walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Clachlet Traverse

Clachlet Traverse

Postby jac the lassie » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:26 pm

Munros included on this walk: Creise, Meall a' Bhùiridh, Stob a' Choire Odhair, Stob Ghabhar

Date walked: 22/08/2015

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 21.5 km

Ascent: 2434m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I took a notion to do the black mount the traditional way whilst I passed doing the west Highland way. I fancied some company for it though, so I put a note up on the meet up board.
I've done this a few times and have met some really lovely people off the forum, so I had high hopes.
I haven't been axe murdered.................yet! :shock: :lol:
This time was no different. I'd be having the lovely company of Laura, James, Dave and Jake the dog.

Clachlet traverse.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We met at 7.30 at Victoria bridge. I wanted to start from the ski centre end, as I figured it would be easier to navigate from, if the clag came down. So James kindly gave us all a lift round. The skyline race was on but still easy to park, loads of spaces in the car park.

The route up was easy, past the ski runs, looking very sad out of season.

688_750356731.JPG
Ski runs looking a bit sad

You gain height very quickly and an hour and a half later we where on the top of Meall a'Bhuridh, pondering how they got a little orange excavator up near the top. :lol:
Quick stop then on to the lovely ridge towards Creise.

688_750337782.jpg
The ridge along to creise

688_750337861.jpg
Looking back to Meall a'Bhuridh

688_750337752.jpg
Plenty snow patches about still

Easy walk up to Creise from the cairn at the end of the ridge. We where then passed by a runner :shock: maybe just running for the sake of it? If not he was seriously off route :lol: :crazy: :lol:

688_750338203.JPG
Buachaille etive mor hiding behind creise

Back to the cairn then straight on to Clach Leathad. Luckily the weather was ok at the point and the Bealach Fuar-chataidh was fairly obvious. Though we dropped of about 50mtrs to early and had to contour over a bit to miss a steep drop. It's roughing going down slippy grass and boulders.

688_750357599.jpg
The Bhealaich Fuar-chataidh

Over the pass, we contoured around Creag Bhealaich and headed up on to Aonach Mor. The clag rolled in and our great luck with the weather had ran out. After a quick fuel stop we headed onwards. Straight forward and on to Stob Ghabhar.

688_750338049.jpg
Quick map check on Stob Ghabhar

Visability got worse as we passed over the Aonach Eagach. All very straight forwards though.

688_750338079.jpg
Aonach Eagach
Nothing to see here, move along.........

The scree path down of here isn't very nice. Very loose. But at the bottom you get a lovely view into Coirein Lochain.

688_750357945.JPG
Coirein Lochain

Now we only had one to go. Quite a pull up to Stob a'Choire Obhair at the end of a long day though, :lol: I had fallen back a little taking photos of some wee snow patches in the Lochain and managed to miss the great stag the others saw looming in the clag. James got cracking photo of it though! :clap:
Over to the summit, a few more pics, then straight down towards beinn toaig and on the path to take us back to the car park.

690_750337626.jpg
The route down, finally out of the clag

690_750337645.jpg
Pretty little orchids

Midges where horrendous back at the car park! First time they've been out in force all year and they where hungry.......very very hungry....
Only one thing to do..... run away!!!!

Great day, many giggles, lovely company, definitely a day to remember.
Jac :D
jac the lassie
Hill Bagger

Munros:73   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:24   

Re: Clachlet Traverse

Postby jamesb63 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:32 am

Really enjoyed this walk in very nice experienced company ,so a big thanks to all :clap: :clap:
Some extra pics of our day out
Clachlet Traverse 004.JPG
A nice start to the walk

Clachlet Traverse 014.JPG
Excavator near summit of Meall a'Bhuridh

Clachlet Traverse 007.JPG
Dave enjoying the views

Clachlet Traverse 011.JPG
View down Glen Etive

Clachlet Traverse 024.JPG
A different view on Stob Dearg Crowberry tower seen near the top

Clachlet Traverse 033.JPG
The Monarch in the mist about 30 metres from the summit of Stob a'Choire Odhair

Clachlet Traverse 034.JPG
Jake on the summit of Stob a Choire Odhair his 50th Munro in 14 weeks
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Munros:218   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland