walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lomond, up via Ptarmigan route.

Ben Lomond, up via Ptarmigan route.

Postby BertvdBeu » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:55 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 04/06/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

While walking the West Highland Way me, Bert, and my wife Lucie, squeezed in some days to walk some Munro’s.
As Munro-bagging is also popular in the Netherlands, we heard about it some 6 years ago.
And today we will ‘do’ our first Munro.
The weather forecast tells us it is going to be warm. But at the start at Ptarmigan Lodge it was cloudy and windy. As most people take the normal route, I read on this excellent site that the other way round was more rewarding. So we went by the Ptarmigan-route.
bew P1050732-border.jpg
up via Ptarmigan route

The wind felt more and more cold, but under the summit crags the wind got calm, thanks to Ben Lomond itself, and then it was too warm. After some easy scrambling
P1050737-border.jpg
a bit craggy
we were on the summit, our first Munro.
bew P1050740-border.jpg
The first Munro !
It took us up some 3 hours including time to rest, taking pictures and looking at the plants, especially some orchids.
After some time at the summit we started descending the tourist-route, comparing to the Ptarmigan, more or less a highway.
bew P1050742-border.jpg
down via normal route
And it was getting warmer and warmer and at the forest it was 21°C. Too warm.
We descended to the car park in 2 hours 15 min. Total time: 5 hours 15 min.
A Tennant Lager waited for us as a reward.
Anyway, here are the photos.
Last edited by BertvdBeu on Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
BertvdBeu
Munro compleatist

Re: Ben Lomond, up via Ptarmigan route.

Postby weemistermac » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:41 pm

Congratulations on your first Munro Bert! You'll have the bug now! A swim in Loch Lomond is mandatory after climbing Ben Lomond, especially on a fine day. I hope you knew that :)
weemistermac

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland