walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a'Bhuird North Top

Beinn a'Bhuird North Top

Postby ancancha » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:27 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Bhùird

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Bhùird

Date walked: 19/08/2015

Time taken: 6.16 hours

Distance: 31.5 km

Ascent: 1118m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beinn a' Bhùird.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Needing the exercise and with the forecast for the west not great I decided to pick off another Cairngorm peak. To be honest the forecast later on for the Cairngorms wasn't great either and as per usual I am setting off late :roll:
Got to the car park and assembled my mobility allowance; this would be another bike hike and I was quite interested to see how far up Beinn a' Bhuird I could take the bike :?:

I would be taking in the Quoich loop as suggested by WH, so over the bridge

The water under the bridge at Linn of Quoich after the torrential rain the day before looked quite deep and fast flowing, so an instant return for the water moccasins. BP & Cos recent report had said little water in the crossing further on, but that was then, this is now as the song goes.

Managed to overshoot the turn off, but quickly turned round and was on a good track in

To be honest is was a bit bland at this stage; just chugging along the winding track

although there were a couple of small streams to cross and the contrast of of purple heather and bright green grass and ground foliage is striking, sadly the camera didn't do it enough justice to post a photo.

There are some mountain views to the south

but generally the points of interest are the old pine trees

until I rounded Carn Elrig Beag and the Cairngorms start to reveal themselves, Carn Allt na Beinne straight ahead with the white of Dubh Ghleann, the water that needed crossing on the way back

You can also see what I am hoping would be a better track on the way back. The track I am on is getting increasingly boggy; there was a lot of rain yesterday and the ruts make cycling a bit of a mission in places as well, but generally I am making good progress.
A view north east before the turnback at Quoich fords

At this point I had a debate with the sat nav about where this path actually led and where Beinn a'Bhuird was :?: before carrying on past the Twisted Tree 8)

Larger image on Flickr

Met the only walker I saw all day very shortly before the fords and he explained where the path led and generally about his day. He had come up on the track on the other side of Glen Quoich, then up the track which is to the side of Carn Allt na Beinne to Beinn a'Bhuird and then on to Ben Avon and back down to here somehow; a long walk :!:
He had a big smile on his face and enthused about the views :D

Down at the fords the river is too deep for straight across, although if you wanted to expend the energy there are plenty of boulders around which you could use to build a causeway

I managed across via the fallen, perhaps placed tree centre right just below the big pine. Even though, the bike was placed in the water, jamed against the fallen tree and I actually used the frame as a stepping platform as well. Got to the other side and hauled the bike out.
There were a few other water features to negotiate and I cycled through a very deep puddle in one of the track ruts. If you were walking you could easily skirt round them.

It's a very typically Cairngorms area with the white round boulders in the rivers and the pine trees.

Got to the junction of the Quoich and Dubh Ghleann

which I would have to negotiate on the way back :roll: and up the track

On getting to the trees there was a flock of very small birds chirping away and flying from tree to tree, Gold Crests possibly :?: I really couldn't tell, they were very small and I never got anywhere near getting a photo.

Wired up the bike at the start of the path and hid it in the heather, got the poles out and onwards an upwards through the short section of pines

Turns out that after a short distance, perhaps a hundred metres the path becomes flatter and better laid, gravel, and so pushing the bike up and rolling back down would be feasible more or less from the top of where the bulldozed track used to end at the top of the Allt na Beinne, though it would be tough going pushing it up mostly and you would need to be pretty skillful to ride all the way back down.

It's pretty apparent now where the path leads and where Beinn a'Bhuird is

The Allt a' Choire Ghuirm is an impressively steep stream as is the Allt na Beinne

Got to the shelter at the turn up the ridge and some last views

Looking back

before I was in the clag :(

I put on the waterproof jacket; it was warm and up until now I'd only had a tee shirt, interestingly I also put the phone / satnav in it's waterproof bag :?: a bit ominous :!: another ten minutes and it was persistent light rain.

So it was straight to the summit, luckily there is a well defined path most of the way and I can see the edge of the cliffs I was skirting along. In the winter these would more than likely have cornices and great care would be needed in poor visibiliity.

The summit and it is touch and go, or photo and return

The wind was blowing as it said it would in the forecast and I dropped a little low going with the breeze as it were. In this visibility I made sure to get back on the path asap. Now I wanted to get to the bike and across the river while there was still some light.

Got back to the bike and replaced the batteries in the head torch; what a difference :shock: very bright :!:
Managed the crossing without having to take my boots and socks off and don the water moccasins :) but I'd crossed slightly early and had a few smaller steams and high heather to negotiate before getting on the track.

As I suspected the track is better this side and I am making great progress in the total darkness until :shock: no track :!: The river had washed out and there was a bypass path for a hundred metres or so before rejoining the track. I'd have taken photos, but it was pitch dark by this time.

Back to the car another Munro in the clag, sais la vie :(

Check out BP & Co's report for the views and photos I was hoping for from the summit plateau.
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Re: Beinn a'Bhuird North Top

Postby basscadet » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:20 pm

brilliant, really enjoyed :) Glen Quoich is so beautiful, and not as well tramped as it should be.. Shame about the clag too, but it is the gorms :roll: I dont think I have ever had a bonny day there, despite it usually having better weather than many other mountainous parts!
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby ancancha » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:24 pm

basscadet wrote:brilliant, really enjoyed :) Glen Quoich is so beautiful, and not as well tramped as it should be.. Shame about the clag too, but it is the gorms :roll: I dont think I have ever had a bonny day there, despite it usually having better weather than many other mountainous parts!

Cheers basscadet, I'm not having a lot of luck with my excursions to the Cairngorms from the Dee :(
As you say it's a very beautiful place, kinda reminded me of the other side and the track which goes past An Lochan Uaine.
Gonna try and do Bynack More from the An Lochan Uaine track, another biker hike; will be watching the forecasts closely :roll:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Postby dav2930 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:22 pm

Great report and pics Ancancha. Shame about the clag and rain on top but that's a nice bike-hike to do with the heather in bloom! :)
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby ancancha » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:31 pm

dav2930 wrote:Great report and pics Ancancha. Shame about the clag and rain on top but that's a nice bike-hike to do with the heather in bloom! :)

Cheers dav, the colours in the area when the sun was out early on were striking 8)
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Postby litljortindan » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Pity about the cloud but useful route info. Haven't got a bike just now but in my mind for the future.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby ancancha » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:02 am

litljortindan wrote:Pity about the cloud but useful route info. Haven't got a bike just now but in my mind for the future.

If you are fit and reasonably competent then biking / pushing up to the shelter cairn at the turn up the ridge is definitely doable, and likewise rolling down most of the way back from there.
If you are very fit, then you could probably cycle most of the way up to the shelter cairn and some of the track beyond, though some parts are steep, more or less to the summit :!: and likewise feather the brakes back down the whole way from the summit.
Enjoy 8)
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland