walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Strathconon Corbetts, Find the missing trig Point

Strathconon Corbetts, Find the missing trig Point

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:52 am

Route description: Sgùrr a' Mhuilinn and Meallan nan Uan, Strathconon

Corbetts included on this walk: Meallan nan Uan, Sgùrr a' Mhuilinn

Date walked: 06/08/2015

Time taken: 3.6 hours

Distance: 10.3 km

Ascent: 1067m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On route to the long awaited Charlies (Trekker33) Aultguish Meet I decided there was sufficient time to add these two previously unclimbed Corbetts to my ticked off list. After leaving Carnoustie in the rain it was a pleasant surprise to find some blue skies beyond Inverness. I had never been up Strathconon before so that in itself was a pleasant surprise and i was to find a good parking area just to the East of a tree plantation at Strathanmore on the North side of the glen road opposite a couple of houses. Starting off at 1245hours and heading along the fenceline of the tree plantation towards the ridge towards Creag Ruadh which I will reach in 1 1/2 hours

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.JPG
View of the hills from the far side of Strathanmore
2.JPG
Up the grassy slopes towards the Corbett top of Creag Ruadh, quite hard going, wet underneath the deep grass
3.JPG
Looking back down the Glen from the SE shoulder, to the parking area
4.JPG
The SE shoulder of Sgurr a' Mhuilinn where I was to descend from the SE shoulder of Creag Ruadh
5.JPG
Looking back twards Strathconon
6.JPG
Looking towards the summit of Meallan nan Uan from Creag Ruadh which was to take another half an hour to climb
7.JPG
Dry underfoot conditions although rocky in places, nice walking conditions
8.JPG
Looking back along the summit ridge where I had come
9.JPG
The top of Sgurr a' Mhuilinn from Meallan nan Uan
10.JPG
Looking back down the glen from the summit
11.JPG
Heading North West from the summit cairn
12.JPG
Loch Coire a'Mhuilinn from the bealach to the West between both Corbetts
13.JPG
The summit cairn of Sgurr a Mhuilinn or was it? see later
14.JPG
Having just arrived at the cairn 2hrs 40mins I looked back and found that I was about to be engulfed by low cloud coming in fast, so as the wind was getting up decided to head on down the SE shoulder to have a bite to eat. It was then I took out the OS Map and realised that on it was shown a trig point, and I never saw one at the cairn, could I have gone to a more Southerly top and missed the actual top with the trig point. I had to climb back and checkout the cairn again to see if I had missed the trig point somehow. After careful examination I thought I could see the remains of a mossed of stone cairn below the stones, by this time the summit had cleared and another three points looked every bit as high as the one I had visited, only one thing for it was to check them out, aftera fruitless search wasting about half an hour (not added to final walking time) I headed on past the original cairn back down the rocky and sometimes steep SE shoulder
15.JPG
Heading back to the cairn with what appeared to be higher summits beyond
16.JPG
Looking back to the SE shoulder of Sgurr a' Mhuilinn and about to experience a bit of a bogfest at the Allt an t-Strathain Mhoir
17.JPG
The final brow before descending back down to the car parking area
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Strathconon Corbetts, Find the missing trig Point

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:40 am

Nice to see a report on these two... Not hugely popular pair of Corbetts, but I'm sentimental about them. Been up there 3 times, the first time we had to retreat before even reaching the first summit due to torrential rain... The second time was in full-on winter conditions. Kevin forgot to put a tea bag in the flask, so we drank water on the top of Meallan :roll: It was so cold that we didn't care what sort of liquid it was, as long as it was hot :lol: Maybe this winter we'll visit them again!

BTW, you found the summit of Sgurr a Mhuilinn :D, the cairn is the very top (though in cloud it may not look like it). The trig point has fallen apart and whatever is left of it it is buried inside the summit cairn.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby PeteR » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:25 pm

Looks familiar Rod :D

Shame the cloud came down on the second summit though..................perhaps you should have included the tops. I'll eventually get round to posting a report and some photos on mine and Kaiserstein's trip on the Saturday. I must say, I wasn't sure what to expect with these two, but thought they gave a much better day than I'd perhaps expected. Definitely an under rated pair
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:04 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Nice to see a report on these two...
Not hugely popular pair of Corbetts, but I'm sentimental about them. Been up there 3 times, the first time we had to retreat before even reaching the first summit due to torrential rain.
.. The second time was in full-on winter conditions. Kevin forgot to put a tea bag in the flask, so we drank water on the top of Meallan :roll: It was so cold that we didn't care what sort of liquid it was, as long as it was hot :lol: Maybe this winter we'll visit them again!

BTW, you found the summit of Sgurr a Mhuilinn :D, the cairn is the very top (though in cloud it may not look like it). The trig point has fallen apart and whatever is left of it it is buried inside the summit cairn.

I enjoyed them, nice easy two together, not many of them :lol: Hard going on the return after coming off the second, very wet and undulating made for quite hard walking, nice to have a view for a change though :lol: :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:13 pm

PeteR wrote:Looks familiar Rod :D

Shame the cloud came down on the second summit though..................perhaps you should have included the tops. I'll eventually get round to posting a report and some photos on mine and Kaiserstein's trip on the Saturday. I must say, I wasn't sure what to expect with these two, but thought they gave a much better day than I'd perhaps expected. Definitely an under rated pair

Hi Pete, not a bad double, I was saving myself for the long weekend ahead :lol: look forward to seeing your report and photographs.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby mountain thyme » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:56 pm

Still think you should have included that half hour for faffing about looking for the trig !! :lol:
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:58 pm

mountain thyme wrote:Still think you should have included that half hour for faffing about looking for the trig !! :lol:

But that would be misleading to all my readers :lol: :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland