walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Caisteal and Stobh Dubh with the kids

An Caisteal and Stobh Dubh with the kids

Postby matt_outandabout » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:22 pm

Route description: An Caisteal and Beinn a'Chròin, near Crianlarich

Munros included on this walk: An Caisteal, Beinn a' Chròin

Date walked: 15/08/2015

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 14 km

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I haven't posted on here before, but thought I would share now as our lads stretch their legs. We are a family that paddle, bike and walk - and I have worked for many years in outdoor centres.

We had a late start - try rousing and organising three of your own and anther bonus lad at the end of the summer holidays... So we started at 11am. :? This was deliberately a 'bigger' 'rougher' day than some of our previous munro's, just to see how the lads took to it. This was the first Munro for our friends lad who came with us, for ours it was one of many a hill...

Already we knew the forecast was sun with showers, but the wind was due to be low, and it was too good a chance to miss. As we set off from Derrydaroch farm (lots of parking in layby on opposite side of the road), and headed up the rather useful new tracks for the hydro schemes that are going in. Taking the north track, we got to the penstock in double quick time and crossed the stream.
ImageAn Caisteal by Matt Robinson, on Flickr
Our route for the day:

Now the hour+ of hard work began, as we crossed bog and then steep, rough hill to get up to the top of Twistin Hill 'quickly', although not without effort.

First lunch (no-one has only one lunch, do they?) was in the shelter of these rocks as the rain and wind kept barrelling through.

Soon the top of Twistin hill, and a nice path to ease sore muscles...

I took the decision that we should all don waterproofs, as I could see the next 'shower' may be something a bit more, and the wind was blustering around, so while we had a second 'lunch' in some shelter, we waterproofed up. Great views back down.

A couple of lovely scrambly bits for the lads to find a way through near top of Twistin hill

At this point, the rain really did kick in. :crazy: It was August, and yet in the windchill felt near freezing...

A hop and a skip and we were at the top of An Casteal, in sideways rain.

Again, the executive decision was made by me to bail out of Beinn a'Chroin, it would wait another day with more time and less wet...

The ridge down to Stob Glas is a real rough, fun place to find your way around. Although hard work, the lads enjoyed the short scrambles, awkward route finding and airy views.

The youngest one was flagging a bit, and had been feeling the cold. A cuddle from mum sorted him :)

Soon the summit and a cracking view came into sight, as well as an abatement in the showers and wind...

All that was left was a trundle down some more steep hill and bog, back to the hydro path.

A cracking day out, showing me the lads are capable of pretty much any Munro this autumn and next year. We have plans....
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:30

Re: An Caisteal and Stobh Dubh with the kids

Postby Petr Dakota » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:29 pm

Well done with the Kids :clap: :clap: :clap:
Nice to see you are walked - all family :clap: :D ...a sporty Family 8) :clap:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland