walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lochalsh Dirty 30 Challenge Route From Shiel Bridge Campsite

Lochalsh Dirty 30 Challenge Route From Shiel Bridge Campsite

Postby walk aboot » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:23 pm

Route description: The Lochalsh Dirty 30 Challenge

Date walked: 27/06/2010

Time taken: 15 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

For this year’s work fundraiser some eejit (wait a minute that was me :? ) thought it would be a good idea to do the Lochalsh Dirty 30 Challenge. Not all of us could make the official event, so we decided to do the route on our own a couple of weeks after. The Lochalsh Dirty 30 (so called because it is muddy in places) is a 30-miles circular walk through some fantastic scenery in the Highlands.

There is a description and map of the route here on Walk Highlands (with a link to the official event included) :D .

On Saturday six of us headed up to Shiel Bridge campsite, pitched our tents, had a barbeque, and then popped into the Kintail Lodge Hotel for a couple of drinks and a listen to the acoustic band :thumbup: .

On Sunday morning we decided to start the walk straight from the campsite, which is on the route. (The official start point is the village hall in Glenelg, 13 miles away).

Glen 1.JPG
Glen Walk 1

Glen 2.JPG
Glen Walk 2

The first part of our walk (Shiel Bridge to Balvraid via Moyle – 8 miles) was through terrific scenery; roaming through glens mostly, with some forest tracks and country roads. I was so confident we were going to spy an eagle somewhere in this 30-miles landscape that I put a wager on with Bendy (yup, the very same who was with me on a recent jaunt to the Lairig Ghru – he’s one of my work mates).

River.JPG
River View

Forest Track.JPG
Forest Track

We reached the highest point in the walk, Loch Coire nan Crogachan (one of the good things about starting this route from the campsite – get the hike upwards out of the way early), and I was cursing myself a little for carrying my walking boots in my rucksack and adding extra weight. (I was wearing my walking trainers but took the boots along just incase).

Loch Coire nan Crogachan.jpg
Loch Coire nan Crogachan

We also passed the Suardalan bothy (well worth a look in and a scribble in the visitors’ book).

Suardalan Bothy.JPG
Suardalan Bothy

The next part of our walk (Balvraid to Glenelg – 5 miles) takes you past the amazing Glenelg brochs. Top tip: expect to waste a lot of time here, for ooh-ing and aah-ing and photos-taking.

Dun Troddan Broch.JPG
Dun Troddan Broch

Dun Telve Broch.JPG
Dun Telve Broch

Nibbler.jpg
Wee Nibbler

Glenelg is not the half-way point, but it sure does feel like it when you spy a sign for a pub that is open and welcome for business on a Sunday :D :D :D .

Glenelg Inn 1.JPG
A pub, ya dancer!

Glenelg Inn 2.JPG
Oi team, wait for me, mine's a half pint of shandy please!

As five of us sat admiring the view in the beer garden, our work mate Joe, who is an Englishman, sat with others in the bar to watch the match. We heard the cheers and laughter as Germany scored, and then again, cheers and laughter. Joe joined us in the beer garden, defeated :? :lol: .

Glenelg Inn 3.JPG
Glenelg Inn Beer Garden View

Glenelg Tree Swing.JPG
Found a tree swing at Glenelg Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Loch Alsh 1.JPG
Loch Alsh View 1

Loch Alsh 2.JPG
Loch Alsh View 2

Loch Alsh 3.JPG
Loch Alsh Roadside Onwards and Upwards

Part of the next stage of the walk (Glenelg to Totaig – 10 miles) is the Lochalsh Dirty 30 in all of its glory: it involves crossing a river (okay granted, we did cross at the widest point, but it was hot and we fancied a dip); and then a muddy trek through a forest :shock: . (If you do the walk from the official start point, then you’ll reach this bit early on and probably be wearing muddy wet boots for the rest of the day – the fun of doing the actual Challenge I suppose :) ).

Joe the Wader.JPG
River crossing

Forest at Night.JPG
Uh oh, if you go down to the woods tonight

At the other side of the river, I had the coolest and jammiest moment ever...

Whilst the others were busy emptying the water out of their boots, or putting them back on over their soaked through socks, I pulled a fresh pair of socks AND boots out of my rucksack and put them on 8) .

‘We haven’t seen an eagle yet, Janet.’ Bendy moaned for the umpteenth time.
‘Look, there’s a sea E-gull!’
Huh, he didn’t fall for my mock sightings either :roll: .

We did eventually see a sea eagle flying over Loch Duich (and I won the bet :P ).

Sea Eagle.jpg
Naw it isnae a sea E gull, it's a sea eagle!

Loch Duich.JPG
Loch Duich 1

The final stretch of our walk (Totaig to Shiel Bridge – 7 miles) was ouch (midge/cleg bites and blisters) but the views were still fantastic :D . (By this time we had been walking for miles and miles alongside, or with views of, loch after loch).

Rainbow Loch.jpg
Loch Duich 2

Eilean Donan.JPG
Dornie and Eliean Donan (where Loch Duich meets Loch Long)

The walk took us 15 hours in all (9am to midnight), although we are plodders, and it usually takes about 12 hours. I would definitely recommend this walk, just for the views alone :thumbup: . You can do it over two days, and start anywhere on the route.
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Re: Lochalsh Dirty 30 Challenge Route From Shiel Bridge Campsite

Postby magicdin » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:44 pm

good stuff Janet and well done to your team - the photo of the rainbow is terrific :D
how was the weather ? - I passed through glen shiel on sunday evening (just after 7.pm)
weather was ok at west end but stoating it down towards Bunloyne
(maybe the old "Cluanie Curtain" was in your favour)
I remembered you were on your walk and wondered just how you were all getting on.

ps what did you win on your bet with Bendy - an extra shandy ? - some compeed ?
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby walk aboot » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:53 pm

Hi magicdin, the weather was terrific for most of the walk - I think we had about 3 brief showers in all, the first 2 we were glad of to cool down a wee bit, and by the 3rd (at night) we were so tired we didn't feel a thing (except our on fire feet!!!). You should have popped along to say hello :) (we were easy enough to catch up with, walking at snails pace :? ).

The scenery was fantastic - I was chuffed to bits being in that area over a couple of days (only ever passed through on the bus or in a car before). Definitely heading back that way soon!

Oh I always have wagers on with Bendy, he owes me another fiver :lol: (might let him off though because the sea eagle and rainbow photos are his good work, not mine).
walk aboot

Postby magicdin » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:03 pm

yep - it is a terrific area - not just a munro baggers paradise
the Kintail Lodge Hotel does great food :thumbup:
magicdin
Rambler

Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:21 pm

Really enjoyed that report and the photos :D . I've not really ventured into this area yet but this has definitely inspired me. Its good to know there is so much good low level walking there for those days when the Cluanie Curtain descends.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby mountain coward » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:59 pm

Some superb photos there WA - love the river one near the beginning but there's also some fantastic ones later too... on the Loch Duich 1 shot, what on earth is that thing that all the logs are on?
mountain coward

Postby malky_c » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:17 pm

Lovely. Have heard of the dirty 30 before, but didn't actually know where it went. The Loch Alsh bit is nice - I remember doing that bit as a family walk years ago.

Slight clash of work and leisure for me here though. I was looking at a couple of your photos and thinking "yes, it will be possible to run a water main alongside that road" :lol:
malky_c

Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby walk aboot » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:42 am

:lol: @ malky_c's work-head.

Between the 6 of us MC we've got hundreds of photos - I'll email you a few more :) .

Thanks LeithySuburbs, yup there are plenty of good walks to be had there :D .
walk aboot

Postby monty » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:19 am

Yep, nice report walkaboot,
Excellent pictures too. Nice rainbow :D
monty

Postby walk aboot » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:08 pm

Thanks Monty :)

Here's the link to the Walk Highlands route description:

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/kintail/dirty-30.shtml

Can anyone tell me how to copy the WH map routes into trip reports? I tried yesterday but couldn't do it.
walk aboot

Postby kevsbald » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:48 pm

Good effort, J.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby kinley » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:06 pm

Excellent!

Great rainbow pic and a nice one of the Sea Eagle - jealous :)
kinley

Postby walk aboot » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:47 pm

Thanks Kev and Kinley :)
walk aboot

Postby Paul Webster » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:19 pm

Loved the sea-eagle pic too - it looked easy to identify for a change :D

You want to put a map in a trip report? You can either draw your route on a map (click on the 'draw route' text when writing a report), or you can upload a gpx file that contains a route (in the same way as you upload photos). You can link your report to any walk on Walkhighlands too by using the option to choose a walk - this makes your report link to our route description near the top, and also adds a link to your report from the route description - I've already done this for your post :D

Baffled by the river crossing though.... our description seems to say there is a bridge :shock: (Helen walked the horrible boggy woodland bit from Ardintoul to Totaig :lol: )
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby walk aboot » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:37 pm

Thanks Paul :D

Oh the river, well...

That was the only bit of the walk where we lost the path (just before entering the muddy forest), the route according to the OS map had been spot on 'cept for that glitch. It was supposed to be next to a wee house but we couldn't see it anywhere, even nosed around the occupants garden. It was confusing too because the orange markers were still on the route from the official challenge a couple of weeks before, and we found them again in the same unlikely field filled with rotten felled logs that we decided to walk through. There would have been a narrow stream/bridge further up to cross, but we crossed the widest bit where it meets the loch because we couldn't be bothered walking an additional 10 minutes for this purpose alone, and it was fun to get wetter than expected in the hot weather, team spirits high and all :D .

P7270030.JPG
One of the Dirty 30 Orange Route Markers

If Helen's done the boggy woodland bit then that's the exact bit we're talking about. Did she cross a bridge just before it? We'd like to know because we're still a bit baffled by it.
walk aboot

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland