walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben More - scorching heat but wet feet!

Ben More - scorching heat but wet feet!

Postby Jaxter » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:48 pm

Route description: Ben More and Stob Binnein

Munros included on this walk: Ben More, Stob Binnein

Date walked: 23/08/2015

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 1600m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After looking at my diary and realising that I had a whole day off, and also that the weather was going to play ball, I couldn't resist heading for the mountains. I spent and hour searching for my map case, had a terrible night's sleep due to hayfever and discovered that the last train home from Crianlarich was 7.30. I also had a split in one of my boots. Not ideal... I would be arriving into Crianlarich at just before 11, had a 2 mile walk down the road, followed by a route which would take 6-8 hours followed by a 2 mile walk back. Could be cutting it fine :shock:

I decided that fortune favoured the brave and decided to go for it :roll:

The sun was shining, the views were great and I hadn't a care in the world as I marched off down the A85 towards Ben More Farm, the start of my route.

From the farm, the track was relatively easy going, but as soon as I ventured off the path and headed straight up the mountain it became very steep. In retrospect I don't think it's as bad as a lot of people claim, but at the time I was finding it pretty tough. Very steep, very boggy and the sun was beating down on me. There is one thing to be said for it however - it's very direct! The path was much clearer than I had anticipated, and although I was somewhat apprehensive about accidentally ending up in then hanging corrie (I had been warned of fatalities there), there was never any real danger.

I reached the top and was very nearly blown straight off again! It was incredibly windy and nearly lost my hat - I had to run after it! I danced around the cairn and then headed straight back down. The decent to Bealach-eader-dha Beinn was steep and a bit slidy. There was a wee bit where I had to do a bit of a scramble - avoidable, but where's the fun in that!

Looking back to Ben More

I admired the giant bolder and headed up Stob Binnein. The climb was much kinder than Ben More and should have been a relief but my legs had turned to jelly and I had to have several water and munchy breaks on the way up. I met a man coming down who told me I was nearly there. It sure didn't feel like it!!

On the way up Stob Binnein

I eventually made it, and as the wind was less insane I was able to stop to enjoy the scenery (and my sandwiches.) At this point I realised that there was no danger of me missing my train, as it was only just gone 2 o clock and I'd been going only 3 hours. Hindsight eh.

Ben More 'the beast' from Stob Binnein summit

I think this is Cruach Ardrain & Beinn Tulaichean

The route down to Inverlochlarig

Summit selfie

Ben More

I took my time heading back down to the bealach for a wee water break

I set off West straight down the mountainside *cough* giant bog *cough* My feet became even wetter and I went sliding a couple of times. The weather was getting hotter and I had to stop off and suncream myself and refill bottles at a convenient waterfall.

Looking back up

Eventually I reached the track which took me back down to Ben More farm.

Ben More Farm

2 miles back up the road and I collapsed over a table at the Rod and Reel with a large orange juice. I made the 5.30 train!

Ben More from the station

The walk itself had taken under 5 hours, plus 4 miles along the road in around 45 minutes. I would come to seriously regret this insane pace 2 days later. Ouch.

I'm looking forward to getting myself some new boots - anyone have any recommendations?!

The 5.30am start and 20 minute uphill walk to work the next day was agony. Totally worth it though. Here's to the next day off!! 8)
Last edited by Jaxter on Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaxter
Mountain Walker

Munros:199   Corbetts:106
Grahams:43   Donalds:45
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:53   

Re: Ben More - scorching heat but wet feet!

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:55 pm

Well done you ! :clap: looks a fine day
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:171
Grahams:55   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:45   Hewitts:23
Wainwrights:33   

Postby katyhills » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:05 pm

Well done! Nice report :D It's a bit of a slog up Ben More but Stob Binnein is much nicer. They're an impressive pair of hills. I didn't get views from the top of either as the cloud was down at around 100 metres from the summit but it was scorchio below that! The bealach boulder is impressive isn't it?
I have to admit I'd find it quite stressful knowing I had to get back for a train or bus. So much easier with a car!

I'm about to buy new boots too - all the peat hags this year have wrecked mine beyond repair. They owe me nothing though. Someone was recommending Zamberlains which I wasn't familiar with, and there are no stockists withing easy reach, but I had my eye on some Scarpas as they fit me well. By chance, I read a review of some Hi tecs - which I would never normally look at. The reviewer was testing them for a mag or website, and went into a lot of detail about them, saying that they were made by one of the big names . The pic looked exactly like the Scarpas I'd looked at. I've taken a punt and ordered a pair as, again, no one stocks them locally. I'll see what happens when I get them! :)
There are quite a lot of equipment and gear reviews on here so perhaps it's worth taking a look. It's probably best to go and try as many pairs on as possible. It's such a personal thing - what suits one person won't suit another, and it's so important thing to get boots right.
katyhills
Walker

Munros:117   Corbetts:26
Grahams:7   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   

Postby ancancha » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:55 pm

katyhills wrote:
I'm about to buy new boots too - . It's such a personal thing - what suits one person won't suit another, and it's so important thing to get boots right.

Nice report and photos Jaxter :clap:
You keeping us in suspense and withholding your boulder photo :?:

I had planned to do this four today, it was the weather for it, but stuff happened :roll:

Comfortable dry boots make for happy walking :D
May have been me recommending the Zamberlans, but as you say it is very much a personal thing.
One thing I would say is that I went for softer leather Meindls initially, but even with expensive insoles they just don't give me the support that the harder leather Zamberlans do, especially on long tough walks and scrambles.
The downside is that the thicker leather is hotter and my feet do cook a bit on hot long walks during the summer :roll:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Grahams:1   Donalds:1

Postby teaandpies » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:14 am

ancancha wrote:
katyhills wrote:
I'm about to buy new boots too - . It's such a personal thing - what suits one person won't suit another, and it's so important thing to get boots right.

Nice report and photos Jaxter :clap:
You keeping us in suspense and withholding your boulder photo :?:

I had planned to do this four today, it was the weather for it, but stuff happened :roll:

Comfortable dry boots make for happy walking :D
May have been me recommending the Zamberlans, but as you say it is very much a personal thing.
One thing I would say is that I went for softer leather Meindls initially, but even with expensive insoles they just don't give me the support that the harder leather Zamberlans do, especially on long tough walks and scrambles.
The downside is that the thicker leather is hotter and my feet do cook a bit on hot long walks during the summer :roll:

There's only 1 place for me to get my boots and that's 'Craigdon Mountain Sports' Inverness. I spent well over 90 minutes with 'Colin' trying on boots and getting me feet checked out. I was made to do some crazy exercise move and stuff because he was actually checking my knees my movements etc.
The man changed my whole walking life. I've not had a blister or sore knee since that day. I live in Glasgow but I'll be traveling to Inverness for boots!

Walking to a time limit is never fun, I've done it a few times and I found myself blasting the walk and blasting myself at that! I had a chuckle at your orange juice, for whatever crazy reason the last few times I have come off a hill I have wanted to drink a Coke...a drink I don't normally go for.
Look's like you got the last of the good weather, the forecast is not looking great for the rest of the week :(
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:94   Corbetts:16
Grahams:8   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:6

Postby Jaxter » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:37 pm

Thanks everyone for your advice about boots. I've not really had much chance to do research yet but will definitely look up some of these.

I can't believe I forgot to get a boulder photo! Next time...
Jaxter
Mountain Walker

Munros:199   Corbetts:106
Grahams:43   Donalds:45
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:53   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland