walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Bhuidhe what waterfall ?

Beinn Bhuidhe what waterfall ?

by ancancha » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:27 pm

Route description: Beinn Bhuidhe, via Glen Fyne

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bhuidhe

Date walked: 22/08/2015

Time taken: 6.2 hours

Distance: 22.12 km

Ascent: 1144m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Beinn Bhuidhe what waterfall ?

Postby katyhills » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:05 pm

Re the festival - I was in Glen Fyne for a walk up to the dam when the festival was on. It seems well supported - load of people camping. There was a reasonable amount of water in the waterfall when I was there. The long winter and extra snowmelt possibly made it a bit more noticeable though.
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby teaandpies » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:44 pm

katyhills wrote:Re the festival - I was in Glen Fyne for a walk up to the dam when the festival was on. It seems well supported - load of people camping. There was a reasonable amount of water in the waterfall when I was there. The long winter and extra snowmelt possibly made it a bit more noticeable though.

Get yourself along next time. There were tons of people with dogs, a lot of which seemed really uncomfortable.

Get to the pub VERY early for the quiz. We couldn't even get in the beer garden.
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby ancancha » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:35 am

thomsok wrote:Good report, this is still on my list, will need to get my bike organised for it, as it looks a long way in. Going to promise myself a visit to the Loch Fyne Brewery bar as the incentive for getting it done. The Butterfly you have pictured is a Scotch Argus and I am with you on your bird picture - looks very much like a Raven!

Cheers for the butterfly identification thomok, the beers look nice on the web site, was thinking about buying some to try or at least looking out for them in the shops.
It would be a fun Munro and the views from the top would be special on a clear day.

teaandpies wrote:
katyhills wrote:Re the festival - I was in Glen Fyne for a walk up to the dam when the festival was on. It seems well supported - load of people camping. There was a reasonable amount of water in the waterfall when I was there. The long winter and extra snowmelt possibly made it a bit more noticeable though.

Get yourself along next time. There were tons of people with dogs, a lot of which seemed really uncomfortable.

Get to the pub VERY early for the quiz. We couldn't even get in the beer garden.

Would be nice if there was a bit more water in the streams at the top, but as the road and leat cross directly above where the waterfall is I doubt it will return to it's former glory :(
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby jmarkb » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:40 pm

We were up there on Saturday - a lovely day for it, too.

The new hydro tracks are really something of an eyesore. I was a bit surprised at the apparent shoddiness of the engineering - the catchment above Inverchorachan is just a rough ditch on the uphill side of a rather poorly constructed track, until it runs into a pipeline further towards the header pond. It looks designed to overflow into the burns quite readily, so the waterfall may well reappear after heavy rain!

On the plus side, the tracks do offer a quick return route if you don't have a bike, and the views from them are quite good. We descended the left (more easterly) fork leading to the turbine house at NN212149, but the final section is quite steep and skitey: I think it would be better to use the other fork which joins the forestry track shown on the OS maps.

Quite a trip down memory lane for me: Glenfyne Bothy (the first house on the left just past Glenfyne Lodge) was our family holiday cottage for about 10 years when I was wee from the mid 70's to mid 80's. A lot has changed since then: new houses, forestry plantations and now the hydro scheme, but it's still a lovely glen!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby ancancha » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:53 am

jmarkb wrote:We were up there on Saturday - a lovely day for it, too.

The new hydro tracks are really something of an eyesore. I was a bit surprised at the apparent shoddiness of the engineering - the catchment above Inverchorachan is just a rough ditch on the uphill side of a rather poorly constructed track, until it runs into a pipeline further towards the header pond. It looks designed to overflow into the burns quite readily, so the waterfall may well reappear after heavy rain!

On the plus side, the tracks do offer a quick return route if you don't have a bike, and the views from them are quite good. We descended the left (more easterly) fork leading to the turbine house at NN212149, but the final section is quite steep and skitey: I think it would be better to use the other fork which joins the forestry track shown on the OS maps.

Quite a trip down memory lane for me: Glenfyne Bothy (the first house on the left just past Glenfyne Lodge) was our family holiday cottage for about 10 years when I was wee from the mid 70's to mid 80's. A lot has changed since then: new houses, forestry plantations and now the hydro scheme, but it's still a lovely glen!

Always a strange feeling going back to old haunts after a long absence, especially childhood ones :!:

Not sure I can find NN212149, everything I'm using seems to be set up as Degrees, Minutes, Seconds :roll:

I did think the leat was a drainage ditch. What I saw was just a ditch on the upside of the track. I thought the track was well constructed, but I didn't venture to the end. I guess what may be happening is they have run out of loot to do a proper job and will now be generating revenue, excuse the pun, and at some point in the future will close it all up :?:

It had been raining quite a bit the couple of weeks before I went up and the ditch / leat was gushing, so not sure I have much hope for the waterfall :(
Katyhills did say there was a waterfall when she was up, but think it may have been before the scheme was opened :?:

The start / end of the track did look very steep, certainly if on a bike hike I'd be pushing up.
Definitely a big eyesore at the moment, though expect in a decade it will have blended in to some extent.
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Postby jmarkb » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:06 am

ancancha wrote:Not sure I can find NN212149, everything I'm using seems to be set up as Degrees, Minutes, Seconds

Try going to the GPS Planner on here and paste the GR into the "Go to" box!

ancancha wrote:The start / end of the track did look very steep, certainly if on a bike hike I'd be pushing up.

Yes, definitely not rideable at the start. The older track has a more reasonable gradient!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Postby ancancha » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:28 am

jmarkb wrote:
ancancha wrote:Not sure I can find NN212149, everything I'm using seems to be set up as Degrees, Minutes, Seconds

Try going to the GPS Planner on here and paste the GR into the "Go to" box!

ancancha wrote:The start / end of the track did look very steep, certainly if on a bike hike I'd be pushing up.

Yes, definitely not rideable at the start. The older track has a more reasonable gradient!

OK, that worked, I can see everything you are talking about now :roll:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Postby SecretSquirrel » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:53 pm

Good report. It looks like your views were very similar to mine on this hill. :lol: :lol:

I have to admit that it was quite depressing to see what has been done to this fyne secluded hill :( To see tracks further scaring the hill & removing its wild, remote feel, and drainage ditches depriving the Allt na Faing.
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Munros:124   Corbetts:26
Fionas:24   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1

Postby ancancha » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:45 pm

SecretSquirrel wrote:Good report. It looks like your views were very similar to mine on this hill. :lol: :lol:

I have to admit that it was quite depressing to see what has been done to this fyne secluded hill :( To see tracks further scaring the hill & removing its wild, remote feel, and drainage ditches depriving the Allt na Faing.

There had been a lot of rain in the preceding couple of weeks and even on the morning that I did it :!:
Some folk have suggested that the waterfall would still be there after rainfall and snow melt, though I doubt it will ever be the spectacular cascade I suspect it has been in the past :(
I guess over time the track will fade into the landscape, though at present it could probably be seen from space :(
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Postby JimboJim » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:54 pm

I just don't think that it it right that a waterfall can be 'vanished' to satisfy demand for one of these hydro projects. I may be wrong, but think there may be rules to prevent this, such as only allowed up to 50% from any intake, but might be wrong about this?

Anyway, this pic in April 2015, from another fall in the same scheme, off Clachan Hill, shows a bit more than 50%, even to the somewhat distant, naked eye!

Surely they can't take ALL the water? :shock:
Attachments
DSCN4401_1132_800.JPG
Now you see it, now you don't?
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Postby jmarkb » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:14 pm

It appeared to me that the intake ditch is designed to overflow the track where it crosses the various burns fairly readily once water levels get high.

ancancha wrote:There had been a lot of rain in the preceding couple of weeks and even on the morning that I did it

At that height, water levels will drop very rapidly as soon as it stops raining.....
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Postby ancancha » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:00 pm

jmarkb wrote:It appeared to me that the intake ditch is designed to overflow the track where it crosses the various burns fairly readily once water levels get high.

ancancha wrote:There had been a lot of rain in the preceding couple of weeks and even on the morning that I did it

At that height, water levels will drop very rapidly as soon as it stops raining.....

A tricky one to call jmarkb :?
If you look at my photo of the Sput Ban stream on the other side it is pouring down in comparison to the Allt na Faing, although they are about the same altitude.
The Sput Ban does have the wee lochans to feed it, but then the Allt na Faing has a way bigger catchment area, at least it did until the road and leat :!:
Ideally I want to have the waterfalls and the mountains in a natural state and an end to global warming as well :!:
Anyone for setting up a company which makes bespoke solar panels :?:
i.e. one's that are the shape of roofs and not just square :roll:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Postby ancancha » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:05 pm

JimboJim wrote:I just don't think that it it right that a waterfall can be 'vanished' to satisfy demand for one of these hydro projects. I may be wrong, but think there may be rules to prevent this, such as only allowed up to 50% from any intake, but might be wrong about this?

Anyway, this pic in April 2015, from another fall in the same scheme, off Clachan Hill, shows a bit more than 50%, even to the somewhat distant, naked eye!

Surely they can't take ALL the water? :shock:

I did notice the small pylons for hydro on that side as I cycled in JimboJim, though didn't notice any torrents down the gully's :(
Would thing in the current dash for hydro the rules will be more or less guidelines as they say :crazy:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Postby jmarkb » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:08 pm

Yes, you're right, hard to say. We'll just have to send you back when it's properly p***ing it down..... :wink:
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Postby ancancha » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:17 pm

jmarkb wrote:Yes, you're right, hard to say. We'll just have to send you back when it's properly p***ing it down..... :wink:

:lol: the thought did cross my mind :D
Kinda went "if you like I'll go back and biker hike it going up the new track to the end and back again, please post your requests for photos and information"
To be honest I'm about done sitting in the chair in front of the screen, so possibly in the next few days :!:
Though it hasn't rained for a while, not sure if this is :( or :D in this case :lol:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland