walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Knoydart Day 2, Ladhar Bheinn

Knoydart Day 2, Ladhar Bheinn

Postby spiderwebb » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:49 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ladhar Bheinn

Date walked: 16/08/2015

Time taken: 5 hours

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After the 10 hour day we had had on Saturday, and an early night I awoke early, refreshed and away for Ladhar Bheinn before 0700. Donny was to rest up from walking today and having already been up Ladhar would be exploring the lochs by boat :D

So a single mountain today, unlike me :lol: My route would take me directly up the path behind our camp spot, into what I can best describe as a hidden valley Coire Dhorrcial, and then strike up the steep slopes of Druim a Choire Odhair, and along the ridge to Ladhar’s eastern top, and summit.

The path starts off weaving its way up through the high bracken, at least this time of year, but the ascent is easy enough on the legs.

Looking back at our camp at the start of the ascent, what a spot :D

WH1.jpg

That passed fairly quickly hence the smile, and the path then levels out as it turns a corner into the corrie. Sgritheall across Loch Hourn.

WH2.jpg

The coire is impressive with huge cliffs at its head and the sharp prow on the left an alternative ascent or descent route, next time maybe.

WH3.jpg

The level path and the easy going ends all too quickly and the path expires where it crosses the burn, with the huge corrie headwall even closer.

WH4.jpg

I took a line of ascent direct, in hindsight it may have been better to veer to the right to aim for a lower point on the ridge, but the height would need to be gained at some point anyway, so I headed up the steep slopes. Views opened up to compensate, looking back to Barrisdale, now in the glorious morning sun and the upper section of Loch Hourn, stunning :D

WH5.jpg

With much relief I gained the ridge took refreshment and gazed across to Arnisdale and Sgritheall, ever present.

WH6.jpg

But there was still work to do, Stob a Choire Odhair loomed large ahead especially after the previous ascent :?

WH7.jpg

Level with the top of the coire headwall, progress was at least seen, if not felt on weary legs. But perseverance pays off, effort reaps rewards :wink:

WH8.jpg

Looking back into Loch Hourn I saw what was later confirmed as Donny making his way up the upper reaches of the loch.

WH9.jpg

The climb was steep and exposed in sections, not a place to take a fall for sure, but a look back and my path along the ridge now clear. I decided that on return I would head further along this to gain a less steep descent.

WH10.jpg

Still not there but Ladhar summit ridge beginning to show itself, through the clag.

WH11.jpg

View back to Stob a Choire Odhair, no bypass for this one

WH12.jpg

The last climb gained the summit ridge at Ladhars eastern top with the clag boiling up from Coire Gorm. I was on top of Knoydarts crowning glory :D

WH13.jpg

I strolled along the ridge over the summit and onto the Trig, looking back along this fine mountain, thoughts came and went :?

WH14.jpg

Summit to Trig

WH15.jpg

A gorgeous day developed down below, lifting the spirits and providing memorable views to add to those from the day before. I was in my element, this I could understand, made sense :D

WH16.jpg

WH17.jpg

Emotions run high as the hills, in places such as these but down I must go, carefully weaving my way down the exposed ridge, although not overly so. But a joy to revel in, such a remote place.

WH18.jpg

The descent although reduced in steepness by continuing further along the track was tiring, but the pace quickened along the level path back out of the hidden valley and descent through the bracken back to Barrisdale.

We had arranged that Donny would pack away his gear and tent and would keep an eye out for me on return. The walk had taken me a little over 5 hours. My tent just visible on its own now, on the last grass behind the ‘pond’, centre right.
Now the trouble with boats is they need erm…water and there wasn’t a whole lot of it left in Barrisdale on my return :o

WH19.jpg

So I must be smiling at the two wonderful days enjoyed in this stunning place, with Donny…..where are you Donny :D

WH20.jpg

I fired up the old Trangia for a cuppa soup whilst I packed away my gear and in the distance Donny appeared plus boat, cripes ! No high tide for the journey out :shock:

WH21.jpg

So after a wee stroll across the shore, it was time to change footwear for a wee paddle, the feet were pleased, after 5 hours in the boots, luvly :D

WH22.jpg

All aboard and we were off, with a last look back to Barrisdale Bay, the perfect spot for a weekends walk in Knoydart, a magical place, worthy of further exploration that's for sure :D

WH23.jpg
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Re: Knoydart Day 2, Ladhar Bheinn

Postby Sunny Speyside » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:26 pm

Ladhar Bheinn...'Crowning Glory' indeed.
Smashing report, what a fine weekend you had.
Cheers
Sunny Speyside
Stravaiging

Munros:253   Corbetts:62
Fionas:34   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:17   

Postby ancancha » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:48 pm

Nice photos and report :clap:
It all looks very green :!:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:48 pm

Truly fabulous looking place. Some great pix there. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Must - really must - get there.

Maybe this year.

But not by boat.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby spiderwebb » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:49 am

Sunny Speyside wrote:Ladhar Bheinn...'Crowning Glory' indeed.
Smashing report, what a fine weekend you had.
Cheers

certainly was a great weekend :D

ancancha wrote:Nice photos and report :clap:
It all looks very green :!:

It was a bit lush, the bracken on the ascent made it a wee bit tricky to see where the feet were going :lol:

Alteknacker wrote:Truly fabulous looking place. Some great pix there. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Must - really must - get there.

Without a boat I'd still aim for Barrisdale, beautiful spot. But yes get there, 'this will be the year', say to yourself :D
Maybe this year.

But not by boat.
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby DonnyW » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:14 am

Nice to see what you saw going up the ridge Dave. Here are some photos of the things I saw going up the Loch.

I must have been easy to spot from the hills..I left a silver trail behind the boat as I made my way to Kinloch Hourn

I stopped a couple of times to photograph several of Loch Hourn’s fishy inhabitants. All went back safe n sound..but if I had found a sea trout..it would have been kept...yum

Often the wind dropped to nothing and the loch turned to a mirror

I tried to see if I could see you clambering round the mighty Ladhar Bheinn ridge..but you must have been pretty small up there.

I then headed out to see the sea ..following a pod of porpoise

And had lunch on a deserted shore at the very mouth of Loch Hourn

Yup..it was a fantastic two days for both of us.. and the weather held nicely too. As mentioned earlier..it was great meeting you. Now get those remaining Munro's done :clap:
DonnyW

Postby Beaner001 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:21 am

Fantastic stuff dave! really is beautiful land there :clap:
Eric and I got great views of Knoydarts crown yesterday from the SGR and he also pointed out his route and what he thought you'd done, truly immense place, thanks for sharing :clap: :clap: :D
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby spiderwebb » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:00 pm

Cheers Donny, yes I reckon I did see your trail up the loch, easy from my direction :lol: That's some fish, I'm no expert but first glance looked like a cod ?

The porpoise pod wow, love seeing those creatures, wonderful to watch. I think I may be looking for another boat now :D But yes it was fantastic weekend, great meeting you, we'll have to do something similar again :D

Beaner001 wrote:Fantastic stuff dave! really is beautiful land there :clap:
Eric and I got great views of Knoydarts crown yesterday from the SGR and he also pointed out his route and what he thought you'd done, truly immense place, thanks for sharing :clap: :clap: :D

Cheers Matt, it is indeed a marvellous location, get there soon but be sure to let me know too :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby malky_c » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:49 pm

Nice one :D . The remotest hills often give the best memories. Even more so with an unconventional approach.

Heading over to Inverie this weekend. I know it isn't the most spectacular direction to approach Ladhar Bheinn from but if the weather is good I will be hoping for a revisit :)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland