walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cruachan Ridge

Cruachan Ridge

Postby quagga64 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:22 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Cruachan, Stob Daimh

Date walked: 13/08/2015

Time taken: 8.45 hours

Distance: 14 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

left just before 6 and drove up to Falls of Cruachan train station and began the walk at 7:50. Weather forecast was for a bright sunny day so especially this year it was an opportunity not to be missed. this was a walk attempted by me and Christopher in April 2012 and on that occasion we got soaked to the skin and lost in the thick mist which resulted in us having to make a 3 mile walk along the roadside through the Pass of Brander back to the car absolutely frozen and to boot we abandoned the walk after summiting Ben Cruachan only and didnt even attempt the horseshoe, so this was a chance to set the record straight. The walk begins with a steep climb up through forest and then reaches a service road which takes you up to Cruachan Dam, then alongside the reservoir before cutting off and up into Coire Dearg following a stream, at the end of the corrie the path climbs steeply up onto the bealach where there is a tiny puddle more than a lochan. It was warm and dry but the views were hazy and the top of Ben Cruachan itself was capped in mist. A final climb up to the summit of Ben Cruachan arriving at 10:40, 3 hours and 50 minutes after setting off. Mist was coming and going but managed to get some decent photos of the neighbouring top to the West Taynuilt Peak and along the length of the ridge, all of which was invisible to Chris and I on our last visit. Sat at the top for an hour during which time a young guy from Dreghorn near Kilmarnock came up behind me and we sat and bleathered, he,d just started doing the munros this year with the intention of bagging them all and was on 20 odd so far, two other guys came up as well while we were there and as the sun finally began to break through I was looking forward to the ridgewalk ahead to bag the second munro of Stob Diamh which had eluded us the last time. the walk along the ridge was fairly easy and very enjoyable, met one couple coming the opposite way and the views got better as the day went on with the mist dispersing even from ben Cruachans summit. Took in the top of Drochaid Ghlas before arriving at the summit of Stob Diamh at 1:20 an hour and 40 minutes from leaving Ben Cruachan. Views from here were great also, South down to the Cruachan Reservoir and Dam with Loch Awe snaking away Southwards, back along the ridge I,d just walked along and the neighbouring munros of Ben a'Chochuill and Beinn Eunaich which I climbed in 2013. From here it was Southwards along the ridge to the next summit of Stob Garbh and then down a broad ridge to the bealach and steeply down on grass to the Reservoir edge where I crossed on the dam to regain my outward route and back down the steep wooded hillside to the car arriving at 4:35 so 8 hours and 45 minutes completing the walk with some long stops in between. As it was still early and weather was good stopped off at Kilchurn Castle on the banks of Loch Awe and spent some time exploring the substantial ruins and watching and trying to photograph some Black Throated Divers which were catching Eels out on the loch, the first time I have ever seen these birds and it was an added treat.
Attachments
rsz_1088_westwards_along_the_ridge_to_drochaid_ghlas_then_ben_cruachan_with_taynuilt_peak_in_the_distance.jpg
Westwards along the ridge to Drochaid Ghlas then Ben Cruachan with Taynuilt Peak in the distance
quagga64

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland