walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Caisteal & Beinn a'Chroin

An Caisteal & Beinn a'Chroin

Postby ancancha » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:15 pm

Route description: An Caisteal and Beinn a'Chròin, near Crianlarich

Munros included on this walk: An Caisteal, Beinn a' Chròin

Date walked: 07/08/2015

Time taken: 7.17 hours

Distance: 15.15 km

Ascent: 1067m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

An Caisteal.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I liked the name An Caisteal and lots of other walkers say it is worth a go, so here I am. Initially I had some tentative hopes of doing Beinn Chabhair as well, but I was late getting here after finishing work.
It's sunny again though 8)
Got the kit on including gaiters, crossed the style and under the railway and took a photo of the foot bridge across the burn. There is major hydro works going on. A young man came down to chat, though suspect he is also down to do a bit of subtle interrogating as I'd taken a photo :!:

An Caisteal footbridge.jpg

Anyway they've made a nice road up the initial part of the walk. Whatever your views I doubt any of us will be walking on the hard going if there's a nice road nearby.

I didn't actually find the WH off ramp to go up the hill, but did find a sort of path. I more or less followed where WH said to, but the ground is quite squashy and the path very indistinct, non existent in places, so it's was more a question of heading in the right general direction.
About half way up to the Sron Gharbh I keep hearing birds singing and tweeting, but wherever I looked I couldn't see them :?: Turns out they are a couple of Meadow Pippits right above me :!: how sneaky is that :eh: Once their cover had been blown they landed on a nearby rock.

There is a barbed wire fence to negotiate, but it's sturdy with square mesh below and easy foot steps, although I did walk along it to find an easy point to cross.

One hundred and eighty degree views northward take the mind off the slog up the sodden grassy slope. Nearer the top there is a more distinct path

An Caisteal Sron Gharbh.jpg

which goes around Sron Gharbh rather than over it, but no matter, once you get up onto the ridge this walk really starts to take shape and the wet start is soon forgotten.

Looking up the ridge to An Caisteal

An Caisteal three peak.jpg

Even from here views to Ben More and further north as well as those to the west are majestic.
This looking back down and over Sron Gharbh north

An Caisteal Sron Gharbh north.jpg

Just after this point the path up to the summit of An Caisteal really becomes a joy with some really entertaining sections

An Caisteal entertaining path one.jpg

It's difficult to decide whether to include the spectacular views all around or just focus on the varied and fun path. Guess a compromise, here's a photo to the west

An Caisteal path view west.jpg

Then a particularly memorable part of the path which crosses a cleft in the rocks which has a big hole in it :!: It's got a very short scramble on the other side, so after taking a few photos I stashed the poles and put on gloves

An Caisteal entertaining path two.jpg

An Caisteal cleft hole.jpg

Once on the other side I tried to venture down to take a look into the hole, but the grass was slippy and had come away from the rock in places, so I carried on to Twistin hill

An Caisteal twistin hill.jpg

I took the bypass to the left, rather than the scramble over the top, but on reflection and having gone down for a peek from the top it is probably much and such for difficulty. Quickly reached the summit with great views, this one again north over Twistin hill

An Caisteal summit.jpg

but it is take your pick from this vantage point 8)

Beinn Chabhair looking west down Loch Long

An Caisteal Beinn Chabhair west.jpg

Stopped shortly after this and had something to eat from a perch where I was getting a grand stand view of the Beinn a Chroin ridge and the cliffs below, and other hills to the south west. Ben Lomand looks a lot different from this viewpoint, zoomed

An Caisteal ben lomand.jpg

Now the fun would really start :lol:
There is so much to hold your interest on this walk, and the camera is clicking all the time, choosing what to include in this report is tricky :?
The whole area is a bit like Glen Coe with a bit more grass and greenery, very scenic :!:

The path down to Bealach Buidhe

An Caisteal path down to bealach buidhe.jpg

There are a few scrambly bits on the way down with one of the rockier outcrops reminding me of an M C Esher drawing with it's intriguing twists and turns as it seemed to backtrack through and around the rock; this sort of thing
http://www.mcescher.com/gallery/most-popular/relativity/

Mathematical (M C Esher was into maths, the basis for many of his drawings) visualisations over it is down the last steep section to the bealach

An Caisteal steep decent down to bealach buidhe.jpg

I was at this point thinking there hadn't been much in the way of wildlife :?: and low and behold a Raven call from just behind me and then landed on a grassy ledge on the other side of the bealach to have it's photo taken 8)

An Caisteal raven.jpg

Still not a bang on in focus close up, but definitely clear enough to be one hundred percent sure it's a Raven 8) I continued further along the path and got closer, but then it's chum flew round behind me and the Raven on the ledge was off as well. I almost got a great silhouette shot of the take off, but just too slow, sais la vie :(

The focus now was on getting up to Beinn a Chroin which I was expecting to have a few challenging parts. One being somewhere in amongst these rocks. It took a few moments to work out some secure footings and hand holds, before getting a knee up onto the upper ledge and then the rest of me :D

An Caisteal path up Beinn a Chroin.jpg

From here on it was more or less walking up to the ridge

An Caisteal path up Beinn a Chroin underhang.jpg

and the ridge itself with its wee Lochans and the first summit cairn with a view of Stob Binnein, Ben More behind Cruach Ardrain. Not sure if this is a summit, there seemed to be three cairns, two before the next bealach and one after

An Caisteal Beinn a Chroin first summit.jpg

A wee Lochan before the next cairn

An Caisteal Beinn a Chroin wee lochan.jpg

which I assume is one of the actual summits with the cairn on a slab of rock that resembles a clam shell

An Caisteal Beinn a Chroin first true summit.jpg

There's a bit of a steep but short decent into a bealach before the next ascent to the final summit, I was on my derriere sliding down a couple of slabby bits; deliberately I hasten to add :lol:

An Caisteal Beinn a Chroin bealach.jpg

There's a path down from the bealach, so I thought this was an up and back down to the same spot and took off my rucksack to lighten the load, but on checking the satnav it seemed there was also another path off the top.

The final summit of Beinn a Chroin

An Caisteal Beinn a Chroin final summit.jpg

Still great views, this one over to Learg an Lochan

An Caisteal Beinn a Chroin final summit and learg an lochan.jpg

As you can see the light is fading, so it's pretty much down the path as fast as possible

An Caisteal Beinn a Chroin final summit and path down.jpg

The path down to the solitary birch tree at the bottom was also enjoyable, at times I though it was a fun run :!: I wasn't actually running, but I was coming down quickly and for the most part the path is good with interesting slab sections as well and of course still the views.
Past the tree and things change to a bog trot, though there is still the view up to the cliffs and the burn to cross which keeps me smiling :)
On the other side of the burn it really is a bog trot :!: squelch squelch splash squelch splash....
I was glad to get to the dam construction site and a good road home.

All in all though these two Munros are a lot of fun, enjoy :D
Last edited by ancancha on Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Re: An Caisteal & Beinn a'Chroin

Postby Petr Dakota » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:28 pm

Glad you got good views :clap: :wink: :)
Some nice photos there :clap:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby jamesb63 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:41 pm

Nice report and pics :clap: :clap: I done An Caisteal earlier in the year in a Whiteout
and then returned to do Beinn a'Chroin a few weeks ago from Inverlochlarig
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54324
I had hardly reached the summit when the clag rolled in :lol: :lol:
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Munros:218   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby ancancha » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:25 pm

Petr Dakota wrote:Glad you got good views :clap: :wink: :)
Some nice photos there :clap:

Thanks Petr
A great day for photography, camera out most of the time which is why it took me so long to get round :lol:
It's a really fun walk 8)

jamesb63 wrote:Nice report and pics :clap: :clap: I done An Caisteal earlier in the year in a Whiteout
and then returned to do Beinn a'Chroin a few weeks ago from Inverlochlarig
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54324
I had hardly reached the summit when the clag rolled in :lol: :lol:

Thanks james
Not sure I'd want to do it in a whiteout :shock:
Interesting route in for ticking off Beinn a'Chroin, did you bike hike :?:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:29 pm

Lovely pics :D I remember that hole as it was lunch spot for me, when some rain came in :lol: Not to mention driving a guy who accompanied me for the walk out, and giving him a lift back to Arrochar so he could get dinner...Hotel wouldn't save it, if you were late you were late...nice :lol:
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby ancancha » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:33 pm

spiderwebb wrote:Lovely pics :D I remember that hole as it was lunch spot for me, when some rain came in :lol: Not to mention driving a guy who accompanied me for the walk out, and giving him a lift back to Arrochar so he could get dinner...Hotel wouldn't save it, if you were late you were late...nice :lol:

It looked like an interesting hole :!:
Would have thought some flexible hospitality would have been preferable to starving you temporary walking buddy :eh:
It was the day for photos 8)

I liked the cleft in the mountains with the big hole, wonder whats in the hole :?:
Nice mini scramble on the other side up to Twistin hill, great name :)

An Caisteal cleft scramble.jpg

Would have been great to include Beinn Chabhair summit and it looked like a nice bealach across and not too demanding on the other side

An Caisteal down to bealach Beinn Chabhair.jpg

I was out of time though and would have missed the very amusing Esher outcrop if I'd gone for it.

Looking back to the Esher outcrop

An Caisteal looking back over esher rock.jpg

Nice Lochan at the bealach and good view of the path up to Beinn a Chroin

An Caisteal bealach lochan.jpg

My almost photo of the Raven taking off :(

An Caisteal the almost raven photo.jpg

The first cute wee Lochan at the start of Beinn a Chroin ridge

An Caisteal first top lochan.jpg

And the ridge back down

An Caisteal down ridge off Beinn a Chroin.jpg

to the solitary Birch tree and the start of walking on water :angel:

An Caisteal solitary birch tree.jpg

Still some last light here for a look up to the Beinn a Chroin ridge and cliffs

An Caisteal looking back up to crags and Beinn a Chroin ridge.jpg

before the bog trot proper. I was very glad to see the hydro construction and road out, phew :!:

An Caisteal hydro construction.jpg
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Postby jamesb63 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:47 pm

Hi regarding Beinn a,Chroin from Inverlochlarig it is in fact not much
of a walk in before you start the Ascent so no need for a bike
and no bogs to contend with walking out as you get on the Crainlarich side :D
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Munros:218   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby 2manyYorkies » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:38 pm

Nice pictures. Looks like you were on this walk same time as I was across the way on Cruach Ardrain! I didn't get any interrogation from the works guys though, maybe lunch was more important for them. It was a grand day though. :D
2manyYorkies
Mountain Walker

Munros:188   Corbetts:22
Hewitts:77
Wainwrights:117   

Postby ancancha » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:08 pm

jamesb63 wrote:Hi regarding Beinn a,Chroin from Inverlochlarig it is in fact not much
of a walk in before you start the Ascent so no need for a bike
and no bogs to contend with walking out as you get on the Crainlarich side :D

Wet ground on the way in was ok, guess I was just keen to get back before the light went completely on the way back, although it was very very wet :!: Due to hydraulically interesting 2015 summer we are having I guess :lol:

2manyYorkies wrote:Nice pictures. Looks like you were on this walk same time as I was across the way on Cruach Ardrain! I didn't get any interrogation from the works guys though, maybe lunch was more important for them. It was a grand day though. :D

Perhaps I am overplaying it, he was a young man from the railway who was on lite duties due to dislocating his elbow. His job to stop trains using the track while heavy plant were crossing. Guess if you only have thirty minutes of work to do every day you will talk to everyone you can capture :lol:
So you went up Cruach Ardrain from Crianlarich and not Inverlochlarig :?:
I'd be keen to do the rest of those in this area, including Ben More; I really did have a good time and the views were fabulous, but I pulled a ligament in my ankle coming off Beinn a Chroin so fast :( even went to A&E this morning just in case :roll: rest and recuperation, they didn't even want to give me a walking stick to take the weight off it when walking in case I didn't rest it, sais la vie, hopefully it will heal quickly :cry:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:06 pm

The Raven is great ! :clap: :D I have a good experience with an Raven company from Glenfinnan this year :D :wink:
Nice to see these hills in green now, I was there over 2 months ago and it was brown...I did the 3 Munros together from Glen Falloch...remembering the work site :lol:
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=52044
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby rockhopper » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:10 pm

nice one - looks like you also picked a good day for the hills around here - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby ancancha » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:12 pm

rockhopper wrote:nice one - looks like you also picked a good day for the hills around here - cheers :)

Thanks rockhopper, these two were a lot of fun :D looking forward to completing the rest of the Crianlarich range 8)
ancancha
Mountain Walker

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland