walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fifescar Knowe and Dollar Law by the Cramalt Valley

Fifescar Knowe and Dollar Law by the Cramalt Valley

Postby dickens96 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:14 pm

Donalds included on this walk: Dollar Law

Date walked: 17/08/2015

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10.1 km

Ascent: 817m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Decided to spend my birthday on the hills, and what a superb day it was - glorious weather and so calm and peaceful. 4 hours of pure mindfulness - only saw one other person (in the distance) all day - and could have done it quicker but often stopped to listen to the Cramalt Burn and the silence.

Took the route up through the Cramalt Valley from Megget Reservoir. There's space for a couple of cars on the verge at the Cramalt Inlet bend on the Talla single-track road. You go through a gate and follow the track as it climbs gradually through the valley.

Dollar law 1.jpg

DL2.jpg
Looking back down the track

The only sound was the Cramalt Burn burbling away

DL3.jpg
Cramalt Burn

The track continues to climb gently. On my OS map it is shown as stopping just below and west of Notman Law, but on the ground it seems to have been extended (not sure why) and it now goes to the top of the ridge. I followed the track but soon realised it was turning West to pass below Fifescar Knowe, so I plotted a course to the fence line that runs between Fifescar Knowe and Dollar Law across boggy ground.

DL5.jpg
The new hill track - more ugly than the old one. What's it for?

DL6.jpg
Looking South down the valley

The path is much clearer on the ridge, and Fifescar Knowe (811 mtrs) and Dollar Law (817 mtrs) were easily and quickly reached over boggy ground.

DL7.jpg
The path up to Dollar Law from the Thief's Road

DL8.jpg
Dollar Law top

I hung about the top for a while - the visibility was superb at least 50 miles in all directions. I still can't get my head round the arcane rules on Scottish mountain names. Dollar Law at 817mtrs is only a few metres short of nearby Broad Law, but the latter is a Corbett but Dollar Law isn't. It seems to be variously called a Donald or a "Corbett Top" whatever that is!

DL9.jpg

DL10.jpg

DL11.jpg

DL12.jpg

I had hoped to find the wreckage of the de Haviland Rapide that crashed up there in 1949 - there are still bits of it there - but I didnt have a grid reference for it so did not know which way to search. Heading back down from Dollar law, I branched off onto the Thief's Road (why is it called that?) that bypasses Fifescar Knowe. When it reaches the fence line you can cut South West down to the hill track that you came up on. This then returns the same way via a gentle stroll down.

DL14.jpg
Back!

All in all a superb walk and a great way to spend time contemplating my 65 years on Earth today!!
dickens96
Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:2
Fionas:4   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:15   
Islands:5

Re: Fifescar Knowe and Dollar Law by the Cramalt Valley

Postby rob munbett » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:05 am

Thanks for posting this helpful report with good pics. I'm thinking of doing this route soon with the addition of Cramalt Craig and Greenside Law. Hope I have as good a day as you.
rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland