walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mullardoch Round - Full Metal Jacket

Mullardoch Round - Full Metal Jacket

by weaselmaster » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:27 pm

Munros included on this walk: An Riabhachan, An Socach (Affric), An Socach (Mullardoch), Beinn Fhionnlaidh (Càrn Eige), Càrn Eige, Càrn nan Gobhar (Loch Mullardoch), Màm Sodhail, Mullach na Dheiragain, Sgùrr na Lapaich, Sgùrr nan Ceathreamhnan, Toll Creagach, Tom a' Chòinich

Date walked: 17/08/2015

Time taken: 32.25 hours

Distance: 85.8 km

Ascent: 7038m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Mullardoch Round - Full Metal Jacket

Postby weaselmaster » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:44 pm

malky_c wrote:Not sure quite how you managed to order all of that good weather at the same time - I thought there was a quota of 1.5 days max before it started raining again :shock: 8) .

That's one of the best circuits I've seen of the loch - impressive sunsets and great light all of the way round. Some longish detours for tops as well...

Cheers, Malky - i was reading your endurance/ordeal in Argyll and thinking how much more pleasant the hills in the mullardoch area were to be in. None of that bracken and tree infested terrain you had to wade through :lol: I remember taking a similar "short cut" when doing Beinn Bhula and nearly expiring
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:197   Donalds:75+31
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby mamoset » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:53 pm

Awesome :clap: . The sunset and mirror finsh lochan must have looked a bit special.
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:41 pm

weaselmaster wrote:
Alteknacker wrote:
I've just sent the link for your report to my son, in the hope of catalysing some action. Ever since I did it, he's being saying he'd like to do it also, but over a couple of days at least; and if this doesn't stir him into action, nothing will!!

Thanks for the kind words....

It worked! Email this morning saying he's up for it in 2016. I absolutely knew that those seductive pics would do for him! :thumbup:

Thanks again!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Beaner001 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:39 pm

Excellent stuff Al, really fine read :clap:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby denfinella » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:04 pm

Beautiful sunrises, and from reading some of your other reports over the months you deserved a bit of good weather :wink:

You mentioned Skye - we happened to have our week's holiday there starting on the 17th so we were fortunate too!
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby dooterbang » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:05 pm

I thought you would like Blackadder. League of Gentleman too perhaps :wink:

Awesome round! Sorta changes my perspective in trying to do the round in one swoop, I'd miss most of this!

Some amount of time planning, executing, and writing up reports. It's all consuming, but in a very positive way. I find part of the buzz is the build up and the process of doing reports and sorting photos...and checking weather sites, although it appears you don't let that bother you :lol:

Glad you got the sun, was a long time coming :D
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby weaselmaster » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:28 pm

dooterbang wrote:I thought you would like Blackadder. League of Gentleman too perhaps :wink:

Awesome round! Sorta changes my perspective in trying to do the round in one swoop, I'd miss most of this!

Some amount of time planning, executing, and writing up reports. It's all consuming, but in a very positive way. I find part of the buzz is the build up and the process of doing reports and sorting photos...and checking weather sites, although it appears you don't let that bother you :lol:

Never watched League of Gentlemen, so no idea if I'd like it. No time for TV nowadays :lol:
Doing the round in a one-off would be too much for me by far. I'm quite old and can just about live with this now :wink:
I had previously considered doing the 10 Mamores or the Aonachs & Grey Corries in one go, but I just like shorter walks these days.

The weather is the weather and you either give in to it or get on with it. I'm facing a long drive up to Loch Maree this weekend to do special hills with a crap forecast because I want them done to schedule, and know if I wait for a better forecast a) it might be wrong anyway and b) I'll fall behind my schedule. That would be bad :lol:
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:197   Donalds:75+31
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby dooterbang » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:39 pm

weaselmaster wrote:
dooterbang wrote:I thought you would like Blackadder. League of Gentleman too perhaps :wink:

Never watched League of Gentlemen, so no idea if I'd like it. No time for TV nowadays :lol:
Doing the round in a one-off would be too much for me by far. I'm quite old and can just about live with this now :wink:
I had previously considered doing the 10 Mamores or the Aonachs & Grey Corries in one go, but I just like shorter walks these days.

The weather is the weather and you either give in to it or get on with it. I'm facing a long drive up to Loch Maree this weekend to do special hills with a crap forecast because I want them done to schedule, and know if I wait for a better forecast a) it might be wrong anyway and b) I'll fall behind my schedule. That would be bad :lol:

"shorter walks", your trips are unimaginable for most, seasoned walkers included! The stamina improves the older we get :wink: . I tend to chase the weather for the views, was fun times though when I used to just head out no matter the conditions. I'm thinking I should get a schedule though or I'll never finish one round of the Munros :shock: ! I did do the Mamores in one go when in my walking infancy, took 20 hours and never seen a thing :lol:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Mountainlove » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:04 pm

Wonderful report! I have done 9 out of the 12 during the same time you were there. Same we missed! The sunset photos are brilliant!! Well done that was quite an effort to combine all the tops as well! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:90   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby scottishkennyg » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:23 pm

A1 Al, some cracking sunset images up there on the ridge too..might need to get the tent out of the wrapper soon..Cheers Kenny
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland