walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cir Mhor, at last

Cir Mhor, at last

Postby tomyboy73 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:18 pm

Route description: Cìr Mhòr and Beinn Tarsuinn

Corbetts included on this walk: Cìr Mhòr

Date walked: 22/07/2015

Time taken: 4.4 hours

Distance: 11.6 km

Ascent: 1058m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I had a couple of days of my holiday left and had to get a mountain day in. I`d hankered after Cir Mhor for a couple of years now and today was to be the day. I`ve nearly climbed it 3 times so it was my priority to get it done . I packed my bag and jumped on my bike and headed for the train station....an hour late. Wanted to get the first boat over but mixed up my times so had to settle for the second one. Another fine Calmac breakfast to fill me up and take up some time on the journey over. The Ferry was packed and as a cyclist I had to wait till all the cars were off before I could get onto my favourite island. We should be first, not have to put up with all that carbon monoxide :lol:
It was a decent day on Arran, compared to the grey skies over Glasgow when I left.
boat pic.jpg
obligatory boat pic

I rode into Glen Rosa and hid my bike in the ferns at the bottom of the Garbh Allt (waterfall) , just before the bridge. I then headed up the path alongside it, which is the start of the Three Beinns route.
cir mhor 009wh.jpg
glen rosa

The view up Glen Rosa from here towards Cir mhor , The saddle and The Witches Step, between Goat Fell and Beinn a'Chliabhain is stunning.
I only had shorts on and decided to stop to put my gaiters on as it was quite thick vegetation along the path. A quick check before I did found a tiny little tick on my knee, luckily it was still trying to negotiate the hairs on my leg and hadn`t burrowed into my skin yet.
I was going to take the Three Beinns route over Beinn Nuis And Beinn Tarsuinn but decided to go straight over the smaller Beinn a'Chliabhain instead. I was hoping to see some real wildlife like a golden eagle or an adder and even left the path to cross the many boulders strewn around in the hope of finding a snake. But the only thing I saw was a beautiful little damsel fly.
cir mhor 033wh.jpg
damsel fly

As i stood and watched it , it flew upon to my hand, as if to say, "Here, have a better look" or maybe it wanted to share it`s meal with me, it was munching on a little fly !
I carried on up to the cairn at Croc Breac taking in the wonderful scenery around me.
cir mhor 048wh.jpg
Beinn Nuis

cir mhor 052wh.jpg
looking back to Holy Isle

I`m totally fascinated with the rock formations up here. everywhere you look you are making out shapes in the rocks.
cir mhor 059wh.jpg
Old man of Tarsuinn

cir mhor 060wh.jpg
This one reminds me of a guy in work

I was soon at the summit of Beinn a'Chliabhain which is amazing. all exposed granite(?) rocks all piled on top of each other and is an amazing viewpoint. But the sky was getting a little greyer and I carried along towards the junction of the paths from here to the one coming off Beinn Tarsuinn and then behind The Pagoda Ridge, I stopped for a bit to look at the Pagoda Ridge. It looked daunting at first then , magically, doable after a couple of minutes staring at it. Another time I thought and got back up on my way. As i climbed down beind the ridge i looked up and realised i was in no way equipped to do it. Very steep sides to it and a bit of a knife edge. So I was happy to be on the bypass and half way along I took a little break and had something to eat and listened to some tunes. From here I had a great view over to Beinn Bharrain and to the Paps of Jura.
cir mhor 108wh.jpg
Paps of jura

The gray skies had cleared again and i was off on my way again up towards Cir Mhor.
I could now get a good view of Caisteal Abhail.
cir mhor 129wh.jpg
Caisteal Abhail

And Cir Mhor looks totally different from here .Looks like an old bearded man face.
The walk up to the summit from here is straightforward , which I don`t think can be said from the other side. And the view down to Glen Rosa and across to Goat Fell is brilliant.
cir mhor 087wh.jpg
Goat Fell

cir mhor 133.JPG
Glen Rosa

I scrambled my way up the last few metres to the narrow, rocky summit and felt great. I did at at last. And the views were to die for .
cir mhor 130wh.jpg
Glen Rosa

cir mhor 145wh.jpg
Me

cir mhor 148wh.jpg
Witches Step

cir mhor 156wh.jpg
Goat fell

I hung around for ten minutes, before heading off. It was 3.20pm, the next ferry was at 4.40pm and the one after was 6.00pm . I can make that first Ferry i thought. It was 5km between here and my bike and another 5 or so to the boat. Could I make it ? Feck it, let`s go, I started to make my way down the Coire quickly and then a full on run towards my bike. I struggled but kept going, making it to my bike at 20 past 4. the only chance to cath it was if it was delayed, well they`re always delayed aren`t they ? I pushed myself along the glen, but much of it is rocky and then uphill and it was hard going. I approached Brodick and could see the Ferry at the harbour and my spirits were raised,I`m going to make it...................then the big boat started to drift away. :(
A good effort, i thought , so decided to treat myself to a chippy and then a pint in the Douglas Hotel.
Attachments
cir mhor 128wh.jpg
Cir Mhor
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:185   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Re: Cir Mhor, at last

Postby Chris Mac » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:11 pm

Great report Tomy and nice to see another person on Arran doing a route i've not done yet. The views from Beinn a'Chliabhain up to Beinn Nuis and Beinn Tarsuinn look superb and it was nice to see the old man from the other side. :)

The rock formations on that range are amazing. I'm glad you got to bag Cir Mhor at last, it's a cracking wee mountain with many faces and lots to play on and those views, wow! Some of your pics are stunning, the Caisteal Abhail and Witches Step ones in particular. :clap:
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:45 pm

Great report, and some really excellent pics. :clap: :clap: Such a wonderful place; and so close to the smoke! Fantastic.

I walked the ridge last Sunday, and it was truly wonderful. But I think if I was to do it again, I'd do an overnighter so I wasn't so rushed. Like you, we also tried to get the penultimate ferry with an hour and 25 minutes available from the top of Goat Fell - but failed miserably. Even jogging hard, it took us an hour to get to Glen Rosa campsite, and then there just wasn't time to pack up the tent and get to the pier.

But it did mean we could spend a leisurely hour in a building of cultural, architectural and historical interest (aka the Ormisdale) and from thence stroll in relaxed fashion to the pier; and, to top it all, experience a most awesome sunset over magical Arran.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby ancancha » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:50 am

The witches step looks tricky :!:
Nice photos including the damsel fly, great colour :clap:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby tomyboy73 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:45 pm

Thanks for the nice comments, it's a cracking place
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby Beaner001 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:40 pm

Best of the bunch on Arran, ask a kid to draw a mountain and it'll look like that, nice report :clap:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby gaffr » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:20 am

Hello,
It is always pleasing to see yours and Altenacker's recent report and images of the Arran tops. We became fairly familiar with the rocky Arran hills in the late '60's when it seemed to the camping choice of venue for the Spring holiday week-end....greatly influenced by the folks from the Ferranti club. :) A train, straight after work, from Edinburgh to Glasgow followed by a quick dash to reach the station for the service to the Ayrshire coast. An overnight sleep on the pier before the Ferry in the morning....at first it went from Fairlie and in later years from Ardrossan?
As I remember the 'sharper sections' of the Pagoda Ridge were in the initial pitches. But what about the South Ridge of Cir Mhor? a beautiful piece of rock architecture which when taken directly is a fine classical route in wonderful surroundings. Arran, as a venue, has something to please everyone who wanders around in the hills.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby tomyboy73 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:47 am

Beaner001 wrote:Best of the bunch on Arran, ask a kid to draw a mountain and it'll look like that, nice report :clap:

Yip. It is how a mountain should look :lol:
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby tomyboy73 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:50 am

gaffr wrote:Hello,
It is always pleasing to see yours and Altenacker's recent report and images of the Arran tops. We became fairly familiar with the rocky Arran hills in the late '60's when it seemed to the camping choice of venue for the Spring holiday week-end....greatly influenced by the folks from the Ferranti club. :) A train, straight after work, from Edinburgh to Glasgow followed by a quick dash to reach the station for the service to the Ayrshire coast. An overnight sleep on the pier before the Ferry in the morning....at first it went from Fairlie and in later years from Ardrossan?
As I remember the 'sharper sections' of the Pagoda Ridge were in the initial pitches. But what about the South Ridge of Cir Mhor? a beautiful piece of rock architecture which when taken directly is a fine classical route in wonderful surroundings. Arran, as a venue, has something to please everyone who wanders around in the hills.

Hi. Glad you liked it and happy that it stirred some memories for you.
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby kevsbald » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:19 pm

Cir Royale!
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland