walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Eaval (North Uist) -

Eaval (North Uist) -

Postby AlexSkye » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:47 pm

Route description: Eabhal (Eaval), North Uist

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Eaval (North Uist)

Date walked: 05/08/2015

Distance: 10.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We had hoped to climb Eaval during our on Benbeula this week. Unfortunately we hadn't checked the tide times, and the stepping stones were mostly covered by fast flowing water. We didn't want to be defeated so we returned four hours later during low tide. Although a few more stones were uncovered, it was still impossible to cross. I can only guess that previous heavy rain had raised the water level at the stepping stones.

It might have been passable if wading through bare foot, but the water was flowing so quickly that it would have been risky. It's a shame because it looks like a fantastic walk.

Looking at the map (and with a bit of help from google), it might be possible to walk from Cladach Chairinis and approach the base from the opposite direction.

We were probably just very unlucky on the day, but I thought it would be best to advise that the walk might not always be possible. Hopefully I'll get another chance another year!
Attachments
steppingstones.jpg
The crossing, somewhere!
AlexSkye
Mountain Walker

Munros:9   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:16

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland