walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Misty Mountain Top - Braeriach

Misty Mountain Top - Braeriach

Postby beech » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:46 pm

Munros included on this walk: Braeriach, Cairn Toul, Sgòr an Lochain Uaine

Date walked: 27/07/2015

Time taken: 12 hours

Distance: 40 km

Ascent: 2000m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Day Two from my base near the bothy in Glen Feshie, this time I headed West onto Moine Mhor, a highish level area between munros known for having a diverse ecology. I'd never been up here before. Always the wind was too strong or I'd been too cautious to try and wild camp so high up during winter months (with good reason to be fair).

I was a little nervous, I can't explain why. Perhaps it was reading a book by a mountain rescue guy (Cairngorm John) or I was on my own or I was tired from the previous day's walk or I'd not explored the area despite having the opportunity a couple of times.

I took the good track into its centre and found that once on it there wasn't much to be afraid of. The mountain bike tracks helped my confidence a bit.

moine_mhor.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The weather was cloudy. Quite low cloud down to 800m at times. Walking up the slopes of Braeraich, I stood and looked back to see cloud drifting in from the left and right but leaving a good view of Moine Mhor. I enjoyed the view for a bit before heading up into the mist.

braeriach-R1011521_680x480.jpg
Top of Braeriach

I practised my navigation at the top by walking to two subsidiary peaks and keeping to a bearing. I didn't guess the distance by counting footsteps or anything.

braeriach-R1011532_680x480.jpg
View from Cairn Toul

The walk back to Loch nan Stuirteag was pleasant, looking at mosses, lichens and flowers while listening to Desert Island Disc podcasts - The gardener Dan Pearson, Steve Coogan and Lily Allen.

feshie-R1011500_680x480.jpg
Common Milkwort

feshie-R1011503_680x480.jpg
Common Butterwort, not showing insect-digesting leaves below

braeriach-R1011537_680x480.jpg
Loch nan Stuirteag

Walking through Moine Mhor dispelled any fears I had and I could even see a couple of sheltered spots for potential wild camps. Would it be sheltered enough to withstand 90 mph winds that came through a few days after I left the area? I doubt it...fear can be a good thing!
Last edited by beech on Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beech
Scrambler

Re: Misty Mountain Top - Braeriach

Postby Border Reiver » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:39 am

Unless you've been off track, you'll have climbed Sgor an Lochain Uaine as well.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Re: Misty Mountain Top - Braeriach

Postby beech » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:02 pm

Thanks Border Reiver, I'll add it to the list of Munros. I had a little look down the ridge that can be scrambled from there and over towards the massive corries.
beech
Scrambler

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland