walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vorlich (the Loch Lomond one)

Ben Vorlich (the Loch Lomond one)

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:55 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond)

Date walked: 02/08/2015

Time taken: 4.2 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 971m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The forecasts all seemed to suggest black clouds around Loch Lomond by about 10am so I decided on an early start (a very early start with a 2am alarm call).

I was parked up at Inveruglas and walking by 4.45am, I could have taken a few minutes more to get ready but in the flat calm conditions the midgies were feasting so I didn't hang around.

1.jpg
Ben Lomond in the early morning light

Having started from the same car park last week when I did Ben Vane the first part of the walk was very familiar as I headed up the road towards Loch Sloy.

2.jpg
Why can't I walk past piles of logs without getting the camera out?

I was looking for the cairn, worried I might miss it - it's big and hard to miss. Looking over from Ben Vane last week the ascent looked pretty steep and it was now time to find out how steep.

3.jpg
Loch Sloy dam

After all the recent rain the first part of the climb is pretty wet, where there are stones on the path it is easy walking, where there are no stones it's fairly muddy and my thoughts turn to coming down this path later on.

The climb looked like hard work from Ben Vane and it is but it's not as full on as it looks and there are little sections where the gradient eases and the legs can get a break.

4.jpg
Looking over to Ben Vane

5.jpg
The climb that lies ahead

6.jpg
Looking down to the Loch Sloy road

7.jpg
A 'Chrois

8.jpg
Rubbish pic of Loch Lomond appearing out of the gloom

9.jpg
Looking down again

After a fair amount of toil and sweat the path seems to level off a bit and on checking my Garmin I'm now on the wide ridge with most of the climb behind me and it's just a case of walking over to the top.

10.jpg
The summit appearing, then disappearing, then appearing again

11.jpg
Trig point

12.jpg
The summit about 200m beyond the trig point

13.jpg

There was a bit of a breeze at the top and the clag was swirling round. Very briefly the clag cleared and I got to see...............a windfarm :( as well as Ben Vane and down to Loch Sloy - no views to the east to be had today.

14.jpg
Loch Sloy

15.jpg
Looking back to the summit

16.jpg
Loch Sloy - it was in view when I got the camera out

17.jpg
Path leading in to the clouds

And so to the descent, back along the ridge is straight forward as is the first part of the descent where the track is solid underfoot. Having come a cropper a couple of times on descents in the last couple of weeks I stuck the waterproof bottoms on at the point where the track went from being solid to being either a mud or wet grass slide. Forward planning, not something I'm renowned for but it paid off as I found myself on my bum twice within 5 minutes of sticking the waterproofs on. It's maybe not as slippy as I suggest as I'm starting to think that the tread on this pair of boots aren't up to the job (boots are only a couple of months old so it's not a wear issue).

18.jpg
Summer haircut

It was good to get back on tarmac when I reached the Loch Sloy road, waterproofs off and just a short walk left down the road.

Arrived back at the car park just before 9am, very strange feeling to be finished already.

Eaten by midgies, couldn't see much at the top, fell twice on the way down, no decent pictures yet I really enjoyed this walk and it got me on to 96 which was the plan - if the weather god is kind I might just get Devil's Point to Braeriach in next week as I would love Braeriach to be no 100.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: Ben Vorlich (the Loch Lomond one)

Postby katyhills » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:14 pm

Looks like you had a great walk despite the 'not so good' weather. Think the weather was a bit better than the forecast suggested a couple of days ago though. At least you still got some great photos. Nice report too. :D
I had a week's holiday in early May and went back up Vorlich on a sunny Friday, but went up over the end and along the whole ridge, coming down your ascent route. It was really pleasant, so I can recommend doing that if you get another chance.
Think I saw those sheep - bit woollier back in May though :wink:
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby ancancha » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:33 pm

Nice photo of the imposing and austere Loch Sloy dam 8)
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby dogplodder » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:44 pm

I know you said you like an early start but that was seriously early...! :eh:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby skuk007 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:59 pm

Gordie12 wrote:...I was looking for the cairn, worried I might miss it - it's big and hard to miss...

Glad this has been improved since I did it a few years ago, so many people have missed it, including myself :shh:
I remember that long slog up from the road, it was a dry day when I did it but still extremely boggy in places.

Shame about the weather, hope it's better when you get around to Braeriach.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:31 pm

katyhills wrote:Looks like you had a great walk despite the 'not so good' weather. Think the weather was a bit better than the forecast suggested a couple of days ago though. At least you still got some great photos. Nice report too. :D
I had a week's holiday in early May and went back up Vorlich on a sunny Friday, but went up over the end and along the whole ridge, coming down your ascent route. It was really pleasant, so I can recommend doing that if you get another chance.
Think I saw those sheep - bit woollier back in May though :wink:

Hi katyhills

I don't like doing hills once then never going back so hopefully in the future I will get back to this one and Ben Vane.

I had a peek at your Munro map as you seem to have really good knowledge of this area - how come you've done Driesh but not Mayar (their like beans and toast or dairylea cheese and raspberry jam) ????
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:32 pm

ancancha wrote:Nice photo of the imposing and austere Loch Sloy dam 8)

It's certainly imposing when you are below it and you think about what would happen if it sprung a leak.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:35 pm

dogplodder wrote:I know you said you like an early start but that was seriously early...! :eh:

I think I confused the cat, around 3am most mornings he jumps up on the bed then sits down near my face and starts crying at me for breakfast - for once I got to wake him up!!

Actually, I may have confused a group of 3 walkers (as well as the cat) getting ready to start their walk at 9am when they saw me getting back to the car, getting changed and heading home :shock:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:39 pm

skuk007 wrote:
Gordie12 wrote:...I was looking for the cairn, worried I might miss it - it's big and hard to miss...

Glad this has been improved since I did it a few years ago, so many people have missed it, including myself :shh:
I remember that long slog up from the road, it was a dry day when I did it but still extremely boggy in places.

Shame about the weather, hope it's better when you get around to Braeriach.

Hi skuk007 - it must be a decent size if I saw it.

I'll only do the Braeriach four if the forecast was really good as that is one day out where I really want to appreciate the scenery - it's a group of hills I've wanted to do for the last 2 summers but just never got the right day for it.
Gordie12
Wanderer

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland