walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Narnain

Beinn Narnain

Postby ancancha » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:18 pm

Route description: Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ìme

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Narnain

Date walked: 01/08/2015

Time taken: 5.27 hours

Distance: 12.29 km

Ascent: 1117m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beinn Narnain.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I did Beinn Ime a couple of years ago and thought I would be doing Beinn Narnain on the same day, that was the plan. I failed to spot the well concealed path and carried on up the good path by the Allt a' Bhalachain, did Beinn Ime and on looking up at Beinn Narnain on the way back decided just to head back down. It had been raining all day and I was soaked, at least I got Beinn Ime on that occassion :roll:
Perhaps I and still trying to tidy up my blue pins and decided to get Beinn Narnain out of the way. The forecast wasn't great with a low bringing heavy rain and indeed on the drive through from Edinburgh there were several downpours. There was however some blue sky and I carried on through Glasgow. Been caught out twice now by the car satnav, next time I will type in Stirling and then Arrochar :!:
Got to the car park at Succoth and spent some time with the bees

Beinn Narnain bees.jpg

drinking the pretty pink flowers, I just spectated :lol:

Headed out of the end of the car park and read the spiel about how the last ice sheet 18000 years ago had filled in the gullies and corries but left the peaks protruding above, this would have been an impressive inversion :!: The intense cold left the distinctive mountain scape of the west of Scotland. There's also a fabulous wood carving and another on the other side of the road.
I looked for the track straight up to Beinn Narnain at the point where WH gpx said it should be, but all I could see was what looked like a very small stream coming out of the undergrowth; this is the actual track :!: I carried on up the beaten track, was good to get a warm up anyway. Turned right onto the landrover track at the memorial bench to Tam and again searched for the track straight up and eventually decided this must be it :?:

Beinn Narnain start track.jpg

again it looked more like a small stream coming out of the undergrowth and down a steep slab :?

It got interesting quite quickly, though it still resembled a small stream for most of the way. Photo below was one of the more interesting parts over a slab, the concrete blocks of the cable car higglety pigglety on the left hand side at this point

Beinn Narnain start stream up.jpg

Escaped the woods and there is a short section of nice path which marks the end of the old cable car installation before the start of the climb proper

Beinn Narnain start climb.jpg

Almost immediately there is a short steep section up a slab which is still a stream :roll: In fairness it had been raining heavily during the earlier part of the day and it hasn't been a great summer. Onwards up several sections of what I would term grassy shelves although suspect these are the notches of the name Beinn Narnain "notched hill".
It's all quite tame to start with really along a well defined path until you get onto one of the notches and a nice although easy scramble up this slab; the path got drier the higher I went...

Beinn Narnain scramble slab.jpg

Then shortly after the top of this section a larger shelf or notch with a great view of the Cobble

Beinn Narnain cobbler.jpg

and the ridge round to A' Chrois

Beinn Narnain a chrois.jpg

with Ben Vane and Ben Vorlich poking there summits up behind.

I could see there would be more sections of scrambling from now on and I stashed my poles and put on gloves

Beinn Narnain scramble really start.jpg

but there is still a well defined path and although there are parts where I needed hand holds most of it was on foot as it were

Beinn Narnain path to scramble.jpg

but not to denigrate it in anyway, it was interesting, I thoroughly enjoyed it and there were times when I was definitely paying attention :!:

Beinn Narnain really scramble a.jpg

Beinn Narnain really scramble b.jpg

Beinn Narnain really scramble c.jpg

Got to the top hoping for spectacular views, but sadly the clag was coming and going. Oh well I'd been lucky and there hadn't been any rain

Beinn Narnain top start.jpg

trig point

Beinn Narnain trig.jpg

and cairns

Beinn Narnain cairns.jpg

I hung around on the top for a few minutes, put the phone on charge and tightened up my boots but the clag wasn't for lifting and the night is fair drawing in :roll: so I started down and eventually got a tame shot of Beinn Ime from lower down

Beinn Narnain Beinn Ime.jpg

I remember Beinn Ime; well worth a visit, although I also remember the bog that needs to be crossed at the bealach :( properly waterproof boots and gaiters recommended.

The Cobbler is looking very different now from lower down and this angle, still appealing and am sure not too much time to get up, but the light is going fast so I am off down the very good path I remember from before. Through the big stones and past the dam before going into the forest zig zags to the car park.

There is one more scenic event though :D
Apparently it was a blue moon yesterday, the 31st of July where there are two full moons in one month, the origin of the phrase once in a blue moon.
The moon is certainly still very full although it is one day short of being completely full next to Ben Lomond. Wonder how many times it lines up in this way :?:

Beinn Narnain ben lomond moon.jpg

Got back to the car and something to eat and started the drive back. All the way along Loch Lomond the moon was glinting off the water, it really was bright and there was no cloud now. I had to stop and take some photos. I don't carry a tripod, perhaps I will get one of those gorilla pods; been thinking about it. Anyway no long exposure photos to do the scene justice and the few I took on auto didn't come out that great. Certainly not worth uploading.
I did however get this zoomed photo and was astonished to see the craters on the right hand side

Beinn Narnain moon.jpg

Awesome 8)
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Re: Beinn Narnain

Postby katyhills » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:35 pm

Lovely report and great moon and bee photos!

Your photos are very similar to mine when I was there again at the end of May. I also included the ridge across to a'Chrois, coming down to meet the path you went up. It was lovely and peaceful :D
I'd agree - you think there's going to be more difficulty with the Spearhead but it's not tricky at all.
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:53 pm

Thanks for posting this - I'm hopefully heading this way soon so useful to read a report (loved the moon shot).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby ancancha » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:37 pm

katyhills wrote:Lovely report and great moon and bee photos!

Your photos are very similar to mine when I was there again at the end of May. I also included the ridge across to a'Chrois, coming down to meet the path you went up. It was lovely and peaceful :D
I'd agree - you think there's going to be more difficulty with the Spearhead but it's not tricky at all.

Cheers katyhills, it was a fun walk and I'm into wildlife. it would have been nice to do the ridge round to a'Chrois and down, it looked liked the best option, or to have done the Cobbler, but alas time for the day had run out :(
The moon was amazing 8)
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Postby dogplodder » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:40 pm

Nice shot of the moon. Didn't know where 'once in a blue moon' came from or that July has two full moons! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby ancancha » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:43 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Thanks for posting this - I'm hopefully heading this way soon so useful to read a report (loved the moon shot).

We are both in the same part of the world at the moment, I was going to do Oss and Dubhchraig next, but WH says it is very wet in places, and the weather this summer won't have allowed it to dry out any :(
Still I'm into heavy engineering and the dam at Loch Sloy looks great 8) so will try for Vane and Vorlich next, but will still be keeping an eye on the forecast :lol:
The moon was special :!:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Postby ancancha » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:51 pm

dogplodder wrote:Nice shot of the moon. Didn't know where 'once in a blue moon' came from or that July has two full moons! :D

Thanks dogplodder, touche so far as the blue moon is concerned.
It happens every three years apparently, though not sure if it is always in July :?:
Listening to the educational Radio Scotland last week alleviated my ignorance :wink:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland