walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

4 SEASONS, 4 MUNROS AND A CORBETT

4 SEASONS, 4 MUNROS AND A CORBETT

Postby lairdoharray » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:56 pm

Date walked: 31/07/2015

Time taken: 8 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

2 hrs drive from Glasgow exactly. 8 hrs exactly away from the car. 1 hr between each Munro. Weather not great to start and deteriorated to the point of despond, but faith in the forecast was rewarded. Couldn't believe how quickly I got up Geal Charn despite a wrong turn at the start that cost height to correct. Was there in 1 hr 15. The regal Ben Alder let me have a brief glimpse before cloud intervened. (It's still high on my hit list.) Many thanks to those who built the horseshoe shelters at the top of Geal Charn and A' Mharconaich. By the time I got to the latter, I was soaked and then the hail bit me, driven by a gale. I debated going back down, but soldiered on to Beinn Udlamain. A lesson in trusting map and compass and as doubt crept in, the Lord parted the clouds to let me see the reassuring fence posts (again, thanks to past heroes who worked hard up there). At the top, it was definitely improving. The sun shone as I tottled across to Sgairneach Mhor and I dried out! Incredibly, given my earlier doldrums, I decided to do the Sow of Atholl on my way down, principally because my son would find it amusing that I climbed a hill with such a name. Being a good boy, I did not trespass on the railway, but I did hold on to a bridge to help me cross a lively burn. A great day in my own country, as my wife and daughter cruised into Malta. F R E E D O M ! for a week.
lairdoharray
Mountain Walker

Munros:82   Corbetts:13
Grahams:6   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:14   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland