walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Big Hope - misty,wet walk up. Then views of Paradise! Video

Big Hope - misty,wet walk up. Then views of Paradise! Video

Postby Petr Dakota » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:57 pm

Route description: Gleouraich and Spidean Mialach

Munros included on this walk: Gleouraich, Spidean Mialach

Date walked: 11/08/2015

Time taken: 5.15 hours

Distance: 13.01 km

Ascent: 1180m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This trip was a little bit risky in this "Summer conditions if I wanted see some nice views. I watched the Weather Forecast every day before my oncoming days off work and more places in Scotland looked similar: some light rain - shower in the night before or even early morning on the tuesday 11.8.2015. Checked also Lake District, there is Helvellyn circle via the Striding Ridge in my list, the weather there looked much better...not any rain days before and sun with good visibility without wind expected for the tuesday...It would be sure a better condition for walking there, but I prefered something in Scotland for the day, because after the early morning's light rain-shower there is also some hope in good visibility...something so rare this year in the summer, so i wanted to use the day with a big hope even it's risky that no views possible in scottish mountains. I preffered that because the Helvellyn in Lake District I can still do later as there is higher chance to get a good weather more often and also driving time there is about 2.5 hours, still opportunity for later and use something more distanced now as the daylight is long enough for early start of walk, despite the fact I must get back home early afternoon during working week ( mon - fri ). Sometime it's not easy to plan a route, because of my limited time...I love the multi Munros days when i can do more Munros together in one route, to join some routes together in one...but it's really very rare when i can afford it - it's possible only on weekends for me, because between monday and friday i need be back at home between 16:00-16:30 and stay with my 3 years old daughter Cheyenne as my wife is working at evenings. I am always enjoying the time with Cheyenne, just I need be back home in the time...saturdays or sundays I am able to go for some long day trip, but it's very rare as i am working most of weekends and having days off during week :(
Also when planning a trip I dont want to complete all area somewhere, because of weather and the difference in the daylight in summer and in Winter. Keeping some Munros undone in every area to have chance of choice when the weather is different in every area. Trying to do some distanced trips during longer daylight in summer and keeping some shorter trips for shorter winter days...I want avoid the situation that everything near from home will be done and then because of the distance not chance to go somewhere else later if any limitation or winter time come :wink:
Looked at the WH I decided to risk it and try Gleouraich & Spidean Mialach. It looked good for me: Beautiful views from the tops, distanced - but still ok for the daylight in August and the weather forecast...not best, but atleast with hope as for next week is rain expectation again...so maybe the right time to do it now :wink: :) 8) :lol:
I woke up at 01:00 am and cecked the weather situation and forecast again for all areas...some dillema in my head, not so sure about it, but definitely decided for the trip to North with a big hope 8) Decided, prepared, looking forward !!! :D I started from home after 03:00 am ( early, but not so early as by the Forecast there can be still some light rain around 5:00-6:00 am ), headed to the North-West via Stirling, Perth, Dalwhinnie, Spean Bridge and Invergarry...

DSCF0197.JPG
Parked here at the small car park. Looking back on the road I arrived, it's narrow road with passing places - 23 km from the junction of A87...along Loch Garry ( Invergarry ) on the begining and Loch Quoich at the end. Wet...wet...wet... I started my walk shortly after 07:00 am.
:roll:
Walked back to the East on the road until I saw the small Cairn on the left ( after 400m ). The Cairn is very small, but very useful as the entrance onto the path is hidden in the bush :wink: Wet stones and some mud is the start, then outside of the bush nice path, but very wet and some mud in this "summer" conditions...at some boggy places need go in the grass to avoid any deep muddy steps :lol:
DSCF0204.JPG
Looking back towards Loch Quoich shortly after start...Drizzle in the morning, but the visibility not so bad... I expected improvement of the weather as everything was going by the weather forecast...atleast meantime...so not time to regret yet and keeping positive
:) :lol:
DSCF0212.JPG
Looking ahead, the clouds was moving quickly...The Hills in front sometime visible, sometime in the mist, but still plenty of time to get on the summit and then the visibility supose to be good as the hourly forecast said

Overcoming all the boggy places i started climb up to the first Munro - Spidean Mialach, but on half of the way up the weather got worse, totally fogy, cold wind and no visibility. I stoped and removed my jacket from my rucksack, hood over my head and continued the walk :crazy: :? :roll: The path disappeared in same stony places, but I kept the direction and joined the path many times again until I saw a shape of a peak. I walked straight there and I got the summit with a Cairn. To be sure I checked the position by GPS and surprisingly it was not the main summit yet ! :o Holding the GPS I turned right and disappeared in the mist walking along deep cliff ( on the left ), following a wee path until I reached the right summit of Spidean Mialach after 8 mins of walk :D
No views from the summit, a little disappointed as I was looking forward to see the beauty around these two Munros...the views to all directions around. I almost started regret the choice of this trip...some mountains you really need and wish the views and this area is really worthy for the right day with views, it's not just about adding another Munros to the collection and good feelings you are walking in fresh air, cleaning your thoughts and doing something for your health, it's also about the joy to see the beauty of Scotland about the touch and connection between the Nature, Heart and Soul !!! :? 8) :wink: After short time i spent there in hope that the weather will change, I started my walk along the edge towards the second Munro - Gleouraich because of my limited time for the trip...I just imagined all the missed views: North to South Glen Shiel Ridge and South to all the Mountains behind Loch Quoich. In my imaginations was also Helvellyn as I guessed there is sunny clear and drier day now with a lot of views... :? 8) :( 8) :roll: :) 8) :?

DSCF0237.JPG
The main Summit of Spidean Mialach...and the "views" around
:?
DSCF0243.JPG
Great positive moment - first sign of clearer views !!! Big hope again ! Watching the mist moving and wishing that it will stay clear
:D :clap:
DSCF0245.JPG
The South is clear now...North still misty...meantime
8) :D
DSCF0264.JPG
My way finally visible, Gleouraich is hidden behind the Creag Coire na Fiar Bhealaich opposite...some walk down and then up ! Happy moments now because of the visibility
:D 8) :D
DSCF0274.JPG
Loch Quoich with all the endless mountains around
DSCF0322.JPG
Looking back on the ridge to Spidean Mialach which is all visible now
DSCF0329.JPG
Loch Loyne in the background behind Spidean Mialach
DSCF0341.JPG
Loch Quoich and the heavy white clouds above...hope not again !
:shock: :? 8) :lol:
DSCF0345.JPG
Gleouraich in the front
DSCF0361.JPG
View towards North: The South Glen Shiel 7M Ridge - Eastern side...nice memories from my walk there one and half month ago
:D 8) :D
DSCF0363.JPG
The summit Cairn of Gleouraich on the top in the distance
DSCF0364.JPG
Looking back to Spidean Mialach over the Creag Coire na Fiar Bhealaich. The big gap - descent and ascent between them is not visible from this point
DSCF0367.JPG
The Summit of Gleouraich ! ...and great views all directions around
:D 8) :D :D

HERE YOU CAN ENJOY VIDEO: The views around from Gleouraich 8) :D :wink:

DSCF0378.JPG
Self timer made it - from Gleouraich
:lol:
DSCF0379.JPG
Looking back to Spidean Mialach, Loch Loyne in the distance and South Glen Shiel Ridge on the left
DSCF0385.JPG
I would spend a long time there and enjoy the beauty around, but started my walk down because of the limited time to get home early...Looking back to Gleouraich summit while descending
DSCF0388.JPG
The way down on the nice path via the ridge
DSCF0394.JPG
in the lower level
DSCF0404.JPG
One more view before the final descent over the edge

Behind the edge of this ridge I met Tony ( another member of WH ), he was walking up - started climb the Gleouraich first and then continue to Spidean Mialach. We greeted each other and spoke shortly...I was really surprised that he knew me immediatelly before we started talk :shock: :o :D He recognised me from the WH by my reports :D It was really nice moment... It was great to met you Tony, nice to see you there. Hope you had atleast a little better underfoot condition on the descent from Spidean Mialach than me when ascending there as the weather improved...if you are reading this :wink:
It's always great to meet someone in the mountains and talk atleast shortly, especially someone from the WH :D

DSCF0416.JPG
Final section of the descend down to Loch Quoich...nice trail there
DSCF0424.JPG
Back in the small carpark ( full now )...just after going through the bush
:D 8) :lol:
I got back to the car park shortly after 12:15, started my way back home at 12:30 and got home safely in time at 16:15...It was great day and I was full of great feelings and memories...also the satisfaction after the risky and almost regretting begining of the day :D These two Munros I really recommend to everyone who want see the beauty of Scotish Mountains in all directions around 8) :D Well...the weather is important factor for the trip :wink:
Last edited by Petr Dakota on Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Re: Big Hope - misty,wet walk up. Then views of Paradise! V

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:06 pm

Sometimes I guess it's worth taking a chance with the weather - turned out excellent in the end, with some great pics to show for it. :clap: :clap:

This and the next pair look brilliant from the Glen Shiel ridge, don't they!?!

I presume you chose this start point because you were thinking of MountainLove's exploits on the pink lilo...??? :lol:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby tony-c » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:45 pm

Hi Petr, we had clear views till just after we dropped of gleouraich from then on the mist was in and out till we got to fiar bhealach where it was very much in. :roll: we stopped for a bite to eat and waited it out a bit then it lifted for the walk up to spidean mialach with clear views at the top. The walk down wasn't great very wet and slippy just about all of the way down. just like you said it was. I hope we shook most of the rain water off the rhododendron bushes for your last bit till you reached the road. (It was quite overgrown and we got soaked pushing through them. :( But all in all a great day out and nice to meet you also petr. :clap:
tony-c
Mountain Walker

Munros:230   Corbetts:25
Fionas:6   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:129
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby jamesb63 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:52 pm

Another excellent report Petr :clap: :clap: :clap: I still have all the hills in this area to do
After looking at your pics and Video I am looking forward to doing these :D
I reached my 50th top today in just short of 14 weeks I am please with this :clap:
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Munros:218   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby spiderwebb » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:53 am

Nice report Petr, its a great walk this one, took two goes for the two for me, and the path up or down Gleouraich makes for an easy ascent.
I recall seeing the path up Spidean by the road, its a bit hidden but last I was there it had an old fallen down grey post marking the spot where you head through the bushes on what seems to be a stream bed rather than a path. :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby ancancha » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:14 pm

Nice report and photos, I've still to do any mountains in the North West, but have driven past a few times and they look great :clap:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:36 pm

Nice Hills Petr glad you got some views from the summits later on. :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Petr Dakota » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:06 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Sometimes I guess it's worth taking a chance with the weather - turned out excellent in the end, with some great pics to show for it. :clap: :clap:

This and the next pair look brilliant from the Glen Shiel ridge, don't they!?!

I presume you chose this start point because you were thinking of MountainLove's exploits on the pink lilo...??? :lol:

Thank you... :) they look brilliant I guess, but I did not see them from the South Glen Shiel ridge - the day I was there was very poor visibility :roll: :? :lol:
Too late for the pink lilo :lol: :lol:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:11 pm

tony-c wrote:Hi Petr, we had clear views till just after we dropped of gleouraich from then on the mist was in and out till we got to fiar bhealach where it was very much in. :roll: we stopped for a bite to eat and waited it out a bit then it lifted for the walk up to spidean mialach with clear views at the top. The walk down wasn't great very wet and slippy just about all of the way down. just like you said it was. I hope we shook most of the rain water off the rhododendron bushes for your last bit till you reached the road. (It was quite overgrown and we got soaked pushing through them. :( But all in all a great day out and nice to meet you also petr. :clap:

Hi Tony, glad that you got back down safely on the wet ground from Spidean Mialach. The bush was still wet, the short part there is like in jungle :roll: :lol:
Have a good time and maybe see you again some day in the mountains :wink:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:15 pm

jamesb63 wrote:Another excellent report Petr :clap: :clap: :clap: I still have all the hills in this area to do
After looking at your pics and Video I am looking forward to doing these :D
I reached my 50th top today in just short of 14 weeks I am please with this :clap:

Thank you James :D You will love the hills and especially the view from both summits 8) :wink:
Congratulations to your achievement, you ticked the 1st 50 very quickly ! :clap: :clap: :clap:
All the best, many good views and safe returns always from the mountains :D
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:24 pm

spiderwebb wrote:Nice report Petr, its a great walk this one, took two goes for the two for me, and the path up or down Gleouraich makes for an easy ascent.
I recall seeing the path up Spidean by the road, its a bit hidden but last I was there it had an old fallen down grey post marking the spot where you head through the bushes on what seems to be a stream bed rather than a path. :D

Thank you :)
You are right about the sign of the entry onto the path, for me it looked like a stream bed too, surrounded by heavy bush. The post still fallen down - photos attached: :? :lol: :crazy:
DSCF0199.JPG
The entry - start of the path to Spidean Mialach - 400m back on the road from the carpark
DSCF0426.JPG
...and the exit from the path ( easier to recognise ) just opposite of the carpark after descending Gleouraich
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:27 pm

ancancha wrote:Nice report and photos, I've still to do any mountains in the North West, but have driven past a few times and they look great :clap:

thank you :) You will like them, especially in good weather condition - visibility :wink:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:29 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Nice Hills Petr glad you got some views from the summits later on. :D

Thank you Rod :) I was really happy for the views after the unsure beginning... :roll: :D :D
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland