by that cairn (that wasn't the top) made me smile. Seven years! :eh:
dogplodder

Postby Blokewithastroke » Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:43 pm

We harboured a fairly secret ambition, which was to buy the place. However, we would have to win the National Lottery to have any hope of being able to do this. Ah well...

I am sorry to hear of the demise of your two dogs. I know from different readings of your blogs over the years how much they meant to you.
Blokewithastroke
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:15

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland