walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

WH Summer 2015 Meet – Beinn a’Bha’ach Ard

WH Summer 2015 Meet – Beinn a’Bha’ach Ard

Postby PeteR » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:52 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Bha'ach Àrd

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Bha'ach Ard

Date walked: 07/08/2015

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As readers to this forum might have gathered there was a walkhighlands meet recently :lol: Day 1 of the 2015 Summer meet at Aultguish was a bit of a slow start for me. I’d hoped for a better forecast than eventually presented with the night before. Had that been the case then Liathach was definitely on the cards. As it was that part of the world didn’t look too appealing, so I opted instead for the Strathfarrar Corbett Beinn a’Bha’ach Ard.

But not before a half hour stop in a layby on the A9 to compose and send a work email to a client first…….. :roll:

By the time I parked up at the cottage at Milton and got myself booted up it was nearly 11.00 a.m. Thankfully you can do this walk without the need of seeking the permission of the “Keeper of the Gate” :lol:

ImageP1200391 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr

ImageP1200393 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Beinn a'Bha'ach Ard from near the start of the route

It’s a good walk along the private road up to the power station at Culligran. I was wanting to take a photo of the tunnel entrance, just because it’s an impressive sight. There was a man in a florescent top wandering about the entrance though and I didn’t want him thinking I was a weirdo :lol: So my photo was a bit disguised by the trees :crazy:

ImageP1200398 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Culligran Power Station

From the power station it’s a case of taking the good landrover track that wends its way up through the trees. It certainly helps make good progress of this part of the climb, up to the modern looking building where I assume the small dam is.

ImageP1200400 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
The initial well worn landrover track

I’d understood from this point it would be a boggy, heather clad tramp up to nearby the summit. As it happens though a nice ugly looking hill track has been created which, while not the most aesthetically pleasing addition to the hillside, does make for a speedier progress upward than I would have experienced had I been traipsing over heather (be under no illusion though, boggy, clumpy, heather clad traipsing will feature on this hill soon enough :shock:).

ImageP1200407 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
The less attractive new track - speedy progress nonetheless

ImageP1200409 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Pano looking back

Just before the ugly hill track terminates, close to the Allt Doire Bhuig, the time comes to take to the hillside……………..let the bog trotting begin :lol: I was (loosely) following what could be described as an ATV track. Boggy in very many places, often non-existence in many other places. I was probably making better progress than I thought, but in truth this stage of the walk wasn’t the most fun I’ve ever had. Got to say that this approach doesn’t necessarily show the Corbett in its best light and it certainly seemed reluctant, appearing as a very minor, uninspiring mound ahead of me.

ImageP1200412 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
The start of the bog trotting

ImageP1200416 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
The reluctant Corbett

Thankfully the views in all other directions were making up for that though, improving as height was gained :D

ImageP1200419 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr

ImageP1200436 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr

I was aiming for the saddle between Beinn a’Bha’ach Ard and Creag a’Gharbh-Choire where I was hoping for better ground to aide my final climb to the Corbett summit. Thankfully I wasn’t to be disappointed. The tough ground was replaced by short, spongy grass, with the odd bit of rock as well. All in all an easy final climb to the top and the cairned shelter :D

ImageP1200438 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr

ImageP1200440 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr

ImageP1200442 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
The final climb to the summit

ImageP1200446 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Summit cairn

From the summit there were good views of the Cromarty and Moray Firths as well as the route ahead across Sgurr a’Phollain and Carn na Gabhalach. I’d have hung around a bit longer, but the earlier warm sunshine had been replaced with a stubborn layer of cloud and a chilly wind.

ImageP1200449 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Strathconon and beyond

ImageP1200451 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
The route ahead

So I was soon heading ahead to complete the circuit. Great views as before.

ImageP1200458 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
View back to the summit from the route down

ImageP1200460 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Mountain water feature

ImageP1200474 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr

Even had a nice shot of what was to be my Saturday hills – the Strathconon Corbetts of Meallan nan Uan and Sgurr a’Mhuilinn.

ImageP1200477 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Meallan nan Uan and Sgurr a’Mhuilinn

Unfortunately the views toward Ben Wyvis and Little Wyvis across the Orrin Reservoir were sadly ruined by a hideous wind farm :( Wind farms to one side the going was now much better, with a reasonable excuse of a path to follow along the top.

ImageP1200490 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr

ImageP1200493 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr

ImageP1200506 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr

ImageP1200529 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr

ImageP1200532 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr

ImageP1200537 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Nice view back along the ridge I'd walked

The descent off Carn na Gabhalach unfortunately heralded a return to rough, tough walking. OS maps suggest a good path to be followed, but the reality is something very different. Sometimes there was a path, but mostly it was just tufty heather, pretty much down to Loch na Beiste.

Had a slight mishap on the route down when I stepped on what I thought was heather, only to it disguised a nasty hole with a vicious rock in it. Thankfully all I suffered was a bit of a scrape down the shin rather than anything worse :shock:

ImageP1200544 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Beinn a'Bha'ach Ard

ImageP1200550 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr

Loch na Beiste is a cracking spot, giving great views back to the Corbett – showing it at its best for sure. The remainder of the walk back to the car was less cracking. Route descriptions I’d seen suggested the path was better than what I’d suffered so far on the way down, but I would beg to differ. May be it was my route finding, but there were still some charming boggy bits to navigate.

ImageP1200552 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Loch na Beiste

ImageP1200554 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Almost back at the car

Soon enough though I was back at the car at Milton Cottage and then heading to Aultguish for the meet for the obligatory beer or two and good conversation :D :D

So that's one report down, just two more to do :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland