walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tinto HIll

Tinto HIll

Postby dickens96 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:54 am

Route description: Tinto from the north

Fionas included on this walk: Tinto

Donalds included on this walk: Tinto

Date walked: 14/08/2015

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 717m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Originally was planning to do Dollar Law, but needed to be back home sharp for an evening meeting so went to Tinto Hill instead. Super day for walking too, and a good stretch of the legs. Arrived quite early with just a few cars in the car park, but when I got back down again around lunchtime it was full, and on the way down passed by many people going up - hate to think what it must be like at the weekends.

Tinto1.jpg
The start - and a view of the finish!

Good well-worn path all the way - fairly steep in places too.

Tinto2.jpg

The views from the top are great - the cairn is huge! Added my stone too.

Tinto3.jpg

Tinto5.jpg

Tinto7.jpg

The cairn
Tinto4.jpg

Tinto6.jpg

I am so glad I did my MCS mountain navigation course - I would never have found my way back down otherwise :lol:
Tinto8.jpg

Pleased to do it in a reasonable time too - 1.28 hrs up, which given my lack of fitness so far this summer (as my aborted attempt a week or to ago at White Coomb proved) was not bad. Mind you the runner passed me twice on my way down - once on his way up, the other coming back!
dickens96
Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:2
Fionas:4   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:15   
Islands:5

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland