walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Discarded rubbish

Discarded rubbish

Postby kevinpeters71 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:18 pm

Route description: Bennachie: Oxen Craig and Mither Tap

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Bennachie (Oxen Craig)

Date walked: 09/08/2015

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 9.25 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A great little leg stretcher was spoiled by the quantity of rubbish collected on both Oxen Craig and Mither Tap. I cannot recall ever seeing so much rubbish, ( water bottles, crisp packets, plastic bags) on any hill in the past.
I was always taught to respect these wonderful hills with the simple words, " If you carry it in in you carry it out"
Disgraceful disrespect.
kevinpeters71
Stravaiging

Re: Discarded rubbish

Postby Graeme D » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:36 pm

In the past I have been known to ask school kids when I have had them out on Duke of Edinburgh expeditions to pick up litter that we come across, only to get the response "but I didn't drop it". There then follows a brief discussion about why this is the wrong answer, even if it happens to be perfectly true.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:46 am

I can only think it's non hill people who have left this, I would hope so at least. As you say complete disrespect for the countryside, just wish these people would stay at home on their couches.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:57 am

Aye, I just cannot understand how anybody who feels the call of wanting to be in the hills/countryside/lochside, can then happily just leave it in a complete mess. Presumably they enjoy the beauty of it, or they wouldn't come, but why destroy it?

My dad, a former teacher, took groups out regularly to the hills. He tells of a time he caught a lad dropping a Mars bar wrapper on the top of Kinder Scout, and how the boy was surprised to find there were no rubbish collectors up there, he just thought that everywhere was cleaned by the council. After that, he was actively picking up others' litter for the rest of the day. So maybe some of it is a lack of education. But I suspect most of it is just sad people who don't give a to$$.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby larry groo » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:43 pm

This being my daily local hill, it's the amount of kids up there during the school hols that are making the mess. Usually it's really clean and most of the folk around seem to take all their litter home with them at other times.

I see the increase in footfall at this time of year, the car park can get quite full too.... the FC will be raking it in!!

Luckily I live close by, so can cycle to the car park then nip up/down.
larry groo

Postby ancancha » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:28 pm

Yes it is very sad, even discarded cigarette butts make me cringe, and they seem to be on the paths everywhere :!:
Would have thought getting into the high ground and fresh air would be a great opportunity to refrain for a while :crazy:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby dtr42 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:33 pm

was walking the cobbler yesterday and took home an extra bag of rubbish ,from banana skins to bottles ,crisp bags etc just left lying wherever the happy hikers had stopped ,I even found 2 dog poo bags tied to branches for the bin men to get ,I have noticed it has been getting worse over the last few years ,maybe a new type of walker being created who knows
dtr42
Mountaineer

Postby beech » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:47 pm

I've noticed cyclists discard those gel wrappers alot.
beech
Scrambler

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland