walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creag Mhor from Glenmore Lodge

Creag Mhor from Glenmore Lodge

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:12 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Creag Mhor

Date walked: 16/08/2015

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 25.4 km

Ascent: 981m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I've had my eye on this hill for a while, a decent walk in, a part of the Cairngorms I love, and a great viewpoint, all I needed was the weather and today was the day.

I set off from Glenmore Lodge just after 8am and all I could hear was the constant sound of a helicopter overhead.

1.jpg
Hopefully a training exercise

The midgies were out in force so I didn't hang about walking through the trees past Lochan Uaine and on to my right turn (signed Braemar) short of Ryvoan Bothy.

2.jpg
Ryvoan Bothy

The track is now a bit wetter and stonier but still easy going and it didn't take long to reach the bridge over the River Nethy.

3.jpg
MRT heading towards me

4.jpg
MRT with Meall a' Bhuachaille in the background

5.jpg
River Nethy

6.jpg
Bridge over River Nethy

Once over the bridge there is a really good path all the way up to the point where the Bynack More path heads off to the right.

7.jpg
No cloud cover at all at this stage

8.jpg
Climbing towards Bynack More

9.jpg
Left to Fords of Avon, right to Bynack More

10.jpg
Bynack More

Once past the turn off for Bynack More I'm on new territory, I've been to the Fords of Avon before but never from the north. The path stays close to Bynack More, initially losing a bit of height before dropping in to a short damp section and then climbing again on a drier part of the path.

At this point Creag Mhor can be seen but just the tor on the top and there doesn't seem to be any sort of climb (there is, but not much).

As the path gets closer to Creag Mhor it loses height again and crosses a burn and it's now time to choose a point to leave it behind and start the final climb up to the summit. It turned out to only be a 15 minute walk from the path to the top of Creag Mhor. The first ten minutes were on damp heather/grass (with a few frogs for company)and the last 5 minutes was on short dry heather on an easy gradient.

11.jpg
Creag Mhor is the right hand tor

12.jpg
Looking towards the Fords of Avon

13.jpg
Looking up to the summit of Creag Mhor from the path

14.jpg
Tors on Bynack More

15.jpg
Looking back to the path

16.jpg
Beinn Mheadhoin

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

I spent about 15 minutes at the top, the views were great but there was now a bit of cloud cover around. The walk back down to the path was straight forward, just took my time a little bit to make sure I stayed upright on the wetter bits.

Back on the path I decided to retrace my steps - I had initially thought I might go up Bynack More but my excuse for skipping it was that I had seen the best of the day and the clouds continued to gather (never really any threat of rain).

20.jpg
The last real climb of the day heading back towards the Bynack More turn off

21.jpg
The view of Bynack More again

The drop down towards the River Nethy was quick on the good path and just a really comfortable descent.

22.jpg

23.jpg

There are now a few people about and once back on the main Ryvoan path it's positively crowded.

Why do people walk four abreast taking up the entire path then expect a single walker to get off the track while they slowly pass :evil: After giving way a couple of times I got a bit fed up so stuck to the side of the track, picked up pace, kept my head down and just waited for others to get out of my way - a bit anti social I know but this can get on my nerves on busy paths.

Anyway, a really enjoyable day, especially in the early morning sunshine when the views were just brilliant.
Gordie12
Walker

Munros:112   Corbetts:62
Grahams:17   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:24   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland